[SOLVED] PSU can still be repaired after possible power surge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2018
My power supply ax1200 corsair stop working after my avr fuse has blown up. (The fuse of the psu also got blown up after testing it to our local shop)

I know but its too late now that 1200w power supply should be supported by an ups and not by just a standard avr with 500w rating.

For the purpose of knowledge of everyone my whole system unit needs 550W only and the psu wattage calculator requires 650W rated psu.

Is it still possible to be repaired? Please help. Also my hard drive also got affected.

Reason i got 1200w because i want more room for upgrades

Solution

As far as i know, Corsair doesn't offer transferable warranty, unlike to Seasonic. In this case, buy a new PSU.

What's your full system specs so i can suggest proper wattage PSU, without making the same mistake you did by getting way overkill 1.2kW PSU.

AVR is Automatic Voltage...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
As far as repairing your PSU goes, under no circumstances, do not open your PSU in hopes of fixing it. Instead RMA your blown PSU and get a new one from Corsair. AX1200 comes with 7 years of warranty and provided that you didn't buy yours in 2010, you should still have some warranty left on it.

Nov 11, 2018

Here's the problem, i'm already the 3rd owner and i can't contact the 1st owner.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
What's an AVR?
Anyway yes a good electronics repair shop should be able to fix it, but depending on how badly damaged it might be cheaper to buy a new one.
Labour costs add up quickly and would be the biggest cost in repairing a PSU I expect.

You could try and find contact details for corsair and ask them if they have any authorised service agents in your area.

Nov 11, 2018

Im still trying to look for any repair shop that could handle this issue.

You have good point, i will look for any authorised service agent here in our area.

By the way avr stands for automated voltage regulator. It is like a ups but has no power back up or battery on it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

As far as i know, Corsair doesn't offer transferable warranty, unlike to Seasonic. In this case, buy a new PSU.

What's your full system specs so i can suggest proper wattage PSU, without making the same mistake you did by getting way overkill 1.2kW PSU.

AVR is Automatic Voltage Regulator. Here, take a read of this to educate yourself,
link: https://circuitglobe.com/automatic-voltage-regulator.html

It's really bad idea to try fixing PSU, especially if the one who fixes isn't on the Flextronics payroll. Also, the money wasted on fixing blown PSU most likely well exceeds the cost of new PSU, not to mention the time that takes fixing blown PSU. Even if it can be fixed at all.

Solution
Nov 11, 2018

I know that corsair can't cater any transferable warranty but i was hoping to meet the 1st owner and would gladly help me with warranty.

I already have rated psu running my system without gpu in it and its running smooth.
I bought the overkill psu in the 1st place to have more room for upgrades and bought it in na cheap price.

I know that fixing psu is dangerous but for the sake knowledge and the psu is dead i might get cheaper price. I know i might sounds stupid but im a computer engineering graduate and we build power supply in our project before but im no expert dealing with this types of models and this is my first case and im also searching and studying the circuitry of this psu.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair AX1200 is made by Flextronics and since it being 1.2kW the insides of it are very complex, making the studying of it very difficult task. Flextronics usually makes PSUs for servers and they are a rare sight in consumer PSU market. Only Corsair AX1200 PSU and Corsair's AXi lineup is made by Flextronics, while the rest is made by other PSU OEMs who are well known in consumer PSU market.

Your best source of outside info about AX1200 would be PSU reviews, e.g JonnyGuru,
link: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=189

Though, you'd have much easier life if you'd take 400W range unit to study it's guts. E.g very cheap and low quality Corsair VS450, made by HEC/Compucase.
When it comes to the complexity of PSUs; VS450 is like Ford Pinto while AX1200 is like Lamborghini Veneno. Good luck for figuring out how AX1200 works if you still want to pursue fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.