PSU Cap Popped?

AsadJ278

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Something really strange just happened to my pc and I dont know if it was down to my PSU or GPU. My pc was powered down and my GPU (ASUS GTX 970 STRIX) LED remained on as it usually does. But the whilst the pc was off I heard a pop and my GPU LED turned off for a few seconds then turned back on. My pc seems to be working fine but I just want to see if anyone has any idea why that happened. My psu is an XFX XTR 550w.

Solution
I agree with SR-71, it may well be nothing then if everything seems to run ok. Just watch everything like a hawk for instability. if you do get a scent of burning or anything like that then you may have an issue, but if not, there are any number of other harmless things that could have made that sound.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sounds like a cap popped to me, do you smell burning coming from the PSU? Otherwise inspect the motherboard, see if anything smells there. You will see a capacitor that popped clearly on a motherboard, it will be swollen and you may see the copper insides through the top.

If its the PSU it will likely still work although I highly recommend against continuing to use it.

AsadJ278

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

No burning or smell. The sound was very brief and the led flash was also brief. Is it possible for a cap to pop whilst the pc is off?

AsadJ278

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

Yeah nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I used a flashlight to look inside the grill of the psu and nothing seemed destroyed within.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes its possible, I edited my post inspect the motherboard and the GPU.

AsadJ278

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

Yep, checked all the caps on the mobo, they were fine. The gpu is working fine. It was really weird. What happens if the cap did pop on the psu and I keep using it?

AsadJ278

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

It was less of an electrical pop (I know what they sound like), it was like a thud or burst with the GPU LED turning off very briefly.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
This is the second time this week I've seen this issue. if its already popped it shouldn't do any more damage than it already has other than underpower things (if its the PSU), if its the GPU you will know it once you try and start a game. I would say try and start up the PC, and then launch 3d mark, or an intensive game, see what happens. If it gets all crazy then its the GPU. If it can't even stay stable enough to get to the game its more likely the PSU.

If it killed your hard drive or something, I'm sure you'll figure that out quickly.

AsadJ278

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

Gaming is fine. I think I may just be being a bit paranoid but there definitely was a noise and an led hiccup after I plugged in the monitor.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I agree with SR-71, it may well be nothing then if everything seems to run ok. Just watch everything like a hawk for instability. if you do get a scent of burning or anything like that then you may have an issue, but if not, there are any number of other harmless things that could have made that sound.

Solution