Question PSU chirping noise

May 4, 2019
Hello community,

I've just recently built a new gaming rig and noticed a strange chirping noise coming from the PSU.

This happens when the pc is turned on and off. The only way to stop the sound is to unplug the power cord connecting the PSU or by flicking off the PSU switch.

Things I've tried to resolve the issue without success:
a. plugging it into different wall sockets & power bricks
b. changing rooms and plugging it into different outlets
c. replacing the power cord with a spare one

I've since tested the PSU further by only plugging the power connectors (mobo, cpu & gpu) individually and have noticed that the PSU doesn't make any sound when plugged into CPU and GPU. It only chirps when plugging the 24 pin into the mobo.

The sound is definitely coming from inside the PSU.

Would this be a faulty PSU or a faulty mobo?

Thanks in advance for any help!

May 4, 2019
The 24-pin is what supplies the 5VSB to the MB, so that makes sense.

Most likely coil whine in that regulator circuit.

Any singing when the machine is powered-up?

Thank you so much for your reply. The noise is constant whether the pc is under load or shutdown. It doesn't get any louder or quieter.

Edit: Or when it is in the process of powering up.

May 4, 2019
Thanks all for confirming my suspicion that it is indeed the PSU.

This is a new PSU & new gaming comp (1 week old).

Strangely, I did bring the PSU back to where I purchased it from for assessment but when they tested it everything was in perfect working order.

I will be going back tomorrow and hopefully it'll be resolved as this is really preventing me from enjoying my new pc. T.T

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Take my advice they wont replace it for you, they'll keep saying there is nothing wrong wiht it because they don't care about the noise it makes its like nah its fine but take my advice and other people advice and buy a tier 1 power supply.

May 4, 2019
Take my advice they wont replace it for you, they'll keep saying there is nothing wrong wiht it because they don't care about the noise it makes its like nah its fine but take my advice and other people advice and buy a tier 1 power supply.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know much about PC parts in general so I don't know what tier 1 is.

Are you referring to specific brands (evga & seasonic) or specific models of psu?

Thanks for your time,

DSzymborski

Titan
It's not fifth-tier on this list, it's third-tier. You're looking at the older, crappier CX series with the group regulation with the green letters, he's got the modern DC-DC one with gray letters and a generally better capacitor situation. It's not an amazing PSU by any means, but it's perfectly fine for builds on the budget end unless he has a really power-hungry GPU (OP: This is why it's important to always provide all your specs on questions)

OP, retailers generally give you 30 days to make returns. Rather than ask them to look at it, just return the PSU and buy another one. If that's not an option for some reason, contact Corsair.

DSzymborski

Titan
3rd tier is not the greatest i would save up and sit for a week or two without pc and buy a really good power supply that last for years.

No, it's not the greatest power supply by any means and I personally use top-tier power supplies in each one of the four or five rigs I have active at any time in my office. But it's just not fair to characterize it as junk; the OP's power supply is a decent budget one, not lower-end garbage. Depending on his specs and budget, it may be the correct choice.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
None the less, its all opinions and it all goes back to the OP eitherways.
Well it can be good enough for him now, but in the future he should consider buying a better one.
And no, am not being judgmental about his power supply or characterize it as junk, but i just had a bad experience with them and i wouldn't like someone to spend a lot of money on fixing after it.

May 4, 2019
It's not fifth-tier on this list, it's third-tier. You're looking at the older, crappier CX series with the group regulation with the green letters, he's got the modern DC-DC one with gray letters and a generally better capacitor situation. It's not an amazing PSU by any means, but it's perfectly fine for builds on the budget end unless he has a really power-hungry GPU (OP: This is why it's important to always provide all your specs on questions)

OP, retailers generally give you 30 days to make returns. Rather than ask them to look at it, just return the PSU and buy another one. If that's not an option for some reason, contact Corsair.
Unfortunately I have to go through their own tech support where they first test the faulty item. From there it is up to them to issue warranty,exchange,refund etc. I really hope they aren't trying to delay my claim. I am so sad with this faulty PSU T.T. I can't enjoy my newly built pc.