[SOLVED] PSU doesnt disclose wattages.

Oct 22, 2018

Well if it is a 240W one how does it run my i5 4670k and gtx 750 ti? Also i meant i was going to upgrade my gpu not cpu. Thanks for the quick answer

240W on the 12V rail, that's what matters on modern systems. THE CPU/MB/ and GPU all run on the 12V rail.

The PSU is VERY OLD.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the age is the issue really. in the past the 3.3 and 5v rails were important as many things used it. that has changed and now almost everything runs off the 12v rail. mobo, cpu, hdd's, gpu all run from 12v rail.

your gpu now is very low power and likely does not use anything but mobo power. if you upgrade that to a newer card that also does not use any extra power, then you should be ok. i believe the 1050ti is about the strongest you can get that only uses the pcie slot for power. i doubt the psu has any 6 or 8 pin power leads anyway. stick with a low power card and you should be alright for now. but that psu really should be replaced sooner rather than later.

it probably does not have many built in protections if any and when it finally dies it will likely take parts with it since it can't protect the parts it powers.that's the main concern with using such an old and low end psu.

bignastyid

Titan

Good PSU's will be rated for at or close to what their 12v rail(s) is rated for. In modern systems the 12v rail is the most used rail. So with a 20a 12v rail the psu should be treated like a 240w PSU