[SOLVED] PSU Dying?

lewy120

Reputable
Nov 28, 2017
Hey guys,
Recently over the past couple weeks when booting up my PC sometimes my peripherals arent booting up with it (mouse keyboard monitor etc).
As of this week and 1/2 ive had two kernel power errors (41) the usual, usually when im on a game.

Wondering if its my PSU on its way out or maybe even a GPU failure or CMOS battery?
Specs are as follows;

Motherboard is Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K3
AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
16gb RAM
GTX 1070 ti
750W Corsair Gold PSU (Cant remember exact model)

Solution
First check that all cables, video card, and RAM are connected and seated properly.

If still having issues, then try another known working PSU as a test.
If the computer runs fine with the test PSU, then the original PSU is likely to be faulty.
If the computer still has issues then try the following.

If still having issues, then try another known working video card as a test.
If the computer runs OK, then the original video card is likely to be faulty.
If the computer still has issues, then it is suspected that the motherboard may be faulty.
Sudden shutdowns are usually PSU or temperature related. To evaluate the chances of it being the PSU more accurately we'd need to know brand, model and age. Obviously that may not tell everything about the PSU but it helps. Have you checked CPU and GPU temps to see if there's a problem there?

Reactions: extreme_noob
First check that all cables, video card, and RAM are connected and seated properly.

If still having issues, then try another known working PSU as a test.
If the computer runs fine with the test PSU, then the original PSU is likely to be faulty.
If the computer still has issues then try the following.

If still having issues, then try another known working video card as a test.
If the computer runs OK, then the original video card is likely to be faulty.
If the computer still has issues, then it is suspected that the motherboard may be faulty.

Solution

lewy120

Reputable
Nov 28, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys.
My cpu and gpu temps all appear completely normal, gpu sitting between 65-80 at any time and cpu never going all that high either.The problem as it stands is pretty inconsistent and doesn’t seem to be reoccurring all the time at a specific point,
I’ll open it up when I get a chance and reseat everything and go from there. I’ll post again if I run into any problems
Cheers!

lewy120

Reputable
Nov 28, 2017
My psu is a Corsair RM650x, just reseated everything as I’ve went to turn it on this evening and my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor) Weren’t booting but the pc was, that’s the second time now the peripherals haven’t booted, first time it fixed after a hard shutdown and turn on again.

My entire setup is maybe only just about 2 years old for info if thats of any use.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, that's a rock-solid PSU, shouldn't be giving you trouble.

I do know that once in a very great while, I'd have a mouse or keyboard (or both) not light up, or get stuck. Unplugging them from the PC and plugging them back in resolved the issue. I'd say I can count on one had the number of times this has ever happened to me, though.

As for the display... maybe try connecting to a different port on the GPU? I only say this because something like that happened to my brother's 3 year old GPU once. He was getting odd display issues, blanking, etc.,and swapping HDMI cables didn't help. Swapping to a different HDMI port also didn't help for him. But, when he got a DP cable and used the DP port, suddenly everything was fine.

I'm kind of grasping at straws here, but it couldn't hurt to try.

TRENDING THREADS