PSU electrical noise, even low load

Tech_Knife

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Hello Everybody
Afew days a go a friend gave me a 500w psu that he found in his garage. I got it and i tested it (I have a psu tester), and it turned on, it worked fine except a minor electrical noise, then I put it to my pc. Before putting in this 500w psu, I had a 300w. When I conected to the pc, pressed pwr button cpu fan spinned for a while but didnt turn on, Then I removed the gpu(20W) and tried again.Then it powered on, the noise was still there. I turned off, put the gpu in, and turned on. This time turned on with the gpu inside. Then I wanted to put on some load. I opened bo2 and started playing. After 10 mins one of psu caps exploded and pc turned off. After that PC wasnt damaged at all. I went to the store and bought 2 caps and replaced them ( bought 2 cause other cap looked defective too). I tested again with psu tester and the electrical noise is still there. And now I am a bit afraid to put it again the PC.

PSU Make: Winstar
PSU model:ws-atx-500
Tests: 5VSB= 5.1V +5V=5.3V +3.3V= 3.4V +12V1=12.1V +12V2= 12.2v -12V= 11.6V PING=346ms

Tech_Knife

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

No, isnt a spike and isnt a big noise its a continous noise that comes from the caps
The fuse didnt blow

Tech_Knife

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

U right but I hardly will be able to find any quality brands here in Albania, And here pc components cost twice as much as in USA