Question PSU Fan(?) Rattling noise. Need advice.

Jul 19, 2022
PSU Rattling noise

Hello. I need some help regarding how to fix the PSU Rattling noise I'm having.

Here is video of the problem, and overview of the PSU's position inside the case.
I previously installed it on a case where the PSU is hanging. This is what I mean by hanging
The fan seems to be the problem, but it is not dying, nor is the PSU, because when I used it in my "hanging" case, it was not making this noise.

I have tried reseating the power supply, but to no avail. Still makes noise.
On a later date, I will try to reseat it again.
Tilting the case, as shown on the video, reduces or removes the rattling noise.
Should I remove the PSU fan grille thing? Maybe that's what's causing the problem?
The PSU is a Yi Do 750w 80+ Bronze. It's unknown, probably risky, but back home it's known to be reliable. (Don't have money to replace it yet.)

EDIT: Did some tests. Does not rattle when facing upwards, but if lied down and facing downwards (I made sure to give some space for air) it rattles. The grill is not the problem, since the PSU still rattles despite it being uninstalled.

I cannot afford another PSU, but either way, I will still have to buy one. It seems that while re-screwing the grille, the screws of the grille held up the fan as well, so it made some grinding noise when I started the system with the PSU facing downwards after screwing it back in again.
I hope there's other options than having to purchase a new power supply, since this is my daily driver and I'm a bit tight on money right now

Other system specifications:
Processor: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: AsRock B450M Steel Legend (Bios p4.20)
RAM: Avexir Core 2 RGB 2x8(16 total) 3200MHz DDR4
GPU: Powercolor RX 580 4GB
Storage devices:
WD Blue 500GB HDD
Ramsta 120GB SSD
Case: Rakk Anyag

Looking forward to a reply.
Thank you for the help in advance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

Fan bearings most likely are going bad / are bad. I wouldn't advising opening the unit up unless you know what you are doing, Certain items can still hold a charge in that unit even when unplugged.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, different orientation leading to different sounds makes me think that the Captain is right on here. Failing fan bearing.

I'm not sure how this PSU is "known to be" reliable. I've never known a reliable PSU that had a fraudulent 80 Plus logo -- they're not in the 80 Plus database. And actual 750W Bronze-rated PSUs of any quality cannot be purchased for 1200 Philippine pesos (for those unaware, that's the equivalent of $20 and PSUs are more expensive there). Unfortunately, a lot of fly-by-night companies dump ultra-cheap, dangerous, fake PSUs on SE Asia countries.

Hopefully you replace this very quickly; otherwise, I certainly wouldn't want to place any bets on you owning a PC much longer. I definitely wouldn't leave the house with this running, and probably would be uneasy about leaving the room for more than a few minutes.

Jul 19, 2022
Thanks for the replies.
Having read your input, do you guys have any recommendations on any affordable, reliable PSUs? I've searched them for a while on the Internet and I cannot seem to make a decision.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for the replies.
Having read your input, do you guys have any recommendations on any affordable, reliable PSUs? I've searched them for a while on the Internet and I cannot seem to make a decision.

The PSU tier list housed here is no longer updated, but it still has the vast majority of legitimate PSUs available internationally.

With modern hardware and an RX 580, I would not go below Tier B.

Now, I know it sucks to be tight on money; I'm sure most of us here have had a time of our lives where cash was short. But the idea here is to maximize your chances of avoiding a problem far more expensive than replacing a PSU!

Jul 19, 2022
The PSU tier list housed here is no longer updated, but it still has the vast majority of legitimate PSUs available internationally.

With modern hardware and an RX 580, I would not go below Tier B.

Now, I know it sucks to be tight on money; I'm sure most of us here have had a time of our lives where cash was short. But the idea here is to maximize your chances of avoiding a problem far more expensive than replacing a PSU!

Hello. Thanks for reply.
I have decided to give up on trying to fix the PSU, as it's too dangerous for me. It sucks since I wanted to buy an AIO for my rig, but I'll have to buy a new PSU to ensure I don't lose any of my components or risk my apartment from burning down.

Will this PSU model suffice? I think it's on the link you've sent me in this thread. It's a Thermaltake Toughpower GF Gold 750W.
This is the link I will try to buy it from
It's a bit excessive for my current system, but I'm looking to upgrade in the future.