Question PSU fans spin 1-2 seconds before turning off

Jan 9, 2023
Hello All,

This is my first time making a post here, but i haven't seen this issue before. A little backstory, i bought a new PSU (Antec HCP 80+ Platinum 1000W) 2 years ago, which i planned to get with a 3080 at the time, as you all know, due to scalpers and low stock, the prices sky rocketed and that did not happen fast forward till now, i've finally got a MSI 3080 GPU. I decided to unwrap and open the PSU i bought 2 years ago as well as this brand new GPU, however after installing all the new components and pressing the power button, the PSU fans spin for 1-2 seconds before turning off. During this time the GPU and CPU fans do not spin, the LED's on the ram do not power on either.

I can clearly see the motherboard is getting power as i can see the LED's on the motherboard light up before i even press the power button, I've re-seated the wiring multiple times in case they were not seated properly, I've brushed the PC for dust, as well as taken out the ram and tried with 1 ram stick. I've done the paperclip test on the PSU and the fans run perfectly fine. I've also tried the new PSU with my old GPU (GTX 1080) and i get the same issue. i put my old PSU (BeQuiet 80+ Gold 1000W) back in and my PC works perfectly fine. I've checked all the wires and tugged on them gently to see if they come out, there was one PCIE wire that was loose and instantly came out, so i put that aside as the PSU provided plenty of PCIE. Unfortunately I am not able to use my old PSU with my new 3080 GPU as there are not enough PCIE wires provided to power it and i was advised not to use PCIE wires from my new PSU with my old PSU as they are a different brand of PSU and may cause irreparable damage.

Setup:
Motherboard: Rog Strix B-550 E Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio 10GB LHR
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 3200Mhz
PSU: Antec HCP 80+ Platinum 1000W

I'm completely out of ideas on what to try, so any help would be much appreciated.

It sure does look like the antec is defective out of the box. Now there are so many models but when I was comparing power supplies the antec platinum models all said they had a 10yr warranty.

Worst case you should be able to purchase cables for the bequiet power supply. Also as long as you would test with a voltage meter to be 100% sure the output is correct you can use cables from other power supplies or build your own.
It is just not one of those recommended things because many people have no clue how to use a multimeter to test stuff like that.

You have an ASUS motherboard. Almost (if not) all ASUS motherboards turn on and back off for a couple of seconds, only to turn back on. That happens every time the motherboard has been without power. Flipping the switch on your PSU is enough to cause the same situation. Flip the PSU back to on, boot your PC, and it'll turn on for about 2 seconds, then turn off again for about 5 seconds. Absolutely normal.

You said that in that time, your CPU and GPU fans don't turn on. Do your case fans turn on still? If your PSU fan doesn't start up, that might very well be normal. My PSU's fan does not turn on until it's at a certain temperature, similar to the zero-fan or zero-rpm modes that GPUs often have. I can't find anything in the Antec manual for your PSU, but I'm sure it'll kick into action as soon as it gets hot enough.

Jan 9, 2023
You have an ASUS motherboard. Almost (if not) all ASUS motherboards turn on and back off for a couple of seconds, only to turn back on. That happens every time the motherboard has been without power. Flipping the switch on your PSU is enough to cause the same situation. Flip the PSU back to on, boot your PC, and it'll turn on for about 2 seconds, then turn off again for about 5 seconds. Absolutely normal.

You said that in that time, your CPU and GPU fans don't turn on. Do your case fans turn on still? If your PSU fan doesn't start up, that might very well be normal. My PSU's fan does not turn on until it's at a certain temperature, similar to the zero-fan or zero-rpm modes that GPUs often have. I can't find anything in the Antec manual for your PSU, but I'm sure it'll kick into action as soon as it gets hot enough.

Case fans do not turn on either, i have waited a good 5 minutes but the PC never turns back on, as stated, PSU fans will spin for 1-2 seconds and then turn off, i will normally wait a minute or two and attempt to press the power button again, but all repeated attempts afterwards cause the power button to do nothing. I have to turn the PSU off and then on and press the power button only to have the PSU fans spin for 1-2 seconds before it turns off again.

Jan 9, 2023
It sure does look like the antec is defective out of the box. Now there are so many models but when I was comparing power supplies the antec platinum models all said they had a 10yr warranty.

Worst case you should be able to purchase cables for the bequiet power supply. Also as long as you would test with a voltage meter to be 100% sure the output is correct you can use cables from other power supplies or build your own.
It is just not one of those recommended things because many people have no clue how to use a multimeter to test stuff like that.

I've tried, but their support site is quite useless, they have no contact number and only have a support submission form, to which it's been almost a week and no reply or even acknowledgement that they have received my support request....