Question PSU gold vs platinum

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Hello everyone.
I've got a question... I'm about to build a new PC, but I can't really predict the system power draw, especially because the CPU and maybe GPU that I'm about to get are Ryzen 3600 and RX 5700... The best thing to do is to wait until 7/7 and see the tests, but there is a nice sale at the store for a particular psu, which is SuperFlower Platinum king 550w, and its really cheap on sale.
Should I get it now, or wait until 7/7 and buy gold psu with more power?

Thanks

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Actually it is rated 80 plus platinum, so its certificate has to mean something, thats why I'm interested in it.
I just want to know if that psu will do fine with these components

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Platinum means it is more efficient than a Gold rated PSU.
That does not mean it is actually better quality just that it will save you a bit more money on your electric bill.
As for whether 550W is enough for a 3600/RX 5700 based PC, until those components are released there is no way to know.
Personally I have a Ryzen 5 2600 and a GTX 1660 Ti which both have fairly low power demands and I bought a 750 W PSU. That way if I decide to upgrade to more demanding components in the future my PSU will still be able to handle them.

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Yes, that seems reasonable. But nowadays the gpus and cpus are less power hungry due to smaller production process, like the 7nm for example. Do you think you would need that much power in the future? Back in the day, 750w would be a good pick with the oc'ed GTX 980ti along with oc'ed i5 4690k, but now you can supply 2 1660ti in sli and Ryzen 2700 with that 750w psu.
But speaking of the SuperFlower platinum king. Do you know it guys? Do you think it is decent psu?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I personally would Not build a PC with anything less than a decent quality Gold or better rated 650W PSU.
From the few articles I found they say the RX5700 will use around 180 to 250 Watts.
But obviously those are just educated guesses and are not confirmed yet.

I suggest you read these review and decide for yourself:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3945/super_flower_golden_king_550w_power_supply_review/index5.html

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Allan, I don't even know how to answer that.
It was a simple question,psu good or not.
And it seems that others agree with you.
Okay then, there is no need for me to waste my time here anymore, gonna do my own research, because it seems that you cant answer my question without stupid accuses

Back in the day, 750w would be a good pick with the oc'ed GTX 980ti along with oc'ed i5 4690k, but now you can supply 2 1660ti in sli and Ryzen 2700 with that 750w psu.
Actually, the 1660 Ti doesn't even support SLI. : P Nvidia has been phasing the feature out for more of their GPUs each generation. For the current cards, it's only available on the RTX 2080 and up. If it were possible to run 1660 Tis in SLI, you likely wouldn't need a 750 watt power supply though, since each card would only draw around 130 watts under load. For a pair of RTX 2080s or 2080 Tis, that capacity could make sense though.

That does not mean it is actually better quality just that it will save you a bit more money on your electric bill.
And by a "bit" we're talking about a mostly unnoticeable amount. 80 Plus Gold PSUs are rated to deliver at least 90% efficiency at 50% load, while 80 Plus Platinum are rated to deliver 92%. So, you would be looking at about a 2% difference in the amount of power that the PC draws from the wall. So, if your PC uses around $10 worth of electricity each month, a platinum rated PSU might use around $0.20 less than a gold one each month, which might total a couple dollars over the course of a year. If there were a $20 price difference between the two, it might take more than 8 years just to break even at that rate.

Yes, that seems reasonable. But nowadays the gpus and cpus are less power hungry due to smaller production process, like the 7nm for example. Do you think you would need that much power in the future? Back in the day, 750w would be a good pick with the oc'ed GTX 980ti along with oc'ed i5 4690k, but now you can supply 2 1660ti in sli and Ryzen 2700 with that 750w psu.
But speaking of the SuperFlower platinum king. Do you know it guys? Do you think it is decent psu?
Power usage went down about 3-4 years ago, and reached a minimum, it's started climbing again with RTX's and i9's. The top end products are pulling just as much power as they always used to, an i9 will probably be close to 200W at full power. So plan on it being stable or slightly increasing that way you'll be safe whatever happens (providing it's not something completely unforseen).

Power calculators are deadly accurate IF... you have the right inputs.
Unfortunately, we do not , and in particular, we know nothing about ryzen 3000.
But, do not worry, you have some idea of what your graphics card will be, and it turns out that the graphics configuration is the prime determinant of the power you will need.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Of , perhaps even more importance is the quality of the PSU.
A cheap unit will not deliver advertised power, and it may not do that in a case where it is hotter.
Look for a tier 1/2 unit from a list such as this:

Silver/gold/platinum is an efficiency rating.
As a practical matter it will make very little difference on your electrical bill.

In your case, 550w should be ok for a card as good as a 2080.
Don't know about a RX5700.
I think you might want to look at a stronger psu up front if you are likely to be using the strongest of graphics cards.
750W perhaps.

Reactions: DMAN999