Question PSU has 6 8 pin slots but 8 pin PCIe cords do not fit

Apr 26, 2020
Hey there, I recently upgraded to a MSI 1080ti with x2 8pin PCIe port (whoohoo!) but am running into what seems to be a very unique problem. My psu has 6 8 pin slots, but none of them appear to have the slot for the bridge that is on the top right two pins of the male connector on the power cables I have purchased.
c%20(5).jpg

The female port of the picture of the cable is what the female port of my psu looks like, no slot for the bridge. I widdled down a cheap 8 pin PCIe to remove the bridge. The cable would go in (not with ease), but when I try to boot my computer it flashes to life for a split second and then will not turn on until I remove the cheap 8 pin.

I am able to plug in a 6 pin (to psu) to 8 pin (to gpu) but then run into a boot error saying "Please power down and connect the PCIe Power cable(s) for this graphics card).

What is going on here? Why does my PSU not have the standard PCIe ports? What are my options since the female PCIe ports are different from the ones on my new GPU?

Specs
PSU: Rosewill 650w 80plus gold Capstone 650-m
GPU: MSI GTX 1080ti x2 8 pin PCIe ports
Power Cords: EVGA 8 pin to 8 pin (6+2) PCI Express

Last strange note when I google my psu it does not seem to exsist. It seems they must have created a new model of my PSU, but the one I have I cant find.

Thanks for any help!

Hey there, I recently upgraded to a MSI 1080ti with x2 8pin PCIe port (whoohoo!) but am running into what seems to be a very unique problem. My psu has 6 8 pin slots, but none of them appear to have the slot for the bridge that is on the top right two pins of the male connector on the power cables I have purchased.
c%20(5).jpg

The female port of the picture of the cable is what the female port of my psu looks like, no slot for the bridge. I widdled down a cheap 8 pin PCIe to remove the bridge. The cable would go in (not with ease), but when I try to boot my computer it flashes to life for a split second and then will not turn on until I remove the cheap 8 pin.

I am able to plug in a 6 pin (to psu) to 8 pin (to gpu) but then run into a boot error saying "Please power down and connect the PCIe Power cable(s) for this graphics card).

What is going on here? Why does my PSU not have the standard PCIe ports? What are my options since the female PCIe ports are different from the ones on my new GPU?

Specs

Last strange note when I google my psu it does not seem to exsist. It seems they must have created a new model of my PSU, but the one I have I cant find.

Thanks for any help!
You can't use power cables from one brand PSU to another brand. You need to get cables from Rosewill.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Why did you purchase power cables? Where are the ones that originally came with the psu, should have been 2x 2(6/8) pcie for the gpu.

Purchased power cables, unless specific to the model almost never work because the pinouts on the psu are proprietary. Those EVGA cables are for an entirely different psu, so will not fit right to the Rosewill.

if theres a 6/8 on the gpu, you have to fully use a 6pin and 6+2pin pcie. It will not work without being fully populated

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pcie cables are Universal. 6pin is 6pin, 6+2pin is 6+2pin. That's PCIE standard. The connectors at the psu are not PCIE, they are simply a connector for that port. They could be 4pin, 6pin, 10pin. Its just a connection. The label PCIE is just general info to tell you which wire should be plugged into it. The wires with PCIE on the gpu end.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can you post a picture of the psu's sticker? And possibly the side with connectors.

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Colif

Win 11 Master
your pictures aren't working still. just show as warning messages.

if you want to share images from Google, you can't use the images box as they aren't jpg, just links.
You need to download them onto PC and then upload them to imgur and show those links here.
I know, its 1 more step but since Google don't link them as jpg, we have no choice.

Last edited:
c%20(5).jpg

Specs

Thanks for any help!

The cables you bought are EXTENSIONS. They're not modular cables.

The Capstone 650M is an off the shelf Andyson product. Maybe knowing that will help you figure out the pinout so you can get the proper cables.

Apr 26, 2020
@Fritz1989 just post a link to the imgur gallery, it might work better
At work I will get on the picture situation when I am home.

After some digging I think I might have figured out something, is there such a thing as 8 pin power chords for mother boards that are different from 8 pin PCI-E? Because if so I think all the power slots on my psu are for mother boards. If that IS the case is there a recommended chord that would be an 8 pin motherboard to 8 pin PCI-E?

At work I will get on the picture situation when I am home.

After some digging I think I might have figured out something, is there such a thing as 8 pin power chords for mother boards that are different from 8 pin PCI-E? Because if so I think all the power slots on my psu are for mother boards. If that IS the case is there a recommended chord that would be an 8 pin motherboard to 8 pin PCI-E?

No. They're not.

The 8-pin ports on your PSU are for either motherboard or PCIe and the connection to the PSU is NEITHER. Understand?

So you have three 8-pin connection types. The one on your PSU. The kind graphics cards take. And the kind that plug into the motherboard.

You need a cable made to plug into a Rosewill Capstone or similar Andyson made unit with a PCIe on the other end.

Apr 26, 2020
I really can't thank you all enough for the help on trying to get this bad boy working, and sticking out through my noobness. It's my first big upgrade on my computer, so all your help is much appreciated. Anyway here are the pics.

o4ff0gX.jpg

BBVT9tW.jpg

aYk5j68.jpg

ta5EKqm.jpg

The last photo is of the pci-e cable I bought. The top two right connectors are the ones with the bridge I was talking about, and my PSU does not have a port to accept that bridge.

Apr 26, 2020
No. They're not.

The 8-pin ports on your PSU are for either motherboard or PCIe and the connection to the PSU is NEITHER. Understand?

So you have three 8-pin connection types. The one on your PSU. The kind graphics cards take. And the kind that plug into the motherboard.

You need a cable made to plug into a Rosewill Capstone or similar Andyson made unit with a PCIe on the other end.
Are there any cables you can recommend because Rosewill does not seem to be selling any that would work with my current situation.

Apr 26, 2020
For that last photo, seems to be the side that goes into the gpu so maybe post a picture of the other side. Did this cable btw come with the psu?
The other side of the cable is a 6+2, and does not fit into my psu. No it did not come with my PSU. The guy that built my computer for me forgot to give me the extra cables, and when I tried to follow up he never got back to me. It can't be impossible to replace cables can it?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
looking at all problems getting cables would i just spend money on getting a new psu.

Since the cable doesn't come with the psu would i not try it since it doesn't even fit well.

And think that they went easy on connectors so wanted 8 pin sockets for all connectors=pcie/sata/molex, so no they aren't all eps connectors.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The other side of the cable is a 6+2, and does not fit into my psu. No it did not come with my PSU. The guy that built my computer for me forgot to give me the extra cables, and when I tried to follow up he never got back to me. It can't be impossible to replace cables can it?

Your best bet is to contact Rosewill and see what they'll charge you for sending them a compatible cable. Then you can weigh if this is worthwhile or not.

With a lot of PSUs, there are custom/aftermarket cables, but those tend to be very specific, high-quality models that enthusiasts are likely to buy. The Rosewills aren't that popular and what complicates the issue is that they've used the Capstone branding for a lot of PSUs, made by multiple manufacturers, and thus unlikely to even be compatible with each other.

The best way to prevent confusion here is to get the terminology down. These are safety parts, so precision is extremely important! You'll never see "6 pin" or "6+2 pin" referring to the side that connects to the PSU, because that side is proprietary and there's no reason to have a universal description. Anytime you see a cable properly described as "6 pin to 6+2 pin" or "6 pin to 6 pin extension," or anything like that, they're only talking about the side that connects to the component, not the PSU.

Now, one thing I would like to see to prevent confusion is for companies that make modular power supplies to key the sides that go into their PSUs more obviously different from the other ends, something like an additional plastic bump on the connector that just fits an additional hole in the PSU. Though there's quite likely a logistics issue that I'm not grasping since I don't have to design these (JG would know for sure).

Apr 26, 2020
Your best bet is to contact Rosewill and see what they'll charge you for sending them a compatible cable. Then you can weigh if this is worthwhile or not.

With a lot of PSUs, there are custom/aftermarket cables, but those tend to be very specific, high-quality models that enthusiasts are likely to buy. The Rosewills aren't that popular and what complicates the issue is that they've used the Capstone branding for a lot of PSUs, made by multiple manufacturers, and thus unlikely to even be compatible with each other.

The best way to prevent confusion here is to get the terminology down. These are safety parts, so precision is extremely important! You'll never see "6 pin" or "6+2 pin" referring to the side that connects to the PSU, because that side is proprietary and there's no reason to have a universal description. Anytime you see a cable properly described as "6 pin to 6+2 pin" or "6 pin to 6 pin extension," or anything like that, they're only talking about the side that connects to the component, not the PSU.

Now, one thing I would like to see to prevent confusion is for companies that make modular power supplies to key the sides that go into their PSUs more obviously different from the other ends, something like an additional plastic bump on the connector that just fits an additional hole in the PSU. Though there's quite likely a logistics issue that I'm not grasping since I don't have to design these (JG would know for sure).
Really good info. Thank you so much, this has been quite the learning process. I am waiting for a response from Rosewill, but at this point might just pop for a new PSU.