[SOLVED] PSU issue, rails good with multimeter but fail paperclip test

mah3r

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As stated in the title, when I try the paper clip test, at best I get a click and a momentary spin of the fan. However, using my multimeter all the rail voltages are as they should be and this is confusing me here. I've tried this psu with a build I was putting together but never got more than a clicking sounding upon hitting the power button as well.

The mobo I was was a MSI Z390-A Pro

Solution
Many PSU’s the fan won’t spin until it reaches x load. The problem with the paper clip test is it does not put any load on the psu so you cannot see if the PSU’s works under operational loads. The paper clip test cannot show a psu works correctly, it can only show a psu is dead.
Many PSU’s the fan won’t spin until it reaches x load. The problem with the paper clip test is it does not put any load on the psu so you cannot see if the PSU’s works under operational loads. The paper clip test cannot show a psu works correctly, it can only show a psu is dead.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

mah3r

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I didn't even consider that perhaps it was my mobo that could've been arrived DOA or maybe was shorted somehow. I'm not sure how to properly test for a dead mobo yet, but perhaps I'll be able to find something on forum for that.