PSU makes high pitched noise

Noah Ford

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
PROLOGUE:
Hey, I have a PSU problem. What I really need is a power supply to crossfire my 6770 and my 5770. To do that I pulled out a old PSU out of my closet, which I plugged in originally, didn't work, gave up and packed it up. Now I call on it again, and I have much more motivation to make it work. It only has one 6pin but it's 650W which seems like enough, I think I can split the one cord into two if I have the right adapter.... But right now I want it to just power my computer at all. Crossfire or no.

Detailed description of problem:
The powersupply was used prior, the seller wanted to give me a refund but I insisted on keeping it. I bought it cheap, and the seller seemed to really need the money. He seemed like an honest man. When I plug in the PSU it immediately emitted a high pitched noise. I haven't even touched the power button at this point. The green light appears steady on the motherboard. Strangest thing, when I hit the power button the high pitched noise stops. But no boot. Just quiet. I did this thing after I got the power supply out the box, I put a metal paper clip in to the green and black wire pins in the 24pin power connector, and plugged it in. The fan spun and seemed to work fine. Which leads me to believe the problem exist in the power port on the supply. It does stick a little when I plug it in. But I used multiple power cords including ones I know for certain work. I've run the PC excluding the PSU... And it worked fine. So the power up issue is with the PSU.

PSU Info:
I don't have much. There is one label left on it; it says "Power Star", and below that says "Switching Power Supply."

Like this;
"Power Star"
SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY
Model: PS-650W
Vac Input ~ | Voltage 115/230V | CURRENT 16/8A | FREQUENCY 60/50Hz
Vdc MAX DC OUTPUT | +3.3V | +12V | +5V | -12V | -5V | +5VSB | BLK |GRN | GRY
| 30A | 30A | 36A | 1.0A | - | 2.0A | COM| P-On | PG

Additional Details:
Other than that there is this symbol in the center of the fan. It's a white fan picture with a red dot in the center. With a red ring around it with 5 stars in the red ring and some taiwanese... Maybe chinese after the stars in the red ring.

I have the HDD connected, Ram in, 4pin, 24 pin. All of that. Please help. I want to fix this PSU.