Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I learned (and am still learning) so much from this thread, had no idea how little I knew about PSUs. Thank you to everyone who posted and especially Darkbreeze for starting it and answering so many questions.

That said, is the Corsair RMX RM850x (80 plus gold) a decent enough PSU? (I know in your first post you said “any of the … RMx … units are good” but does that still hold true? Building my first PC and might return it and grab something else after reading so much here if not.

Thanks again!
They're still good, you can't go wrong with the RM850x

Reactions: postpro

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: postpro and King_V
Aug 18, 2023
Well, there are never any easy answers when it comes to hand holding, so I didn't expect this to be any different. I imagine the answer to that question will work itself out as time goes on. Perhaps I WILL have to use some kind of differentiator as to what a specific unit is good FOR, but I'm not going to worry about that at this early stage. It's a good point though. Thinking on that it occurred to use a "good" vs "better" differentiator or something like that, but then it occurred just as quickly that that would immediately take it right back to a tiered configuration, just, with only two tiers and leaving out all the crap units.

Perhaps I might have to simply use special characters next to the review in place of the list bullet to specify units that are "just good" for average systems and those that are "good for gaming or high demand systems". That might be enough to avoid being a form of tier list while still providing a sense of what is potentially better for a specific type of system. Again, not going to worry about that at this early stage though.

To be honest, I may not even include units that are not capable of at least supporting a GTX 1050 or higher, thus cutting out any chance of somebody trying to use a unit that is only good enough for a system with integrated graphics trying to use one for a higher end system. We don't care if you go overkill nearly as much as we do about somebody trying to use a low end unit with a gaming or high end workstation card system, so I think selection is likely to be the key along with ensuring users have accurate knowledge of the actual capacities they should be looking at based on system demand, de-rating, performance at a given thermal range and concerns with longevity in any given unit, all of which are likely to have already been considered if you see them listed in the OP.

I haven't all the answers, and probably almost definitely never will, but neither does anybody else or if they do I haven't seen it yet, so we'll just see what happens. Even an imperfect apple can still taste good if you avoid the brown spots.
Your approach demonstrates a thoughtful consideration of user needs. Focusing on differentiation without a strict tiered system and providing clear specifications can guide users effectively. Embracing evolution and learning from the process shows adaptability.

Reactions: King_V
Jan 18, 2023
I have my little Corsair SFX 600W Power Supply in old budget case with PSU mount at the top. I have GPU that generates quite some heat but relatively low TDP CPU. During heavy utiliation my GPU stays around 75C and CPU 68-70C in ambient room temperature of 75F (23C). I think dont think thermals are issue but do notice most of hot air comes out of my PSU even though there is 92mm rear fan just below it. Is it good for PSU long term?

Some say its no issue because modern good built PSU are not very heat sensitive, while others would recommend better case. My case is old school gets fresh air from front 120mm fan and side meshed vent 120mm just between GPU and CPU. My case is Fractal Design Core 1100. Fan noise doesn't bother me much since I placed it next to gaming TV and sit at least 15 ft away with loud stereo speakers or gaming headphones.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have my little Corsair SFX 600W Power Supply in old budget case with PSU mount at the top. I have GPU that generates quite some heat but relatively low TDP CPU. During heavy utiliation my GPU stays around 75C and CPU 68-70C in ambient room temperature of 75F (23C). I think dont think thermals are issue but do notice most of hot air comes out of my PSU even though there is 92mm rear fan just below it. Is it good for PSU long term?

Some say its no issue because modern good built PSU are not very heat sensitive, while others would recommend better case. My case is old school gets fresh air from front 120mm fan and side meshed vent 120mm just between GPU and CPU. My case is Fractal Design Core 1100. Fan noise doesn't bother me much since I placed it next to gaming TV and sit at least 15 ft away with loud stereo speakers or gaming headphones.
Not the right topic where to ask about your PC case, but i say that much that your PSU's under load operating temp is from 0C to 50C. Anything else outside of these values will damage the PSU. I guess you can figure the rest out on your own. If you can't, make a separate topic.

Reactions: willis9829
Sep 30, 2023
Hello , i been using Cooler Master MWE 750W MPE-7501-ACABW-BEU 80+Bronze for 11 years but lately it seems to cause gpu to crush so im looking for a new PSU. I have very old ystem but ı'll upgrade my system soon so i want it to be able to supply mid tier pc. (max I'll buy is 300$ gpu likely cheaper , so thats my mid tier definition :whistle:)
Current System:
Cpu:intel i5 3470
Gpu: Msi rx 470 gaming x 4gb
Motherboard: msi ms-7752
Ram: 8gb ddr3 1333mhz ram
SDD: 2x evo 860 500gb

Im looking for price/performance PSU for this system and PSU that can supply mid tier pc , i rather cheaper options i can give up some quality. I have no idea what makes psu good or bad so I'll pretty much buy whatever you guys tell me lol.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hello , i been using Cooler Master MWE 750W MPE-7501-ACABW-BEU 80+Bronze for 11 years but lately it seems to cause gpu to crush so im looking for a new PSU. I have very old ystem but ı'll upgrade my system soon so i want it to be able to supply mid tier pc. (max I'll buy is 300$ gpu likely cheaper , so thats my mid tier definition :whistle:)
Current System:
Cpu:intel i5 3470
Gpu: Msi rx 470 gaming x 4gb
Motherboard: msi ms-7752
Ram: 8gb ddr3 1333mhz ram
SDD: 2x evo 860 500gb

Im looking for price/performance PSU for this system and PSU that can supply mid tier pc , i rather cheaper options i can give up some quality. I have no idea what makes psu good or bad so I'll pretty much buy whatever you guys tell me lol.
Why not make your own topic about it? :unsure:

Also, if you bothered to read the very 1st post in this topic, on page 1, then you'd know which PSUs are good and which aren't. Darkbreeze listed several brands/OEMs and which units from them are good and which aren't. So, i suggest looking page 1 of this topic for your answer.

Sep 30, 2023
11 years? This unit is launched in september 2020!
My bad , looks like mine is this "cooler master gx 750w" i think i just googled it and went to google shopping so i could get the full name and that "MWE 750W" unit came up and i mistaken it.

Anyway i already bought so no need help anymore , thanks regardless.

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
This is a question which I don't believe requires it's own thread - I'm in the midst of replacing an EVGA 750 P2 (failing fan bearings) with an 850 G6 and was wondering if the cables are compatible? I looked on the EVGA FAQ and ... I don't 100% understand what I'm looking at tbh.

"Compatible with 850 watt and under B3/B5/G2/G3/G5/G6/GA/GM/GP//P2/P3/P5/P6/P+/T2 Models:" Does this mean that the cables of these models are all compatible with each other?

So far as I've seen, P series and G series have all had compatible cabling. SO far. But, it never hurts to shoot them an email and verify for sure because, it's not like none of these companies have ever put up BS information on their websites. What the web people do and what the people at the company who actually know what they are doing do, are not always the same.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But, it never hurts to shoot them an email and verify for sure because, it's not like none of these companies have ever put up BS information on their websites. What the web people do and what the people at the company who actually know what they are doing do, are not always the same.
Small trick i use to validate compatibility is by looking CableMod compatibility list,
link: https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

Both the G6 and P2 use the same, E-series cable set from CableMod. So, it is safe to say that pinouts on both PSUs are the same. (Also, far faster than dropping an email and waiting for a reply.)

Reactions: King_V

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
I did shoot EVGA support an email about it, they actually responded within the hour. They said that yes, you can use the 750 P2 cables on an 850 G6 because they use the same 'pinout'.

EDIT: actually wait, the PSU tier list mentions the G6 has "16awg" cables on the 850+ models and "18awg" for the 750 and below. IDK what that means exactly but wouldn't that imply the cables are different?

Last edited:
I would not recommend using your 18awg cables with that G6. It has 16awg cables for a reason. It takes a lot less time to swap the cables out then it does to clean up and replace hardware after letting the magic smoke out or having to replace things.

Reactions: fishyjack

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
I would not recommend using your 18awg cables with that G6. It has 16awg cables for a reason. It takes a lot less time to swap the cables out then it does to clean up and replace hardware after letting the magic smoke out or having to replace things.
Yeah I'm gonna play it safe and use the G6 cables.

I hooked it up to power and did a test power on with the tester it came with. It's making a fairly audible high pitched buzzing/whining. Audible with complete silence in the room and at most a foot and a half away. Becomes somewhat quieter when eco mode is turned off so the fan spins continuously. I'm paranoid about computer sounds but this sound is normal considering it's brand new and powered under zero load, right? I *think* my P2 did something similar but it wasn't as loud.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm paranoid about computer sounds but this sound is normal considering it's brand new and powered under zero load, right? I *think* my P2 did something similar but it wasn't as loud.
PSU coil whine. Can't fix it, unless going with different model of a PSU that isn't prone to coil whine. E.g Seasonic PRIME TX. Have two of these and 0 coil whine with either of the two.

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
Yeahh mine does not like being on idle. Under any sort of load the coil whine vanishes instantly and it's completely silent but on idle it's pretty much yelling incoherently. Looking around other places, it looks like coil whine on idle for the G6 isn't uncommon.

Might try to RMA it. Coil whine on power supplies and graphics cards, when it's at a highly obnoxious level, is generally a warrantable condition if it's a decent company. EVGA is generally VERY good about supporting their products.

They did. You haven't heard about that level of problems in the G7 have you? And the G6's being bought were not manufactured recently. They are stock from before the G7 lineup came out. Technically though, coil whine is endemic to anything with windings, potentially, and there is really no way to completely eliminate any possibility of it or else they'd already have implemented it long ago. Some designs simply tend to be worse than others. Other than being annoying it really isn't a problem, but it IS annoying, but to say "why haven't they fixed it" is admitting we don't really understand what it is.