Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Nice to hear JonnyGuru talk more in-depth about PSUs. :)

To me, one aspect in ATX 3.0 was strange, namely the requirement of PSU being able to sustain double the capacity, what it is rated for. While John did explain it as of where that reasoning came from, this can't be achieved. E.g you can't make 1200W rated PSU, to be able to sustain 2400W. That is, unless you label the PSU to be lower capacity unit.

For example:
PSU is built and rated for 1000W, while it's labeled as 650W unit, thus being able to sustain the 1300W load on it, needed by ATX 3.0.

Bitxan

Reputable
Mar 7, 2019
Hello, even many fellow forum members do not like the manufacturer, recently Thermaltake has released the 1350w Thoughtpower GF3 model for atx 3.0 and pci-e 5 manufactured by the oem High Power and I have only seen a review of etecknics and they say it is excellent, It appears to be similar in construction to the 850w Silverstone Hella which looks very good.
Would this 1350w thermaltake be a recommended purchase?
Thank you.

eTeknics does an "ok" job on their PSU reviews. Not nearly as in depth as Aris would do it, or even as well as Oklahoma Wolf might have back in the day, but still very relevant. Seems solid as the other GF series units and the majority of 1350w models using this platform have all been pretty good but it WOULD be nice to know who the OEM is and they don't mention that in the review. I'm fairly certain it's not the same platform as the 850w Silverstone Hella.

Side by side the layouts have some similarities, so it might be the same OEM, but it's almost certainly not the same platform. Both use Rubycon caps, but they are different models. There are also substantial differences in the layout if you look at the internals side by side.

Reactions: Bitxan

Bitxan

Reputable
Mar 7, 2019
eTeknics does an "ok" job on their PSU reviews. Not nearly as in depth as Aris would do it, or even as well as Oklahoma Wolf might have back in the day, but still very relevant. Seems solid as the other GF series units and the majority of 1350w models using this platform have all been pretty good but it WOULD be nice to know who the OEM is and they don't mention that in the review. I'm fairly certain it's not the same platform as the 850w Silverstone Hella.

Side by side the layouts have some similarities, so it might be the same OEM, but it's almost certainly not the same platform. Both use Rubycon caps, but they are different models. There are also substantial differences in the layout if you look at the internals side by side.

thanks for the clarification, it seems that in the GF3 models the powers of 750-850-1000-1200w the Oem is CWT and in the powers of 1350-1600w they would be HIGH POWER, which at the same time is the Oem of Silverstone Hela of 850w, we will wait for other reviews but at the moment all I am reading about the 1350w model are good opinions, maybe there is something to give it a chance, thanks for the help.
Greetings.

So if there are already "several" reviews about this unit, why did you come here asking about it? This is an informal, internal PSU thread. None, or at least not most, of us, are professional reviewers. What could we possibly have to add to the information you have already garnered from "several reviews"? Seems like wasting our time honestly. I mean, it's fine to ask, I just don't understand why you'd need to if you already had read several reviews. And why did you indicate you had only been able to find a review on eTeknics in your first post if there were several reviews? Seems fishy to me, but maybe there is a good reason for it, IDK.

Bitxan

Reputable
Mar 7, 2019
So if there are already "several" reviews about this unit, why did you come here asking about it? This is an informal, internal PSU thread. None, or at least not most, of us, are professional reviewers. What could we possibly have to add to the information you have already garnered from "several reviews"? Seems like wasting our time honestly. I mean, it's fine to ask, I just don't understand why you'd need to if you already had read several reviews. And why did you indicate you had only been able to find a review on eTeknics in your first post if there were several reviews? Seems fishy to me, but maybe there is a good reason for it, IDK.
I was simply looking for the opinion of people in this forum that seems very reliable to me and I usually read, the others that I have contributed are unknown to me and are not reviews as detailed as those made here in tomshsrdware, don't worry I will continue investigating in another forum where it is not a nuisance when I ask to be cleared of doubts.
A cordial greeting.

Like I said, it's fine that you ask here too, I just wondered if there was a reason why you'd be inclined to take our opinions over that of reviewers who actually do it for a living. That's all. It was not intended to be a "why are you bothering us" kind of thing. It is not a nuisance to ask, just seemed rather unusual and further, seemed kind of "off" that somebody whose had an account here since 2019 would never have posted previously but then suddenly post a question like that with some details that made the question, well, questionable. You have to understand how MANY times we see similar situations that are purely set ups for spam. A cordial reply.

Rinshun

Commendable
Sep 19, 2020
Woud a CM MWE 550W Bronze be good enough for Ryzen 5600 + RX6700XT? I live in Brazil, so I don't have access to many brands/models

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Woud a CM MWE 550W Bronze be good enough for Ryzen 5600 + RX6700XT? I live in Brazil, so I don't have access to many brands/models

This topic isn't the proper place where to ask this. This topic is to discuss different PSUs. You could've been better off making a new topic instead.

But to answer your question: No.
Cooler Master MWE 550 Bronze is low quality unit and too weak for your hardware.
Your GPU is 230W and minimum i'd use, is 750W PSU.

For good/great quality PSU, essentially anything in Tier A would do,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Rinshun

Commendable
Sep 19, 2020
This topic isn't the proper place where to ask this. This topic is to discuss different PSUs. You could've been better off making a new topic instead.

But to answer your question: No.
Cooler Master MWE 550 Bronze is low quality unit and too weak for your hardware.
Your GPU is 230W and minimum i'd use, is 750W PSU.

For good/great quality PSU, essentially anything in Tier A would do,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/
Oh... sorry. Anyways thank you!

Reactions: Aeacus

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pcie pins are rated at 5A per pin, regardless of pin count. That's a physical pin limitation. EPS pins are rated higher, like 10A or 11A per pin.

Pcie 6 pin has 3 grounds, 2 hots, 1 sense, regardless of color. It's often made as a hot because when converted to 8 pin, it becomes a hot. 8pin uses 3 hots, 4 grounds 1 sense.

6pin is rated upto 120w physically, 8pin is 180w physically. Ratings being a soft limit, usually @ 80% of the actual physical hard limit. It's how the 500wTDP radeon r9 295x2 ran on 2x 8pin. Upto 450w on the 8pins and 75w from the slot, if you disregard the 80% derating on the pins.

But that's on the actual pcie connector, not on the modular connector. Modular side is different, the rating total just need to be same or higher than pcie total, actual pin count is moot. The modular side could be 12pin or 4pin, that has no bearing on the pcie pins.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022
Bought my EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Power Supply in the end of 2013 and it is still running perfectly, latest CPU is the i9-7940X since May 2018.

Doing a new build next month, already got a T2 EVGA 1000w, glad it's on your good list!

I agree, those are all great units. I think they came full circle with the FSP build G7 line though because Aris believes with a few minor tweaks that platform will outperform the legendary G2 and the current RMx units. The only thing really holding back the G7 is the fact that they tried to shrink the overall size too much so they crowded the board a little bit and used a smaller fan which makes it slightly noisier during high loads but has no effect under normal loads. The 1000w used strictly Rubycon and Chemi-con caps whereas the 850w unit used a cap that Aris couldn't identify apparently so he knocked it for that but even so it's performance was pretty terrific. I'd buy one if the price was right and I needed one without a second thought.

The problem is, EVGA G7 units are ridiculously priced especially since there are very good units available already in the 100-130 dollar range, sometimes even down in the 80-90 dollar range for the RMx and a few others. But the G7 models are pretty new so I'd expect to see the prices on them go down eventually. Then again, with what's going on currently with EVGA, who knows what the hell they are doing. I think somebody at the company has lost their marbles recently.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I think Corsair's prices are so low because they got the lock with CWT and the RMx etc are such solid sellers. Evga is bouncing around, SuperFlower, Seasonic, and now FSP, so they are stuck for whatever the OEM is saying the prices are and don't get as much a bulk rate that CWT can afford with the Corsair units and manufacturing history. They all know Evga just X'd their nvidia contract, and are on shaky ground atm, and none of them really need Evga's business, so it puts Evga in a really bad spot for contract negotiations and good manufacture prices to bring down retail prices and still turn a profit. Evga Needs to be top of the list, surpassing Corsair units, because anything lesser and they'll be forced to compete with Corsair on an eye-eye basis, and thats a losing proposition.

Last edited:
Actually, I think their problem is that everybody in the industry knows that EVGA had a very successful relationship with Super Flower, putting out some of the best units in the industry, and then kicked them to the curb, and now they've kicked Nvidia to the curb too, so nobody wants to put in the effort, time and expense required to do business with EVGA unless they can be assured of making high dollars on their contract in case it turns out to only be short term. Seems EVGA has been short terming a lot of contacts lately in addition to cancelling some of them. For example, the Seasonic contract to do the G6 units which lasted like a year. OEMs want to do long term business with a company whenever possible because it a lot more profitable than this on this year off next year crap.

That's really just my opinion and I don't know the extent of their specific arrangements, but that damn sure holds true for most industries.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well put. I like Evga, always have, and while I may think dropping nvidia was a ballsy (and probably a good 'pre getting sunk') move as nvidia looks to be aiming to take some funky AIB partner relationship stances, their apparent fishing trips with OEMs isn't doing them any favors and could easily bite them in the ash in the long run.