[SOLVED] PSU selection

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
After several recommendations for an upgrade, which was always a plan, im looking at new power supplies. I have found several choices and i don't really know what i want. I kind of have an idea of what I need but cant decide. I have also checked 3 power supply calculator websites and all said at least 400w would be fine but i don't think that's right.

Options ive found, if anyone has any other recommendation please let me know.
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superno...53NWQ&qid=1626362862&s=warehouse-deals&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM65...ywords=Corsair+RMx+650w&qid=1626365037&sr=8-3

Needs-
80+ Gold 650w or greater.
8 pin CPU connector and the extra 4 pin for overclocking.
8 pin PCIe connector for the GPU.
At least 4 SATA power connectors (can be on more then one cable).
A way to plug a case fan into the PSU (all motherboard ports are taken currently).

System specs:

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming (Wifi)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Cooler Masters Hyper 212 Black edition
G.Skill TridentZ RB Series 16GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC, Overclocked to 2.1 GHz.
Corsair CX 500w 80+ Bronze PSU.
WD Blue 250gb SSD
Seagate 1tb 7.2k HDD (x2)
(Plans for a future 980 PRO M.2 Gen 4)

CPU is allowed to boost to the 4.4 GHz when ever, id like to overclock it a little at some point in the future.
GPU currently has an overclock of +160 on the core and +700 on the memory. Max stable that I've found was +190 core and +1000 memory, might be able to push the memory more.

Solution
Any PSU in the list would be sufficient for your system and a worthy upgrade, however I would not chose any of them.

I have heard the EVGA GA series is not amazing, just okay. Better units can be had for less.
The Corsair RM650X is a great unit, but that price is simply WAY too high for a refurbished unit.

If you want a unit that will give excess wattage and great quality I would buy this:
Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (SF-650F14HG) - PCPartPicker
A cheaper PSU would definately work, but if cost is not an issue that is a great unit.

Just a note, an extra 4 pin for overclocking is not going to be needed. Even if you put in a 5950x and tried to overclock it on air or liquid...
The Corsair, at least you know the OEM is consistent to the model. EVGA use too many OEMS for the same or very similar models and even though those two units you mentioned are looked upon to be good, I just don't like EVGA for power supplies for this reason.

The Corsair is a great piece of hardware, buy that.

Any PSU in the list would be sufficient for your system and a worthy upgrade, however I would not chose any of them.

I have heard the EVGA GA series is not amazing, just okay. Better units can be had for less.
The Corsair RM650X is a great unit, but that price is simply WAY too high for a refurbished unit.

If you want a unit that will give excess wattage and great quality I would buy this:
Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (SF-650F14HG) - PCPartPicker
A cheaper PSU would definately work, but if cost is not an issue that is a great unit.

Just a note, an extra 4 pin for overclocking is not going to be needed. Even if you put in a 5950x and tried to overclock it on air or liquid cooling, you would still not need more than single 8 pin. Although, if you still want that, the Super Flower above does have support for 2 8 pin CPU power connectors.

A 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan adapter can be used to plug fans into a PSU.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-gtx-1660-super-sc-ultra/33.html 134 W
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3700x_review,8.html 169 W
Roughly 300 W and with your storage, around 330 W. Peak.
Now, you are never going to see CPU at 100% and GPU at 100%, not when gaming. CPU will be 20-50% utilized, generally. So I would assume around 250 W draw when gaming, for the whole system.
But that is for now. The GPU is a capable one for 1080p but forget it for 1440p. If you want a 1440p GPU, it's going to draw more power. 200-300 W for the GPU alone is quite normal.

Overclocking is not power-efficient. The curve looks pretty much like an elongated "J". For example, I have a Vega 56, around 225 W stock powerdraw. If I undervolt it and overclock it, it draws 300+ W and gives me maybe 5-10% more FPS. Almost 50% more power draw for 5%-10% perf, not efficient. Pretty much the same is true for CPUs. Add a lot of power, don't get a lot of perf back.
That's not to say I don't do it, I've been OCing since 2000. I OC til I hit the heatwall or the voltagewall. And I have a decently powerful PSU to match. Around 750-850 W as far back as I can remember. For the past 10 years, I've reached 500-600 W when gaming, easily. Currently with a 1440p monitor. So PSU wattage depends on your parts, now and in the future. I use the same PSU for 10-15 years. Same case, same HDDs. If it works, why replace it?

Last edited:

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-gtx-1660-super-sc-ultra/33.html 134 W
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3700x_review,8.html 169 W
Roughly 300 W and with your storage, around 330 W. Peak.
Now, you are never going to see CPU at 100% and GPU at 100%, not when gaming. CPU will be 20-50% utilized, generally. So I would assume around 250 W draw when gaming, for the whole system.
But that is for now. The GPU is a capable one for 1080p but forget it for 1440p. If you want a 1440p GPU, it's going to draw more power. 200-300 W for the GPU alone is quite normal.

Overclocking is not power-efficient. The curve looks pretty much like an elongated "J". For example, I have a Vega 56, around 225 W stock powerdraw. If I undervolt it and overclock it, it draws 300+ W and gives me maybe 5-10% more FPS. Almost 50% more power draw for 5%-10% perf, not efficient. Pretty much the same is true for CPUs. Add a lot of power, don't get a lot of perf back.
That's not to say I don't do it, I've been OCing since 2000. I OC til I hit the heatwall or the voltagewall. And I have a decently powerful PSU to match. Around 750-850 W as far back as I can remember. For the past 10 years, I've reached 500-600 W when gaming, easily. Currently with a 1440p monitor. So PSU wattage depends on your parts, now and in the future. I use the same PSU for 10-15 years. Same case, same HDDs. If it works, why replace it?

Some of my gaming friends and other people that have commented on my posts here say that i need a stronger PSU that mine is too weak. That's where im kinda confused, the PSU calculators say that the current 500w is enough but then people say its maxing out while playing. I know gold is better then bronze efficiency-wise.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I find the questionnable PSUs are 500-600 watts or less. I can't remember modelnames etc so I just completely avoid that segment.
Recently I saw a video of a 500 watt PSU. It struggled supplying 200 watts. At around 250 watts, it blew up. It was some noname IIRC but still, who expects that? At half the rated output?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I find the questionnable PSUs are 500-600 watts or less. I can't remember modelnames etc so I just completely avoid that segment.
Recently I saw a video of a 500 watt PSU. It struggled supplying 200 watts. At around 250 watts, it blew up. It was some noname IIRC but still, who expects that? At half the rated output?

Honestly, with the quality of these PSUs, everyone should expect that at this point! Not too long ago, someone posted their "750W" PSU that had 144W of +12V power.