Question PSU suggestions ?

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi
i want to buy a PSU , and my system require less than 450W.... but i decided to buy a +600 for future or at least less noise...
is that a good idea?

later i checked around and saw 750W have only less than 5% higher price compare to 600... so i decided to go for that one for same reason i mentioned before😅

here is what i found:
cooler master
MWE 650 white (price 2150)
MWE bronze 600 v2 (price 2250)
mwe 750 white (2347)
mwe 700 bronze V2 (2380)
Corsair CX550M (2490)

of course my currency is not $ , but its a number and easy to compare...
feel free to suggest any other brand, and i check the price.

other thing is I don't know what should i care about when i buy a PSU, but my PSU is 15 years old With a strange noise, and just 230W, for that i cant use any VGA ....
(my other components are not that old, just my PSU and Case itself)
also, does PSU use same standard as before? can i install it in such old case? right now my motherboard is Full ATX. its not a small one, my psu is on TOP but i saw now a day psu on bottom.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
none of those are very good really. you'd be better off getting less wattage with a better unit than buying a junk unit just because it has a large number on it.

where are you shopping? we can skim the listings and offer some options based on what's available to you. if its not in english, just get to the start of the psu listings and can handle it from there. specs are a universal language :)

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
none of those are very good really. you'd be better off getting less wattage with a better unit than buying a junk unit just because it has a large number on it.

where are you shopping? we can skim the listings and offer some options based on what's available to you. if its not in english, just get to the start of the psu listings and can handle it from there. specs are a universal language :)
really? i thought cool master and Corsair are one of the best ....

ok i have access to almost all brand. also , i am open to suggestions, just give me Model and i come back to you with the price...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
These are all entry level PSUs. I would not put them in a long duration gaming rig. But if we are talking like 65W CPU and sub 100W GPU then the CX550m is a decent choice. (Reflected in the price as you can see)

If you plan for future upgrades, then something like a RM650 from Corsair would make more sense. RM650x if you want even higher quality.

Going up to gold rating also increase the efficiency, which lowers the temperatures and should be quieter if that is a primary goal.

Other models to look at would be the EVGA G2, G6 series. Superflower Leadex, Seasonic, ASUS ROG Strix (Also Seasonic). Thermaltake Toughpower is hit or miss, but some of the higher end ones use the same supplier as Corsair. (CWT)

Cooler Master does make some good models, but they usually aren't that price competitive, but it really depends on the region. White and Bronze model's from them aren't amazing.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
These are all entry level PSUs. I would not put them in a long duration gaming rig. But if we are talking like 65W CPU and sub 100W GPU then the CX550m is a decent choice. (Reflected in the price as you can see)

If you plan for future upgrades, then something like a RM650 from Corsair would make more sense. RM650x if you want even higher quality.

Going up to gold rating also increase the efficiency, which lowers the temperatures and should be quieter if that is a primary goal.

Other models to look at would be the EVGA G2, G6 series. Superflower Leadex, Seasonic, ASUS ROG Strix (Also Seasonic). Thermaltake Toughpower is hit or miss, but some of the higher end ones use the same supplier as Corsair. (CWT)

Cooler Master does make some good models, but they usually aren't that price competitive, but it really depends on the region. White and Bronze model's from them aren't amazing.
so the fact that i can get 600 bronze for 15% less price compare to Corsair one i mentioned, isnt a good deal?

to be fair i didn't understand the first line you start with, could you explain it?

right now my cpu is 90W + i was thinking about getting a Rx6600... or i may use my old rz580....

but i have 2 HDD and 2 optical drive as well

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RX 580 should be around 185W, RX 6600 comes in at 132W. With a 90W CPU you are looking at 300W 12V or so. Hard drives don't use all that much, and optical drives maybe use around 15W when in operation. So call it 400W with all the fans and other stuff and anything you might plug in via USB. So your 450W estimate wasn't bad. a good 550W is plenty. But if you want longevity, silence, and upgrade options in the future, 650W is a good choice.

Wattage is only part of what makes a power supply acceptable. Each internal component has a temperature and expected life span under normal operating conditions. There are also different topologies. Older designs had huge emphasis on 5V and 3.3 volt because they were the dominant voltages in older ATX systems. Contemporary computers almost exclusively use 12V with only a little 5V and 3.3 volt power needed. I don't think any of your choices there fall into the old group regulated or outdated designs, but they just aren't built to high standards. Anything sub 5 year warranty is pretty iffy. Computers should last at least 5 years when not abused. Higher end power supplies have 7, 8 and 10 year warranties. (Seasonic even still sells a group regulated unit, the S12 and pretty much every company has lower end units)

A "low quality" unit will have cheaper components. Fans and heatsinks will be as cheap as possible, shortcuts will be made. The 80 plus system isn't great, but it does mean that to meet these requirements there must be some move towards quality (or they lie, as is often the case on really cheap PSUs) There is also a fake 85 and 90 Plus out there.

Another way to look at 80 plus.
White is 80%
Bronze is 85%
Silver is 88%
Gold 90%
Platinum 92%
Titanium 94%

Gold is basically half the power loss of White. To do that, they have to use better parts. You can also have poor gold rated units. They can pass the efficiency tests, but may have poor ripple, transient response times, bad hold up times, bad protections (over voltage/over current). Fan can still be poor, cabling could still be bad, all kinds of things.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The 80 plus system isn't great, but it does mean that to meet these requirements there must be some move towards quality (or they lie, as is often the case on really cheap PSUs)

80+ doesn't actually tell how good of a PSU you got. There are actually some 80+ Titanium efficiency PSUs as well, which are complete junk. And those doesn't cost peanuts either, more like $400+ USD. Two such 80+ Titanium overpriced junk units are: Silverstone Strider Titanium 1100W and up, and Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium 1500W.

So, to know if PSU is good or not, a reputable review will tell that.

really? i thought cool master and Corsair are one of the best ....

They may be most well known, but they are far from the best. The top 3 (in no particular order) are: Seasonic, Super Flower and Flextronics.

All 3 are PSU OEMs and two of them sell PSUs under their own name: Seasonic and Super Flower. E.g Seasonic Focus or PRIME series. Or Super Flower Leadex III series. Flextronics doesn't sell PSUs under their own name, instead they produce PSUs for Corsair AXi lineup. Flextronics mainly makes server PSUs and Corsair AXi is the only consumer PSU you can get from them.

So, if you want good PSU, look towards these:
Seasonic Focus GX (aka Focus+ Gold)
Seasonic Focus PX (aka Focus+ Platinum)
Seasonic PRIME GX (aka PRIME Ultra Gold or PRIME Gold)
Seasonic PRIME PX (aka PRIME Ultra Platinum or PRIME Platinum)
Seasonic PRIME TX (aka PRIME Ultra Titanium or PRIME Titanium)
Super Flower Leadex III

Doesn't matter much which of the 6 you'll pick, they all are very good PSUs.
(Btw, all 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, while i have one Focus PX and two PRIME TX PSUs. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
RX 580 should be around 185W, RX 6600 comes in at 132W. With a 90W CPU you are looking at 300W 12V or so. Hard drives don't use all that much, and optical drives maybe use around 15W when in operation. So call it 400W with all the fans and other stuff and anything you might plug in via USB. So your 450W estimate wasn't bad. a good 550W is plenty. But if you want longevity, silence, and upgrade options in the future, 650W is a good choice.

Wattage is only part of what makes a power supply acceptable. Each internal component has a temperature and expected life span under normal operating conditions. There are also different topologies. Older designs had huge emphasis on 5V and 3.3 volt because they were the dominant voltages in older ATX systems. Contemporary computers almost exclusively use 12V with only a little 5V and 3.3 volt power needed. I don't think any of your choices there fall into the old group regulated or outdated designs, but they just aren't built to high standards. Anything sub 5 year warranty is pretty iffy. Computers should last at least 5 years when not abused. Higher end power supplies have 7, 8 and 10 year warranties. (Seasonic even still sells a group regulated unit, the S12 and pretty much every company has lower end units)

A "low quality" unit will have cheaper components. Fans and heatsinks will be as cheap as possible, shortcuts will be made. The 80 plus system isn't great, but it does mean that to meet these requirements there must be some move towards quality (or they lie, as is often the case on really cheap PSUs) There is also a fake 85 and 90 Plus out there.

Another way to look at 80 plus.
White is 80%
Bronze is 85%
Silver is 88%
Gold 90%
Platinum 92%
Titanium 94%

Gold is basically half the power loss of White. To do that, they have to use better parts. You can also have poor gold rated units. They can pass the efficiency tests, but may have poor ripple, transient response times, bad hold up times, bad protections (over voltage/over current). Fan can still be poor, cabling could still be bad, all kinds of things.
great information. thanks.
i use ky PC , 2-8 hour a week... so what exact model do you suggest? if i want to chose between those model i mentioned, i should pick bronz 600. right? but with 2-8 hour? i will google exact meaning of these colors...
i appreciate if you send me some models

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
80+ doesn't actually tell how good of a PSU you got. There are actually some 80+ Titanium efficiency PSUs as well, which are complete junk. And those doesn't cost peanuts either, more like $400+ USD. Two such 80+ Titanium overpriced junk units are: Silverstone Strider Titanium 1100W and up, and Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium 1500W.

So, to know if PSU is good or not, a reputable review will tell that.

They may be most well known, but they are far from the best. The top 3 (in no particular order) are: Seasonic, Super Flower and Flextronics.

All 3 are PSU OEMs and two of them sell PSUs under their own name: Seasonic and Super Flower. E.g Seasonic Focus or PRIME series. Or Super Flower Leadex III series. Flextronics doesn't sell PSUs under their own name, instead they produce PSUs for Corsair AXi lineup. Flextronics mainly makes server PSUs and Corsair AXi is the only consumer PSU you can get from them.

So, if you want good PSU, look towards these:
Seasonic Focus GX (aka Focus+ Gold)
Seasonic Focus PX (aka Focus+ Platinum)
Seasonic PRIME GX (aka PRIME Ultra Gold or PRIME Gold)
Seasonic PRIME PX (aka PRIME Ultra Platinum or PRIME Platinum)
Seasonic PRIME TX (aka PRIME Ultra Titanium or PRIME Titanium)
Super Flower Leadex III

Doesn't matter much which of the 6 you'll pick, they all are very good PSUs.
(Btw, all 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, while i have one Focus PX and two PRIME TX PSUs. Full specs with pics in my sig.)
unfortunately, those model are not available in here

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Again; are the MWE White and Bronze 230v or full range (100-240v) models?
i answerd above.... 230V.... also i found these models

thermaltake litepower 550w (1900)
MSi mag a650bn (1975)
evesky 600w-adc (1990)
awest gt-av650-pb (2120)
deepcool dn650 (2240)

Be quiet system power 9 (2400) but only 30 day warranty

cooler master g600 (2600)

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
so here are some extra model+ those i mentioned above

Many of these are brutally poor quality.

I don't think I understand your goals here. You talk about spending a little extra and future-proofing, but then you list really junky power supplies that are the opposite of that goal.

Let's flip this around. Provide some links to stores you may buy a PSU from and your actual budget in your currency. You just pasting lists of terrible PSUs isn't really going to get us anywhere.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Many of these are brutally poor quality.

I don't think I understand your goals here. You talk about spending a little extra and future-proofing, but then you list really junky power supplies that are the opposite of that goal.

Let's flip this around. Provide some links to stores you may buy a PSU from and your actual budget in your currency. You just pasting lists of terrible PSUs isn't really going to get us anywhere.
i honestly dont know anything about PSU... i am just sending model i find out on online market with bronze or higher tag... and of course in the price range i am going to buy... unfortunately its not in English, thats why i asked to send me some good brands. by the way , i could find seasonic or super flower anywhere.
and some of those model i send here was from googling (best budget psu) , but i found out here that Corsair and Cooler master or even deep cool, are not good

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Seasonic SS-750HT 750W ATX12V v2.31,EPS12V v2.92 80Plus

i could find this , with/without warranty, i am not sure... for (2600)
so, what do you suggest? i guess its better to send me from Corsair brand as it seems its one of semi-popular brand around here

also asus, deepcool , MSI, cooler master are easy to find
There are a lot of good Corsair PSUs, but you just linked the budget or entry-level ones. Cooler Master has fewer quality PSUs.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
That's positively ancient, like a decade old.

Again, the link to where you're buying from, regardless of language, and what your budget is are absolutely necessary.

I'll check back in on this thread if the information is given.
ok let me find one of those websites with most brand available...

silverstone Essential SST-ET650-G (2700)

CORSAIR CX Series CX650M 80 PLUS Bronze 650W Semi Modular Computer Power Supply (2000)

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
i am just sending model i find out on online market with bronze or higher tag... and of course in the price range i am going to buy... unfortunately its not in English

We have ways to translate any other language store/market into English. So, the language isn't a barrier for us.

I'm getting a feeling that you linking your local store might reveal in which country you live, and since you're embarrassed where you live, you are very reluctant in doing this. :unsure:
We get people from all over the world, from Andorra to Zimbabwe and to us, it doesn't matter where you live. What matters, is that you get good quality hardware that will last you for years, without causing issues.