Question Psu test pg failed

Shamanji

Reputable
Jun 9, 2020
Så I bought a thermaltake dr power 3 and testet my psu super flower leadex 2000 w and got a failed on the pg.

My question is can a failing psu with PG failure what ever that do meen result in a pc rebooting randomly like when ever it wants to?

I all started with me purchasing a Sapphire nitro vapor x 7900xtx 24gb and it gave me 4 bsods wich was amd graphic driver fault CPUMetricsServer.exe was the guilty driver, then all went good because i uninstalled 24.5.1 and installed the minimum and it ran fine for a week then came 24.6.1and everything was good for a week the i started having random reboots periodically reboots.

i then rma'ed the Sapphire nitro vapor x 7900xtx 24gb and now i dont think that is the cause since i then today tested my psu and it failed in the PG is that the 24 pin? they other like Molex / sata / pci-e / cpu 2x 8 pin well they seemed ok.

but can a psu that has the PG failing cause random reboots and can it dmg the system?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Så I bought a thermaltake dr power 3 and testet my psu super flower leadex 2000 w and got a failed on the pg.

My question is can a failing psu with PG failure what ever that do meen result in a pc rebooting randomly like when ever it wants to?

I all started with me purchasing a Sapphire nitro vapor x 7900xtx 24gb and it gave me 4 bsods wich was amd graphic driver fault CPUMetricsServer.exe was the guilty driver, then all went good because i uninstalled 24.5.1 and installed the minimum and it ran fine for a week then came 24.6.1and everything was good for a week the i started having random reboots periodically reboots.

i then rma'ed the Sapphire nitro vapor x 7900xtx 24gb and now i dont think that is the cause since i then today tested my psu and it failed in the PG is that the 24 pin? they other like Molex / sata / pci-e / cpu 2x 8 pin well they seemed ok.

but can a psu that has the PG failing cause random reboots and can it dmg the system?
Thats the power good and I'm not sure I would trust a cheap PSU tester to read that since it's measured in ms.
Edit it should of had some number followed by ms.

Shamanji

Reputable
Jun 9, 2020
It was 0 most of the time and maybe 2 times out of the 10 test i got areadi g saying 400 to 449.

Is the thermaltake dr. power iii a cheap tester? I seen YouTube videos giving it good reviews.

But since I got the random reboot problem is that not a indication of a power delivery problem?

The reboot can even happen when it started posting and not loading windows yet, when it dos get into windows and it reboots event log says event log event id 41 bugcheckcode is 0 category 63.

So you dont think its the psu?

Last edited:

Shamanji

Reputable
Jun 9, 2020
Well I can benchmark with all kinds of bechmark programs and it might finish it or reboot.

Tried cinebench 24 and furmark 2 at the same time and it finished both the when it idled again it rebooted.

But when It can reboot even before i starts to load windows then clearly its a power issue?

Also if the tester fails the psu at pg something must be wrong?

Mar 10, 2020
Check the PCIe connectors to your graphics card are solid.

Switch the PC off for 30 minutes or so then unplug the 24 way connector, PCIe connectors and CPU connectors. Look for pins that are loose in their housing. If there is a loose pin it can sometimes be made secure by gently bending the clip that holds it in place GENTLY is the important word.

Have you got a PSU you can substitute in? If so try using that and it’s cable set, see if the problems remain. If they do, it’s the motherboard or a component plugged into the motherboard. If they disappear then the PSU or PSU connections is/are bad.

Shamanji

Reputable
Jun 9, 2020
None of the cables are looking loose or bad.

I dont have a extra psu at my disposal but i have one comming next week monday to be exact.

Be quiet dark power 1600 w.

My current psu super flower leadex 2000 w is nearly 10 years old so im hoping the new one fixes my issue