PSU tier list 2.0

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the future when I buy a PSU, I am going to pay more attention to the space between the connectors on the cables. On my 850 G2 I really wish they made more than 100mm between the SATA connectors. They are stretched out to the max and some ample space would have been a nice treat. Some things people just don't think about too much when buying PSUs - how good the cable lengths are. Something that is often overlooked, a mistake I won't make in the future (well to be fair when I bought my 850 G2 that was like a year and a half ago anyway before I considered a lot of things).

I think the RMx is the best value for the money. The G Series is overpriced, that can be rules out. The RMI, you don't need fancy software, that can be rules out. The XFX XTR is a loud PSU as shown by Techpowerup's testing https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/XTR650/6.html

The 650 GQ has only been tested by Jonnyguru which leaves out a lot of things we don't know about it - how loud it is, transient response performance, etc. On the other hand, the RM650x we know is a very quiet PSU and great quality. My vote is the RMx.

Also, the GQ only has 100mm between connectors on the same cable. Not ideal. And with its unfortunately smaller fan it'll have to spin faster to keep the unit cooler, so I'm guessing it is rather loud, too.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Well spotted Mr CTurbo! I had no idea I could get a G2 for that cheap. For some reason all the shops with the best prices are out of stock :(

Don't get mad at me but those are likely the G2s with the holdup time issues :lol: in which they drop the PWR_OK signal at an out of spec voltage.

I'd say over the GQ the RMx is worth the extra money. Though over the G2 it might not be, depends on your personal preferences when it comes to cables I suppose.

In the Toms Best PSUs article the RMx are always on there.

I would trust both in the long run. But I don't see any evidence that would indicate the G2 should last longer than the RMx in the long run. By time those units die that whole computer will probably have been replaced multiple times.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I would trust both in the long run. But I don't see any evidence that would indicate the G2 should last longer than the RMx in the long run. By time those units die that whole computer will probably have been replaced multiple times.

I haven't seen any evidence that would indicate the RMx would last AS LONG as the G2 in the long run.

Where are you going with this? I haven't seen any evidence that the G2 would last AS LONG as the RMx in the long run. Where is your evidence the G2 will last super long?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
The RMx is the newbie here. The G2 series has been out for a while now... about 2 years I believe. We KNOW they are reliable and hold up extremely well over time. Super Flower has a reputation for reliability and longevity for a reason.

The RMx SEEM great, but what do we REALLY know about their longevity? What we DO know about them is that they are made by a company that USUALLY pumps out mediocrity. That doesn't mean they can't be great, and I'm not saying they're aren't great. They certainly SEEM great. I just prefer to, when possible, stick with what I KNOW over what I can assume.

In this specific situation, I see no reason to choose the RMx over the G2. Why would I pay more for something that MAY end up being awesome when I can pay less for something that I know is awesome?

PSU reviewers have torn them down and they have all gotten a major thumbs up. I never said one would last longer than the other, though. I don't make assumptions like that. Can you think of any PSU in particular that was extremely highly praised by reviewers then just happened to end up being a big dud for a bunch of people after 3 or so years? If so I'd like to hear about that PSU.

And I never said the RMx was the better option than the G2. Strictly speaking, the RMx is a better PSU as tested in reviews which is why it usually costs a bit more. Albeit better by a small margin. So yeah the G2 could be the better option indeed and in this case would be, but it frustrates me when people think the RMx is going to be unreliable or something.

I'm with CT on this one. This is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" times. For example, I know TUMS works. Could it be better? I've tried a few other things when TUMS wasn't available, and they seemed indeed just as effective at relieving whatever discomfort I had; then a few hours later I might end up with the Aztec Two-step. So, I stick with TUMS.

Well the G2s have been out since... 2014 I think. About Spring. They have been out a bit over two full years. I wouldn't think that's even long enough to see how long those are going to last. 2-3 years is how long a budget power supply should last to be honest.

Looking more closely at the RM650x vs 650 G2 anyway, here are the pros of the G2:

1) Cheaper
2) double ball bearing fan (vs rifle on the RMx)

Here are the pros of the RM650x:

1) Quieter
2) Fan kicks in at 325W vs 260W on the G2
3) 120mm between SATA headers vs 100mm (well, I assume it is 120mm on the RM650x. The RM1000x review on Jonny has 120mm so it's most likely consistent.
4) Safe PWR_OK signal and extra long holdup time

For 10 euros cheaper the G2 is probably the better choice indeed. It's different than the US, in the US recently the RMx has been quite cheap with rebates and stuff while the G2 would sit at $100. The RM650x was down to $70 I recall, can't beat that!

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
PSU reviewers have torn them down and they have all gotten a major thumbs up. I never said one would last longer than the other, though. I don't make assumptions like that. Can you think of any PSU in particular that was extremely highly praised by reviewers then just happened to end up being a big dud for a bunch of people after 3 or so years? If so I'd like to hear about that PSU.

And I never said the RMx was the better option than the G2. Strictly speaking, the RMx is a better PSU as tested in reviews which is why it usually costs a bit more. Albeit better by a small margin. So yeah the G2 could be the better option indeed and in this case would be, but it frustrates me when people think the RMx is going to be unreliable or something.

I never said you said anything. You asked me why I felt the way I felt and I told you.

The Corsair CX and CS series as well as the EVGA 500b, 600b, and NEX units are perfect examples of units that test well and general received good reviews, but end up being absolutely unreliable in the long(or short lol) run.

I'm sorry but I am a pessimist at heart and will not be quick to hold a CWT unit at such a high regard until I get some . I know CWT is capable of making some good units but they're usually either wear an Antec label or are overpriced.

And yes, I would trust an Antec CWT model more than a Corsair CWT model.

I have an opened mind though. The RMx seem like very solid units. I will be keeping my eye on them. The new CX models too.

Most of Corsairs higher end PSUs are good PSUs. Their AXi series is still a force to be reckoned with performance wise and the value is better.

One thing I can't seem to find is any information on the warranty for the SuperFlower PSUs. If the information I can find is correct then it only has a 5 year warranty vs the 10 year for the Corsair RMx. If that is true than that alone is a very big advantage for just 10 euros more.

If you can find anything else to prove me wrong find it but their website is not informative at all nor can I find anything stating a specific warranty period on their boxes. This is the best I could find:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/super-flower-leadex-gold-550w-power-supply,4416.html

From Toms showing a 5 year warranty for the 550W Leadex Gold rated PSU. I would assume that would apply to even their 650W as normally a line shares the same warranty.

One problem I see is that SuperFlower is getting that same Seasonic and early Corsair reputation. When Corsair first came out almost all their PSUs, even the first line of CX, were Seasonic made. They had great PSUs. Then they got crappy then they got better, all except their high end of course. Seasonic makes mostly great PSUs but they have had their OK ones now and then.

The original CX series was a good line. The later versions got worse and the new versions seem to be decent.

I personally don't trust much from Antec anymore. Their cases were way over hyped and it took them forever to update them. I still remember people buying Antec 900s when the Corsair 500R or any number of other cases from companies like Fractal, Phanteks etc were out and were superior.

The G2 and RMx are both 10 years. Leadex Gold might be 5 actually.

The CX units electrical performance was pretty decent, but no reviewers ever really praised them for reliability. When you buy a cheap PSU, less reliability is the drawback you get. Anybody can know that something cheaper is usually less reliable. For the most part, I don't care too much who the OEM is of my PSU. Really, they do what is told of them, and I have confidence that almost all of them are capable of creating great, reliable units. If that is what they are told.

From what I hear about Superflower is they don't have the resources of the other manufacturers (factories) and they can't produce as many units, which is why they are pretty much only tied to EVGA these days and not anybody else. I don't think they have the resources to really spread out their manufacturing to even more and more units like the other OEMs do.

Now, if you want to talk about bad high end PSUs, the Cooler Master Masterwatt Maker 1200W is such a joke for the price. Now I'm not picky about capacitors anymore really - I have such a more open mind to other things that capacitors are not really my priority anymore when I look at a PSU. But for a $450 PSU I'd still expect all Japanese caps. And not the poor performance that we see with the voltage regulation, and still poor holdup time.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
One problem I see is that SuperFlower is getting that same Seasonic and early Corsair reputation. When Corsair first came out almost all their PSUs, even the first line of CX, were Seasonic made. They had great PSUs. Then they got crappy then they got better, all except their high end of course. Seasonic makes mostly great PSUs but they have had their OK ones now and then.

I agree, but the main difference here is that Corsair does not make psus while Seasonic and Super Flower do.

Corsair and EVGA's lineup are vastly varying in quality.

Corsair (and EVGA for that matter) still have engineers working with the OEMs on what they want the outcome to be in the end. Obviously Corsair works with CWT closely to produce units that will be most ideal. I'm curious how closely they work with them. There are those companies that just grab a unit off the OEM"s shelf and slap their label on it and change a thing or two. But I know some units are heavily worked on between both the OEM and the selling company. Jonnyguru has talked about the process some.

It's like if Logisys got Seasonic to make something. I'm sure it'd come out as a turd. It could be a better turd than if they got HEC to make it, but nonetheless it has the Logisys influence. Actually I'd have confidence in HEC making just as good of a budget PSU as Seasonic. Which they do, actually, in the low-end EVGA units. Unfortunately the only budget Seasonic units we have are meant for OEMs and sold in bulk.

Ahhh I forgot it was the G2 which is the same as the Leadex but EVGA throws a longer warranty on it.

In that same vein then Corsair designs their PSUs and has OEMs build them, EVGA just relabels them. And I don't blame Corsair. The costs of opening up a factory to build PSUs would be way too much compared to having a good OEM build them for them. They may in the future but I doubt it. Nor do I blame EVGA. They are getting in on a market, a flooded market, the cheapest way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.