Discussion PSU tier list discussion thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
don't want to refresh my memory regarding that thread as i've tried to make a genuine discussion about it
Then if you don't remember that thread correctly and don't want to bother checking, you shouldn't be making such FALSE accusations about the author of that thread nor the thread itself. Period.

If you didn't want discussion about that thread here you should not have made such accusations regarding that thread here either.

Its really simple actually.

Reactions: King_V
You're quoting a review for Platinum version.
Can't say Platinum version is good,
You know as well as I do that the Platinum versions of ANY platform are going to always be better in 99.9% of cases. Which means that any identical review done by Aris of the Gold version, is going to almost without doubt be the same or marginally worse in all areas. I know, not always, but mostly. Often enough to assume it without evidence to the contrary.

I'm curious as to how you came to the ranking of the Zalman GigaMax GVII on tier three, since I can't seem to find ANY reviews of this unit anywhere, not for any capacity designation? If you have a source to a reputable review of some kind, I'd be interested in you sharing that. Thanks.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
i am curious ahout TT Toughpower GF2 gold
Weirdly enough they don't claim OTP for it, despite GF1 had it, thus tier C. It's also completely different platform from different OEM so treat them as different PSUs really.
thoughpower grand rgb gold is a tier?
TT TP Grand RGB Gold Sync edition is tier C because there's some uncertainity about the OTP implementation. In one Aris review the OTP is set to 180°C which is already quite high and on the other he couldn't trip it and stopped at 200°C. So we take that as the lack of OTP. Be aware that there's also non-'Sync edition' version which is different and positioned at tier A low priority but i can't quite remember why it's in low priority right now.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I am planning to buy Deepcool DQ750-M-V2L...Can anyone guide me how is that PSU and in which tier it falls

On our curated list, it's in Tier C, for cheap systems. JG found it failing testing at low voltages. All the high-wattage CWT GPX PSUs have been downgraded on our list for this reason.

I would avoid it. It's not even a particularly good price at $110. Given you can get a SeaSonic Focus, Corsair TXM/RM, Super Flower Leadex III, Antec Earthwatts Pro Gold, XPG Core Reactor, Fractal Design Ion all around the same price, I don't think there's a case to even get it at Tier B.

albertdenobelle

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
Any ideas about the High Power Super GD+ Series? Super gd is on the low priority top tier, I wonder if any reviews were made about plus series. Is it any better than performance GD or no?

Dec 20, 2021
Thermaltake | Toughpower GF1 (ARGB)

Did the OP mean ARGB version only or either the standard GF1 and GF1 ARGB are good?

Mar 16, 2022
These folks were on the LTT forums and dismissed any critique to their precious tier system back when units with way better specification than their tier list was displaying (Silverstone SST 1000-P for example) were literally bottom of the barrel and yet JohnnyGuru's review of said model pits it as one of the best enhance design units, a very strong 12v rail with low deviation in voltage, the minor rails were ripple-tastic he mentioned but within spec. Their only reasoning is that it was "old" even though they included it, using illogical counter-arguments.

That power supply for me personally is now nearing 12 years of solid use.... All I replaced is the fan and has never killed a component.

This is the problem when young kids focus on one thing and think this is all that makes up a PSU "Ripple".

I don't care.. I try to stick within the rule but my patience is not what it used to be due to such narcissistic entitled people that try to think they are smarter than they really are.

Granted this power supply is not used for PC hardware anymore but for 1 year now has powered a 400w RMS 1 OHM subwoofer system just fine.

IMG-20220320-234659.jpg

IMG-20220320-234715.jpg

IMG-20220320-234725.jpg

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The biggest issue with the SST 1000-P was its efficiency. It barely made Silver, basically the high end of Bronze for all intents and purposes. When put up against others in the 1000w class, that's sad as almost all were well into Gold, if not Platinum efficient. At high draws, that means a ton of heat and a lot of wasted power, especially for those pushing mining rigs or in countries with absurd electric bills.

Yes, in itself it might be a very decent unit, with plenty of protections and top-class components, but there were much better units in that power and price range.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
These folks were on the LTT forums and dismissed any critique to their precious tier system back when units with way better specification than their tier list was displaying (Silverstone SST 1000-P for example) were literally bottom of the barrel and yet JohnnyGuru's review of said model pits it as one of the best enhance design units, a very strong 12v rail with low deviation in voltage, the minor rails were ripple-tastic he mentioned but within spec. Their only reasoning is that it was "old" even though they included it, using illogical counter-arguments.

That power supply for me personally is now nearing 12 years of solid use.... All I replaced is the fan and has never killed a component.

This is the problem when young kids focus on one thing and think this is all that makes up a PSU "Ripple".

I don't care.. I try to stick within the rule but my patience is not what it used to be due to such narcissistic entitled people that try to think they are smarter than they really are.

Granted this power supply is not used for PC hardware anymore but for 1 year now has powered a 400w RMS 1 OHM subwoofer system just fine.

IMG-20220320-234659.jpg

IMG-20220320-234715.jpg

IMG-20220320-234725.jpg

if it makes any difference the people who update the list are no longer on the forum (banned), due to their behavior. They also had decided late last year to stop updating it. The list and this thread will be retired in due time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS