[SOLVED] Psu wire questions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
So I'm getting an 2080 ti and I need to connect 2 8 pins to it and I have 2 8 pin connector slots on my 1200 watt thermal take psu but I only seem to have one 8 pin cable cause I lost the other 💁‍♂️ and so idk what cable to buy so if yall can send some links that would be great 👍👍👍

Last edited:
Solution
That depends on your definition of "good". If by good you mean is is a high performance card, then yes. If however by "good" you mean, is it an excellent example of a 2080 TI, then the answer would be no. It is probably, undoubtedly, among the worst of the aftermarket 2080 TI models, as are all the MSI "Ventus" cards, which are budget models for any given series. This, would be a better choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card ($1099.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1099.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-05 17:37 EST-0500

And this, would be a LOT better choice:

PCPartPicker Part List...
well if its been running a 1080 ti for nearly 3 years im pretty sure it does just fine lol

You just don't get it. Power supplies have changed to suit modern hardware, older units have taken out modern hardware due to ageing caps.

But crack on, you clearly know better. If you're happy to spend 1200 on a graphics card and not 100 on decent kit to run it, you won't mind forking out another 1200 to replace it if it goes pop. Don't ask for advice if you already 'know better'.

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
You just don't get it. Power supplies have changed to suit modern hardware, older units have taken out modern hardware due to ageing caps.

But crack on, you clearly know better. If you're happy to spend 1200 on a graphics card and not 100 on decent kit to run it, you won't mind forking out another 1200 to replace it if it goes pop. Don't ask for advice if you already 'know better'.
ill just get a new one... whatevs whats your opinion on a good one?/good ones

This PSU was working fine too, until it wasn't. Granted, your power supply was a much better unit than this one, when it was new. That isn't the point. The point is, this is what CAN and DOES happen, in some cases, when a power supply gets old OR when it is tasked with supplying more power to a new component than what it is still capable of handling. ALL electronics degrade. ALL electronics fail, eventually, given enough time. Yours, has been given enough time.

Even if it was sitting on a shelf for five years, and you bought it two years ago, those capacitors have still been aging for seven years in that case and could be just as worthless as if they had been in use for those entire seven years. I could be fine, But it just as easily could NOT be fine too, regardless that you didn't have problems with your 1080 ti. If you had any idea how many people we've seen that were using a PSU that was working fine, installed new hardware, and then it wasn't, you'd understand.

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
what wattage would be good enough for an overclocked 2080 ti with a 4ghz overclocked 7820x with 4 8 gig trident rgb ram sticks clocked at 3200 mhz with a noctua nhu12s? and an aorus x299 gaming 7?

ill just get a new one... whatevs whats your opinion on a good one?/good ones

I prefer Seasonic units myself, the Focus Gold series aren't that pricey but are pretty dependable. But a Corsair above the grey CX range would also be a decent unit.

The guys here gave you some very good advice, probably because they've seen countless posts about power supplies that failed. It's the beating heart of your system, one of the most crucial components. I'd replace even a quality unit after 5 years because as myself and others pointed out, capacitors age and when they do, components fail.

Spend that 100, it's peace of mind, especially if you have 1200 knocking about for a nice graphics card. From your specs, I'd say 750-850 watts of quality power supply should see you right.

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Reactions: Rogue Leader

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Not only are they both good, they are both probably BETTER than that old Toughpower unit, because they have much newer internal platform designs. That Toughpower unit was excellent when it was new, but that was long ago, and has been long since far exceeded in the platform design since then. In fact, that unit required an internal design that was actually TWO 500w power supplies in one case, to achieve it's 1000w capacity. Normally, a very poor efficiency design that CWT was able to work around in order to give that one decent efficiency with few problems. But none of that changes the fact that even if it was a Corsair AX or Seasonic X unit from back then, I'd still say it was foolish not to replace it with a unit that hasn't been ridden until it looks like a horse with a broken back.

That depends on your definition of "good". If by good you mean is is a high performance card, then yes. If however by "good" you mean, is it an excellent example of a 2080 TI, then the answer would be no. It is probably, undoubtedly, among the worst of the aftermarket 2080 TI models, as are all the MSI "Ventus" cards, which are budget models for any given series. This, would be a better choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1199.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1199.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-05 17:39 EST-0500

Solution

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1199.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1199.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-05 17:39 EST-0500
whats the difference between the ultra and non?

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Binned GPU versus non-binned GPU. Better sustained boost and better overclocking.

If you don't care about the potentially better performance and any 2080 TI is good enough, then go with the Black model.
how much better is the ultra percentage wise? cause as long as i can maintain a oc on the normal black one with 100 on the core and 500 on the mem then im fine

Binned GPU versus non-binned GPU. Better sustained boost and better overclocking.

If you don't care about the potentially better performance and any 2080 TI is good enough, then go with the Black model. Still a better quality card than the Ventus, and much better customer service from EVGA than from MSI, if you need it at some point. Also, EVGA offers the option to buy an extended warranty of an additional 5 years for only 30 dollars or a 10 year extended warranty for 60 bucks. WELL worth the additional money. This has to be done directly through EVGA after you purchase the card, within 90 days of purchase though.

https://www.evga.com/support/warranty/extended.asp

If you want to overclock the card, I'd recommend going with the binned model. Not only will you get better performance, but the binned GPU is likely to last longer under more demanding conditions, than the lower binned GPU is. If you go with ANY of the basic aftermarket card models, I would leave them alone at their default configuration if you want them to last. That goes for ANY brand, not specifically EVGA.

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019

If you don't care about the potentially better performance and any 2080 TI is good enough, then go with the Black model. Still a better quality card than the Ventus, and much better customer service from EVGA than from MSI, if you need it at some point. Also, EVGA offers the option to buy an extended warranty of an additional 5 years for only 30 dollars or a 10 year extended warranty for 60 bucks. WELL worth the additional money. This has to be done directly through EVGA after you purchase the card, within 90 days of purchase though.

https://www.evga.com/support/warranty/extended.asp

If you want to overclock the card, I'd recommend going with the binned model. Not only will you get better performance, but the binned GPU is likely to last longer under more demanding conditions, than the lower binned GPU is. If you go with ANY of the basic aftermarket card models, I would leave them alone at their default configuration if you want them to last. That goes for ANY brand, not specifically EVGA.
btw how long do you think the 2080 ti will last not health wise but performance wise? like will it still be a really good card 10/20 years from now? cause after the psu purchase and gpu purchase im ready to settle down with parts and just accept what i have lol

That is a question I don't think anybody can really answer. We have no idea what things might be developed, or what could change, in six months, much less in ten years. There are people still using their GTX 780 ti from 6 years ago, but they are not all that capable these days since a 1660 ti generally outperforms it, so while it might still be capable by then if you are using the same resolution, we have no idea if the demands of games will increase more or less over the next six years as they have over the last six years. It's all speculation. I'd assume that as demands get higher you might have to reduce some settings eventually if that happens. I would not expect it to be capable of running 4k games at 60fps in 6 years without dropping some settings but you never know. They might develop code or technologies that make it EASIER for hardware. Anything is possible.

Reactions: Chargingboat