[SOLVED] Putting a retail ATX motherboard in a Dell T5400 ?

greenz123

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
Id like to upgrade my pre-built PC which is a Dell t5400. I'm wondering If I can re-use the case and PSU, but upgrade the MOBO to an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max ?
I've found a few sources of info claiming the t5400 is standard atx form factor but I've run into issues with Dell before with very slightly different details than standard.

Has anyone any experience with this case/upgrading motherboard?

Any info appreciated.

Solution
While a standard motherboard may fit, Dell tends to use proprietary connectors to attach front panel, USB, etc connections to their motherboards. While not impossible to work around this, it can be very time consuming to create your own "adapters" to work around this.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Ok thanks. Good to know. Probably more trouble than its worth then. Just seems like a really well built case to throw away!
Agreed, on the quality of the case. Dells do tend to be well made, but often fairly poor in terms of airflow. Those rigs weren't designed for overclocking, etc.

A standard case would be much easier to work with (no doubt in that regard). I (and others) have done what you originally asked about. It can be tedious and results can vary (especially if you fry something by connecting to the wrong thing).