[SOLVED] Putting ISP modem into bridge mode - IPTV issue ?

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Hey folks!

I have admin access to my ISP modem and I'm able to set it in bridge mode and give my ASUS router full control. However, after I complete setup my IPTV stops working.
NOTES:
  • ISP modem is connected with ethernet cable to ASUS router
  • IPTV is connected to ISP modem with ethernet cable (android box)
  • As DNS I use my AdGuard HOME private server (not so much important for this issue I believe)
I can provide WAN Configuration from my ISP or ASUS if needed.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Buy another access point or network switch. Keep the main router next to the ISP modem, place your secondary access point where you want.

If you simply need the extra LAN ports, then buy a $15 network switch and place it at the end of the LAN cable.

Once you put your ISP modem into bridge mode, it no longer serves IP addresses. You get 1 address from the WAN port to the Asus router. From there, the Asus Router will do NAT and convert that WAN address into a range of local IP addresses.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey folks!

I have admin access to my ISP modem and I'm able to set it in bridge mode and give my ASUS router full control. However, after I complete setup my IPTV stops working.
NOTES:
  • ISP modem is connected with ethernet cable to ASUS router
  • IPTV is connected to ISP modem with ethernet cable (android box)
  • As DNS I use my AdGuard HOME private server (not so much important for this issue I believe)
I can provide WAN Configuration from my ISP or ASUS if needed.
Thanks in advance.
Once you put the ISP modem in bridge mode it no longer provides IP addresses to the IPTV. Your Asus gets the one public IP address. You would have to move the IPTV to the LAN ports on the Asus. You may then have to do additional configuration in the Asus.

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Once you put the ISP modem in bridge mode it no longer provides IP addresses to the IPTV. Your Asus gets the one public IP address. You would have to move the IPTV to the LAN ports on the Asus. You may then have to do additional configuration in the Asus.
That's what I was afraid of... My ASUS is in other room and long long cable connects it to ISP. This is completely impossible to do so? No workarounds?

Buy another access point or network switch. Keep the main router next to the ISP modem, place your secondary access point where you want.

If you simply need the extra LAN ports, then buy a $15 network switch and place it at the end of the LAN cable.

Once you put your ISP modem into bridge mode, it no longer serves IP addresses. You get 1 address from the WAN port to the Asus router. From there, the Asus Router will do NAT and convert that WAN address into a range of local IP addresses.

Solution

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Why do you want the asus to have full control? What are you doing with it, the ISP router cannot? Because putting the asus in access point mode solves your ethernet issues, but turns it into a mindless switch with wifi and leaves the ISP device as the controlling ROUTER. Otherwise buy 2nd long etherent cable tie it to current asus feed to run back to isp device and a coupler and couple to iptv device [if there are multiple then put a switch in here at this point for all the iptv ethernet as long as one works first.

TRENDING THREADS