Puzzled by a problem

I have been having this problem and I have no idea if I had a virus or
a hardware problem. My "p" key on my hp notebook doesn't work and
whenever I start the computer, this key is automatically held down by
the computer itself. Not sure if I'm explaining it well. Basically the
computer is doing this on it's own: "pppppppppppppppppppppp ....". It
used to be the "y" key but after I reformatted my HD (for an unrelated
problem) it was ok for a while and now it's the "p".

Ben Myers wrote:
> Possibly a failing keyboard assembly. Could be simply the
microswitch for the
> letter p. Any dust, dirt, or goo find its way inside the keyboard?
>
> ... Ben Myers

I don't think it's because of any dust or dirt since I always keep the
monitor down. If it was the keyboard assembly or microswitch, would it
be easy to fix?

Kyra

On 12 Apr 2005 06:07:10 -0700, kyra@mailtag.com wrote:

>I have been having this problem and I have no idea if I had a virus or
>a hardware problem. My "p" key on my hp notebook doesn't work and
>whenever I start the computer, this key is automatically held down by
>the computer itself. Not sure if I'm explaining it well. Basically the
>computer is doing this on it's own: "pppppppppppppppppppppp ....". It
>used to be the "y" key but after I reformatted my HD (for an unrelated
>problem) it was ok for a while and now it's the "p".

If you have the service manual for the computer, it's not too hard. Just a
little tedious, fiddling with teeny-tiny screws and other small parts not
intended for handling by larger-than-a-child's hands... Ben Myers