[SOLVED] PWM fan hub question (first time builder)

Sep 25, 2020
Hi!
I just finished my first ever PC build using the Fractal Design Define S2 Vision Blackout case and have some issues with how to set up the fan hub.

The case has 4 fans which according to the manual should be connected to a PWM hub to the back of the case.
The manual also states that the CPU fan cable should connect to that same hub which then connects to a CPU_Fan header on the mothercard which is powered by a SATA-connection.

https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Define-S2-Vision_Manual-13.91-MB.pdf
(page 7)

However my CPU fan cable is too short to reach the hub and I have to buy an extension cable.

My question is regarding whether you think it's an good idea to connect everything to the CPU_Fan header as recommended by the manual or if I should connect the PWM hub to one of the Case fan header, and then connect only the CPU fan to the CPU_Fan header and control the case fan speeds by BIOS instead?

Thankful for any advice with this issue

Solution
Absolutely keep the cpu fan connected directly to the board irregardless of length of cable.

3 front fans into the standard fan headers on the hub
Rear exhaust plugged to the one designated as the cpu fan header.

Then link the hub by the bottom port to chassis fan header 1.

Then in bios set chassis fan header 1 to respond to cpu temps.

Depending on board you may have the option to do this AND set the fans to 'silent' mode.
If you have I would do because 3 x 140mm intakes will never need to be run past around 60% imo.

Out of interest what is your component list??
Absolutely keep the cpu fan connected directly to the board irregardless of length of cable.

3 front fans into the standard fan headers on the hub
Rear exhaust plugged to the one designated as the cpu fan header.

Then link the hub by the bottom port to chassis fan header 1.

Then in bios set chassis fan header 1 to respond to cpu temps.

Depending on board you may have the option to do this AND set the fans to 'silent' mode.
If you have I would do because 3 x 140mm intakes will never need to be run past around 60% imo.

Out of interest what is your component list??

Solution
Sep 25, 2020
Thank you for your reply!
If I understand you correctly, all chassi fans should connect to the hub, the hub then connects to chassi fan header 1 and the cpu fan connects directly to the cpu fan header at the motherboard?

Components:
  • Noctua NH-U12S
  • Antec HCG Gold 850W
  • 2x Corsair 32GB DDR4 2666Mh CL 16
  • ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC (hand me down, looking to replace with a 3080 asap)
  • Intel Core i7-9700K - 8 cores / 8 threads / 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo)
  • ASUS PRIME Z390M-PLUS - mATX / Z390

Thank you for your reply!
If I understand you correctly, all chassi fans should connect to the hub, the hub then connects to chassi fan header 1 and the cpu fan connects directly to the cpu fan header at the motherboard?

Components:
  • Noctua NH-U12S
  • Antec HCG Gold 850W
  • 2x Corsair 32GB DDR4 2666Mh CL 16
  • ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC (hand me down, looking to replace with a 3080 asap)
  • Intel Core i7-9700K - 8 cores / 8 threads / 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo)
  • ASUS PRIME Z390M-PLUS - mATX / Z390

Yes exactly that, just that one of the case fans should be connected to the fan header on the hub that's designated as the cpu fan.

That port on the hub is the one that designates rpm and is used to sync the case fans together.

It has to be populated to give an rpm reading.

You're just going to populate it with the rear case fan rather than the cpu fan.

Reactions: Slashy27
Sep 25, 2020
Yes exactly that, just that one of the case fans should be connected to the fan header on the hub that's designated as the cpu fan.

That port on the hub is the one that designates rpm and is used to sync the case fans together.

It has to be populated to give an rpm reading.

Your just going to populate it with the rear case fan rather than the cpu fan.

I see! Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!