Werebat wrote:

> What the heck does this expression mean?

It's the leetspeakified version of "Owns." Someone who beats you
really, really badly at a multiplayer game is said to "own" you, only
they spell it with a P and add a Z at the end.

Thus, "that pwnz" means "that's really cool."
--
Stephenls
Geek

Werebat wrote:
> What the heck does this expression mean?
>
> - Ron ^*^

owns->ownz->pwnz, as in "Werebat pwnz j00! Di€ tr0ll d1e!".

Lorenzo Gatti

Werebat wrote:
> What the heck does this expression mean?

I wouldn't be surprised if it means owns.

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>
>> What the heck does this expression mean?
>
> It's the leetspeakified version of "Owns." Someone who beats you
> really, really badly at a multiplayer game is said to "own" you, only
> they spell it with a P and add a Z at the end.

'spelled with a p' == 'typo', originally.

> Thus, "that pwnz" means "that's really cool."

That was the original meaning, I guess. Now I usually see it as rather
the reverse.

Of course, most of my friends happily make fun of leet speek when the
opportunity comes up, so YMMV.

Keith
--
Keith Davies "English is not a language. English is a
keith.davies@kjdavies.org bad habit shared between Norman invaders

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in news:uuQXd.56388$7z6.17074
@lakeread04:

> What the heck does this expression mean?
>
> - Ron ^*^

It's an acronym for Power Word: New Zealand, the most horrific spell ever
invented!

--
Shadow Wolf
shadowolf3400 at yahoo dot com

Mouse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

On 10 Mar 2005 12:31:24 -0600, Shadow Wolf
<shadowolf3400@NOSPAMyahoo.invalid> raised a finger to the sky and
proclaimed:

>Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in news:uuQXd.56388$7z6.17074
>@lakeread04:
>
>> What the heck does this expression mean?
>>
>> - Ron ^*^
>>

>It's an acronym for Power Word: New Zealand, the most horrific spell ever
>invented!

POTM

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

"Shadow Wolf" <shadowolf3400@NOSPAMyahoo.invalid> wrote in message
> Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in news:uuQXd.56388$7z6.17074
> @lakeread04:
>
>> What the heck does this expression mean?
>>
>> - Ron ^*^
>>

> It's an acronym for Power Word: New Zealand, the most horrific spell ever
> invented!

Does it do vile damage to the nether regions of sheep?

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:59:05 -0500, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net>
wrotC:DRIVE_E

>What the heck does this expression mean?
>
> - Ron ^*^

"My biological age or effective IQ is 13."
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:04:53 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Werebat wrote:
>
>> What the heck does this expression mean?
>
>It's the leetspeakified version of "Owns." Someone who beats you
>really, really badly at a multiplayer game is said to "own" you, only
>they spell it with a P and add a Z at the end.
>
>Thus, "that pwnz" means "that's really cool."

Stop trolling the poor boy, Steph. Really, it's just a fancy way of
spelling peanus.

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

"Stephenls" <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Werebat wrote:
>
> > What the heck does this expression mean?
>
> It's the leetspeakified version of "Owns." Someone who beats you
> really, really badly at a multiplayer game is said to "own" you, only
> they spell it with a P and add a Z at the end.

Why?

-Michael

"MICHAEL BROWN" <mistermichael@verizon.net> writes:

> "Stephenls" <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message
[...]
>> It's the leetspeakified version of "Owns." Someone who beats you
>> really, really badly at a multiplayer game is said to "own" you,
>> only they spell it with a P and add a Z at the end.

> Why?

Much of leetspeak involves (ironic?) intentional typos; "p" and "o"
are adjacent on QWERTY keyboards.

--
Matt Pillsbury
pillsy[at]mac[dot]com

Matt Pillsbury wrote:

> "MICHAEL BROWN" <mistermichael@verizon.net> writes:

>> Why?

> Much of leetspeak involves (ironic?) intentional typos; "p" and "o"
> are adjacent on QWERTY keyboards.

That sums it up. The most visible example of this is a tendency to type
"teh" instead of "the."

In multiplayer game situations, perfect spelling and grammar are not so
important as getting the information across quickly. It's better to
type "TRUNM!" than "RUN!" when playing an MMORPG, f'rex, if typing the
former means your teammates read it fast enough to actually run away
from whatever it is you're warning them about.

Geek culture chews this up and later extrudes it as the latest
fashionable behavior.
--
Stephenls
Geek
"You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
-Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:57:50 GMT, "MICHAEL BROWN"
<mistermichael@verizon.net> scribed into the ether:

>"Stephenls" <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Werebat wrote:
>>
>> > What the heck does this expression mean?
>>
>> It's the leetspeakified version of "Owns." Someone who beats you
>> really, really badly at a multiplayer game is said to "own" you, only
>> they spell it with a P and add a Z at the end.
>
> Why?

You've been online as long as you have, and are not familiar with the
precepts of leetspeak? Shame shame.

>>> It's the leetspeakified version of "Owns." Someone who beats you
>>> really, really badly at a multiplayer game is said to "own" you, only
>>> they spell it with a P and add a Z at the end.
>>
>> Why?
>
> You've been online as long as you have, and are not familiar with the
> precepts of leetspeak? Shame shame.

Much Sh4m3 followed by m4d b34td0wnz.

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:57:50 GMT, "MICHAEL BROWN"
> >> It's the leetspeakified version of "Owns." Someone who beats you
> >> really, really badly at a multiplayer game is said to "own" you, only
> >> they spell it with a P and add a Z at the end.
> >
> > Why?
>
> You've been online as long as you have, and are not familiar with the
> precepts of leetspeak? Shame shame.

<shrug> None of the places I visit on the net that feature such
language-mangling obfuscations.
I have not moved to that particular nuisance yet, as it were.
I do say, though, the idea of embracing a mode of communication that
makes it harder to understand what is being communicated seems more than a
little ... stoopid.

-Michael

"Michael Scott Brown" <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote in

> "Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:57:50 GMT, "MICHAEL BROWN"
>> >
>> > Why?
>>
>> You've been online as long as you have, and are not familiar with the
>> precepts of leetspeak? Shame shame.
>
> <shrug> None of the places I visit on the net that feature such
> language-mangling obfuscations.
> I have not moved to that particular nuisance yet, as it were.
> I do say, though, the idea of embracing a mode of communication
> that
> makes it harder to understand what is being communicated seems more
> than a little ... stoopid.

It's an indirect evolution of hacker culture. See, that's an elitist
subculture where you only get accepted by already knowing how everything
works. An indecipherable language (that evolved from a shorthand language
in the days when modem speeds were measured in baud, not bps) helps to
keep the riff-raff out. Over time, though, the language got adopted by
script-kiddie wannabes, and has infected the entire internet.

"Chipacabra" <chipb@efn.org> wrote in message
> It's an indirect evolution of hacker culture. See, that's an elitist
> subculture where you only get accepted by already knowing how everything
> works. An indecipherable language (that evolved from a shorthand language
> in the days when modem speeds were measured in baud, not bps) helps to
> keep the riff-raff out. Over time, though, the language got adopted by
> script-kiddie wannabes, and has infected the entire internet.

Infected is the right word. On the plus side, now the hackers can't hide
anymore.
Bastards.

> "Chipacabra" <chipb@efn.org> wrote in message
>> It's an indirect evolution of hacker culture. See, that's an elitist
>> subculture where you only get accepted by already knowing how
>> everything works. An indecipherable language (that evolved from a
>> shorthand language in the days when modem speeds were measured in
>> baud, not bps) helps to keep the riff-raff out. Over time, though,
>> the language got adopted by script-kiddie wannabes, and has infected
>> the entire internet.
>
> Infected is the right word. On the plus side, now the hackers
> can't hide
> anymore.
> Bastards.

Don't get confused by the modern definition of hacker. What I meant by the
original term was NOT the informational pirates. They were just the
subgroup of computer users that were making their computers do strange and
unexpected things. In the circles I used to hang out in, at least, creating
a new program was far cooler than cracking someone else's, and breaking
into systems wasn't generally worth the trouble.
Piracy is a separate, slightly overlapping subgroup, somewhat smaller.
Cracking and Phreaking are/were (no one uses 'Phreaking' anymore) also
separate but overlapping groups.

In article <cYGYd.7577$oO4.757@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Michael Scott Brown" <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:57:50 GMT, "MICHAEL BROWN"
> > >
> > > Why?
> >
> > You've been online as long as you have, and are not familiar with the
> > precepts of leetspeak? Shame shame.
>
> <shrug> None of the places I visit on the net that feature such
> language-mangling obfuscations.
> I have not moved to that particular nuisance yet, as it were.
> I do say, though, the idea of embracing a mode of communication that
> makes it harder to understand what is being communicated seems more than a
> little ... stoopid.

Consider the difficulty of cracking an encrypted message that barely
resembles English in the first place, or of picking key words out with
search software.

"w331 pwnz +3h\/\/+< w!+|-| |e3t p74/\/3z 0/\/9/11 OMGLOL" versus
"we shall attack the World Trade Center with planes on 9/11".

To some extent leetspeak was/is used by hackers as an additional level
of obfuscation when exchanging incriminating and encrypted emails.

Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.

"Kevin Lowe" <me@private.net> wrote in message
> Consider the difficulty of cracking an encrypted message that barely
> resembles English in the first place, or of picking key words out with
> search software.
>
> "w331 pwnz +3h\/\/+< w!+|-| |e3t p74/\/3z 0/\/9/11 OMGLOL" versus
> "we shall attack the World Trade Center with planes on 9/11".
>
> To some extent leetspeak was/is used by hackers as an additional level
> of obfuscation when exchanging incriminating and encrypted emails.

That's just wacky. But now I can see that is not completely insane.
Just evil.

-Michael

drow

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004

Alien mind control rays made Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> write:
> Consider the difficulty of cracking an encrypted message that barely
> resembles English in the first place, or of picking key words out with
> search software.

also, it keeps your mom from reading your 5h1t.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:53:08 +0000, Michael Scott Brown wrote:

> "Kevin Lowe" <me@private.net> wrote in message
>> Consider the difficulty of cracking an encrypted message that barely
>> resembles English in the first place, or of picking key words out with
>> search software.
>>
>> "w331 pwnz +3h\/\/+< w!+|-| |e3t p74/\/3z 0/\/9/11 OMGLOL" versus
>> "we shall attack the World Trade Center with planes on 9/11".
>>
>> To some extent leetspeak was/is used by hackers as an additional level
>> of obfuscation when exchanging incriminating and encrypted emails.
>
> That's just wacky. But now I can see that is not completely insane.
> Just evil.

Well, actual hackers never used it, except as a joke, (mostly the biff
bit that was the root of leet).

It's script kiddies who use it, because it's "cool". (For values of cool
that make them look even dumber than normal.)

--
Phoenix

TRENDING THREADS