[SOLVED] Q about setting up DAS with veracrypt

hddnewbie

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hi
I'm new to this. Hope you can confirm that my setup will work!
I might get a new DAS such as qnap tr-002/004 and maybe 8-12 TB disks.
If I skip raid and use the qnap with "single/individual mode", will it work fine to protect the drives with veracrypt?
Will it take long time to mount such large drives?
Br,

Solution
Will my setup work technically? Should I consider "individual mode" as the same as an external harddrive, so that I can use veracrypt?
Yes, mostly.
The TR-004 has a bit more brain than a simple external enclosure. But I see no obvious reason it wouldn't work.

Of course, verify before you spend money.
Ask Qnap.

popatim

Titan
Mounting time varies with your settings, I would expect anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour to mount the drive.

As for "protect the drives", that's only for theft. Hackers & Malware will have full access when you put in the passphrase which is likely to be every time you boot. And then even if you don't mount it every time, what's to keep malware from encrypting your encrypted volume anyways?

If this is your backup drive, It really should be kept elsewhere when not being used to make a backup. Like at a bank vault, someone else's house, a fireproof safe...

hddnewbie

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
My question is not about fire, theft, virus, keeping a backup at a friends place etc.
Will my setup work technically? Should I consider "individual mode" as the same as an external harddrive, so that I can use veracrypt? And will it work with large drives?
Not 100% sure after googling this.

Br