QOTD: Are You Buying Beatles Stuff Tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Not really my cup-o-tea. So the short answer is, no, I won't be buying anyting relating to the Beatles tomorrow, or at any time in the foreseeable future.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I'm buying the PS3 game, non-bundle as I have plenty of RB and GH controllers. I think I only know 4 of the 45 songs on the disc so it will be my first time hearing many of them. My GF is a Beatles fan and without her enthusiasm I'd probably play through Dirt2 first.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
No, I won't be buying. Instead I'll be buying Megadeth's ("Endgame") and Porcupine Tree's ("The Incident") new albums next week.

(spoken with sarcasm) Oh yay, another Beatles re-master.... That makes FIVE times that they've re-mastered the Beatles catalogue since 1983. Hopefully they didn't over-compress the signal like so many sound engineers seem keen on doing...

Meh!

rudeboyransom

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I have actually held off on finishing my Beatles CD collection for tomorrow, so yes I will be buying Beatles. I wasn't aware of the mono and stereo offerings though!

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Nope no more CDs. I was hoping this news piece was about the Beatles going digital :(

Still think we'll hear an announcement in that regard soon (maybe at Apple's next press conference??)

rudeboyransom

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Dave_69

This is the first proper remaster since 1987 of the UK releases, the other remasters were off of American releases and weren't at this quality.

These are being done at Abbey Road using some of the newest technology available as well as vintage equipment.

This will be some of the highest fidelity Beatles music since the vinyl.

rudeboyransom

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
jasperjones,

you are right we are going to hear something soon about them going digital. Paul has always said that he didn't feel the remasters were up to snuff and didn't want inferior music being put into the digital format.

With these new remasters it is going to be a pretty sure bet that we will finally get digital Beatles albums.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
rudeboyransom, thanks for the tip. Again, I hope they don't over-compress the signal. I bought the latest Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" re-master, and I think there's a couple spots in "Us and Them" that reach the envelope of dynamic range, and produce a bit of static. I only mention this because it too is an old recording, though not as old as the Beatles stuff (DSOTM was 1973), and they over-dubbed it, and I would expect more from PF than to allow that to happen. Same with Rush's "Vapor Trails," although that wasn't a re-master, it came off the press sounding clipped and over-compressed. I would have expected better from them as well.

Incidentally I'm listening on a $200 pair of ATH-700 headphones...

rudeboyransom

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Also, a lot of people get remixing and remastering confused. A lot of the stuff that has come out that is really just remixes. The Love CD and the Beatles #1 and the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack were just remixes not remasters. Capitol Vol 1 and II were remasters of the US releases if I am not mistaken.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Well, to you and me, we know the difference. Sadly most listeners probably don't, or wouldn't notice a difference anyway. And realistically speaking, "the kids" these days get digital stuff anyway, and lossy format never does the original any justice (frankly, I can't stand that "whooshy" sound going on in the background of a lossy file - but then again, my headphones are high fidelity so maybe with a cheap-ass pair of iPod headphones the difference is nominal to non-existant...).

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
This Beatles Rock band will be a failure. The Beatles are just too old to have a Video game, Most people who are old enough to enjoy the Beatles aren't playing games anymore. I'm 34, play games and the Beatles are way before my time even...

Come to think of it.. I have never known anyone who listens to the Beatles. Considering Sgt. Pepper's was released in 1967 (7 years before my birth) I am thinking most people who listen to the Beatles would likely be in their late 40's or older. I don't see there being a Rock Band market for this age group.

rudeboyransom

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

You are kidding right?

The Beatles are still extremely relevant and many many new major pop bands list the Beatles as key influences. People in their 20's are just now waking up to the Beatles with movies like Across the Universe and the Love show in Vegas.

I am 29 and just started listening to the Beatles a few years ago and it opened my eyes.

Music never gets old, through music we can live forever!

The game will be a success and after playing the demo at best buy and watching young kids loving it, I will probably buy my first ever rockband game.

Also, a lot of 40 year olds I know love to play Rock Band!

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Humm my ears are 40++ Years old I already have all the Beatles Songs I like on CD's so now they reach into the vault pull out some moldy dusty Masters run them through CakeWalk Pro remove some Pop and hiss and want to reach into my wallet Again for about 20 bucks a CD (He11 NO!)
I can barely tell the Differance between Cd's at home and in my car I don't think "remastering" them will improve them to my ears so I will pass, I have more important things to spend my money on like the Trachyphyllia the LFS has for sale, just need approval from the Boss Er um Wife.

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
The Beatles CDs I already have sound fine to me, so I don't see any reason to replace them with "newly remastered" ones. Besides, it seems to me the "real deal" should be distributed on analog, reel-to-reel tape, not on CD. If the idea is to give the listener the "smack-dab-in-the-control-room" experience....

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, the Beatles game will be fun for people to play who like the Beatles, but I can't see the game being very fun for someone like me, who has only tacit acquaintance with their music. There isn't enough technicality in their music for me to want to pick up a Rock Band game to play their stuff. I was let down with GH: Aerosmith that way too. Joe Perry writes neat riffs, but he doesn't wail, and to me, wailing is what makes a fun GH/RB game. The game was kind of flat. Now, on the flipside, the Van Halen Rock Band would be fun because Eddie's stuff is technical and challenging, IMO.

And when are we going to get a DREAM THEATER GH/RB????!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.