QOTD: How Much Would You Pay for an iPad?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This has to be the stupidest question from Tom's yet. Jane - why? I can see asking, how many of you plan to get an iPad, but asking how much would you pay to a majority of your members who openly admit they pirate/steal most of their software is a waste of time ... seriously, what response did you really expect?

I enjoy most of Apple's products and software, but I'll wait for 2nd Gen iPad -- still bonded to AT&T, if it were open I'd probably get 1st Gen, but it isn't.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Wow, its so funny reading all these comments about $150, $250, etc, when not 2 months ago, just a few days before launch, half these same people said that if it was under $799 they'd snap one up no questions asked... The only feature rumored but not included was the camera, so was that little thing really worth a $500 price drop (when you can add one via Bluetooth for $69?)

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I'm laughing at you guys saying you wouldn't pay a dime for it, wouldn't pick it up if it was laying on the ground for free, and would probably trash it if it was given to you. Who do you think you're kidding? Seriously. There is no way any of you actually do any of what you are claiming that you would and if you actually did you would be an idiot. There's no way you'd trash a $500+ piece of equipment, no way you'd walk right past a free iPad. No way. Wow some of you guys are delusional. Can't even answer a simple question straight without reverting into MS fanboy mode.[/citation]

No but your judgment of what other people desire may be off too. its like saying "if you saw free nascar/wrestling/Monster truck rally/etc tickets you wouldn't take them and go watch it? you crazy!" some people have no desire to do that either.

Sure if there was on on the sidewalk in front of my house, i would pick it up. but more than likely give it to my kids to play with. It does nothing that I could use it for, or already cant do with what I have now.
I cant use it at work, not powerful enough. flexible enough for IT dept or do anything I couldn't already do better.

I dislike touch keyboards, so no using it for typing anything.

storage space is tiny, so not using it to store any major files.

too big to fit in pocket..so not using an MP3 player.

too small to watch movies on. so not using it as a portable entertainment device.

What exactly does it do for me that if I saw one I would respond with "wow! this will fill a desperately lacking gap in my electronic devices".

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]OrderChaos[/nom]Considering the ipod is $199 for 8GB (overpriced there) and $299 for 32GB I would like to see the ipad go for $249 for 16GB wifi only and $299 with 3G + $15/month for unlimited Data. prices increase by $100 for double storage capacity (both 3G and wifi only modely) so 32GB = $349 & $39964GB = $449 & $499and there SHOULD be a 128GB model considering the ipod touch goes up to 64GB. Of course, unless it was less than $100 I wouldn't buy one regardless without multitasking and Flash.Really I'm waiting for some competition in this "new" device sector (Please, please let the courier be real) rather than just jumping on the apple iBandwagon.[/citation]

OK, considering the screen alone is 4x the size, and certainly worth more than $50, i think you're a bit unreasonable. The 6x larger battery, being Li Polymer, is also not just a couple of bucks, and the near double performance processor also has to be worth something, as does WiFi-N vs the iPhones G-only.

$15 for unlimited data? seriously? $29 is already revolutionary, since any notebook data plan on 3G both requires a contract and comes in at $60-80/month and comes with data caps on top... $29 no contract is fine (though I'd like to have seen it be able to tether, though I know the dock port does not have a crossover cable in the design spec so that's impossible for now until a wifi bridging solution wits with OS 4).

A few months ago, people were hoping it would be under $1000. $500 was a complete SHOCK announcement, and no one saw it coming. Easily this thing is worth $150 more than an iPod.

Also, 64GB of SSD (aka flash memory), is not exactly cheap... a 128GB model would add $200 over the 64.

A $50 upgrade, not $130, is more reasonable for the 3G/GPS upgrade, and I don't think $130 will hold for long.

Let's see,

(1) The iPad is basically an oversized cell phone that can't make phone calls.

(2) Unlocked smart phones sell for around $500

(3) Mark up for having a larger screen

(4) Mark down for not being able to make phone calls

So... $500. Not that I'll buy one. But, there you have the "math"

russomd

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Pricing is expected. It is an apple product with an apple premium price. I will buy the Ipad and I have no problem paying $500-$800 for it. Apples products are not meant for the poor. Get over it!

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I'm laughing at you guys saying you wouldn't pay a dime for it, wouldn't pick it up if it was laying on the ground for free, and would probably trash it if it was given to you. Who do you think you're kidding? Seriously. There is no way any of you actually do any of what you are claiming that you would and if you actually did you would be an idiot. There's no way you'd trash a $500+ piece of equipment, no way you'd walk right past a free iPad. No way. Wow some of you guys are delusional. Can't even answer a simple question straight without reverting into MS fanboy mode.[/citation]
I most certainly would trash one if it was given to me. No joke. Useless for anything I would want to do.

If you want to bow to Apple Almighty that is your privilege. Some of us are smart enough not to.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I can't envision a need for one. I've seen CSI:NY use something like them in the show, but they were owned by the lab and obviously had lab specific software applications running on them. They fit into that environment, but I am not running a criminal investigative lab.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
100$ more than an equal storage capacity ipod touch for the 3G models, and 50$ more without. The 50-100 more is to make up for the increased material costs, and apple-markup for the extra material.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
if it were able to run windows 7 and all his applications, faster than my netbook, I would pay U$S 100.

Otherwise, Apple should pay me to use it, and still I would do a lot of cheating non using it.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
well, seeing it's basically my zune hd without some of the features of my zune plus a bigger screen and more locked down. If they didn't lock it down I'd be willing to pay the same for it as for my zune (32 gig version with wifi $290), but with the restrictions in place drop it down to $250 for a 32 gig version.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Considering there are other tablets out there that can be used more freely to my needs I would never pay the "apple tax" for this large ipod touch.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
$100-$150 would be good for the wifi version, then $160-$169 for the 3g and wifi version

If they allowed me to install a copy of ubuntu or another good linux distro I would get one very quickly.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
USD 200, 50 bucks for each doubling-space phase. A netbook-killer gadget should compete in the netbook range, not in the notebook range.

Status
Not open for further replies.