QOTD: How Would You Change Your Browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMBaron

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
IE is my browser of choice, just cause i like the way it's all layed out. While the other browsers are nice, i have and do use them all to make sure i am not missing something. But microsoft does not update IE often. Sure they do on security updates. But the important big chances or tweaks only happen every few years with a new version number. They need to put more effort into this. Maybe if they appeared to care more they would retain and maybe gain markey share.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Make the browsers be like Chrome, fast quick, very stable, (never had it crash by itself, always Vista screwing up, and big screen real estate. It can also play lots of media, when i got it i thought it wouldn't be able to play games or movies online but it didin't need any plugins that weren't already out there. Firefox was my favorite with it's themes, but that was before Chrome, but i would still use Firefox over IE any day, it is also very reliable and very stable.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't like IE because it is slow.

Chrome is a bit too stripped down- I use gmail and have all of my bookmarks in the google toolbar, which I can't use with chrome.

I have the Opera 10 beta installed, and I've had some major compatibility issues with some websites that I have to use.

Firefox is my primary browser, and has been for quite some time now. I really hate how much it crashes lately. I like the previews of the new layout, but I need stability.

cbrownx88

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I wouldn't really change much at all. I

I would add the ability so show 2 tabs in a split-screen manner
-similar to a console's mutiplayer choices (top/bottom, left/right)

That would be kickass

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I would set things up so all the toolbars can be hidden to maximize screen real estate AND distractions.

Next get rid of these misleading/useless error messages: "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" no kidding! ... WHY?!?!? Was it a timeout? Did the website return an error code? I want to have all that on the screen without having to go through extra clicks. Simmilar to the early days of IE when this "friendly message" option did not exist.

Another thing id like to see is finer grained text scaling. yes you can use the zoom option - but that zooms EVERYTHING. Id like to see a text size percentage just like we have for zoom.

- support for multicore systems (multithreading)
- better support for native 64bit versions (windows update gives you an error if you try to access the site with 64bit IE).
- find ways to reduce the overhead. website graphical content is big enough w/o having to add extra bloats from the browser itself.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I'd want a browser with Chrome's Minimalistic design and security, opera's footprint, and internet explorers asthetics.

Basically the best of everything combined.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I would like to have more flexibility with bookmarks. I regularly use 4 different computers and I would like an easier way to synchronize bookmarks between them. And I don't want to use a third party website to do it. I'd be happy with an ordinary text file.

G

I used Opera before but have now switched to Chrome. I prefer the customization that Opera allows me but I could do without all the non-browser bling. Mail, news, widgets, the Speed Dial etc.

Give me an option to exclude all of that on installation and I'd go back to Opera.

stumpystumped

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Not sure about other countries but IE will still dominate OZ for a while yet, most government and education sites are built for IE and using other browser to access sites will give you mountains of pain. I'm not a fan of IE, but sometimes that's your only choice.

Eggrenade

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I would make my browser faster. I really don't care about aesthetics or anything else; I just want to get to a web page quickly. Of course more real-estate is a plus, but speed is paramount.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
It's not so much the browser as much as it is those blasted browser requirements on certain websites. Chrome would be perfect if websites didn't block it (ABC.com's video player, for example).

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I'm not much of a browser visionary but if it was up to me I would take all of the cool, useful features from other browsers and built it into firefox.

G

Firefox just needs Acid Test 3 compliance, shorter application load times, and a smaller memory footprint. Even without those improvements, though, I still prefer it over all the others because of how customizable it is and all the add-ons available.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I use Firefox and already tried Chrome, Opera and Safari.
I still like the classic browser look of FF.
I enjoyed a lot the excelent multitasking of Chrome and its ability to resist to plugin crashing.
Auto-hiding the toolbars would be a great improvement.
Maybe some sidebar with autohide, customized with some mini-sites or application plugins like clock, weather, notepad, some site, etc.
Use the lower part of the browser window to have some useful custom information like time, quotes, weather, news, etc.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Chrome is almost a perfect browser... With limited customizing, I cant call Chrome perfect... I love searching in the address bar. I miss it so much every time I use another browser... Chrome is so fast... If it was capable of displaying everything right all the time (some pages dont load properly) it would be even more ideal. I still dont trust chrome to make purchases online, but this goes back to what I just said. I am worried it will not handle something properly and mess up an online purchase transaction, so I still do all my shopping in IE.

Forum usage in Chrome is Heaven compared to IE including 8. Memory utilization in Chrome is the most ideal as well. I have yet to see my Chrome crash on me, whereas IE can do it once or twice a week at the least.

I wish I could rid myself of annoying adverts at a glance with Chrome, but Firefox does that well with plugin help...

Chrome is not perfect but almost...
IE is far from perfect but still necessary, how else am I going to download Chrome on a fresh install and ditch it afterwards mostly.
Firefox is great, but the look and feel still doesnt call to me. I also hate being plagued by constant messages to update plugins... I mean let me choose to just let you do it all the time WITHOUT constantly telling me to restart the browser.... I like the plugins, but they can be annoying as well.
Opera is just there...

G

I'd like Opera to improve their compatibility with some websites. And if possible, make it faster..

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
I prefer Firefox.

I always move my "page forward, page back" buttons to the RIGHT of the appropriate toolbar -- hey, every right handed person naturally drags the cursor to the right anyway, so why do these buttons default to the left? Anyway, some browsers (e.g., Chrome) will not let me move them, and this is a deal killer for me. If Firefox changes this I will not be a happy camper.

Firefox annoyance: managing bookmarks, either natively or with add-ons, everything seems "awkward" and much more cumbersome than need be.

Tweaking the "innards" of Firefox should be easier, though better than others. Gimme menus rather than "ini" format stuff.

My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.