QOTD: PlayStation Move or Kinect for Xbox 360?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilockitdown

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Wouldn't it be easier to get 3rd party support for PS Move as developers have already made games for Wii, which can be similarly incorporated into PS move. Also, developers could make games for PS Move, and port them to Wii?

d_wolfeman

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I agree with lupinesthlord in that the concept of Kinect seems to be superior and I think they have only begun to tap the potential. Kinect may not have buttons but that could be overcome with using the Kinect in combination with a 360 controller or voice commands. I think a combination of body movement and voice commands can have some really interesting possibilities. Also let's not discount the possibility of Kinect being able to recognize props (audio and/or visual) the user could be holding/using.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Kinect, I'm a programmer (some time ago I read that MS said it would work on the PC too) and it just seems like it would have a lot more options to work with and could be used for more then just games. The Move controler doesn't seem like it would be as good as the Wiimote, which already has uses outside of games.

gtown

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Kinect cant even play proper games.

Id like to see Kinect with games like Killzone 3, Dead Space and Resident Evil.

Move FTW

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Playstation Move all the way. It can do anything that the Kinect can do (with the PS Eye), and more than what the WiiMote can do. The Playstation Eye is smaller, and for everything (including a game, Move, Eye, and Nav Controller) is cheaper than the Kinect alone. The Bulb is also functional, not just for looks.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Depends on what kind of games you like.
Some, like arcade fighting or turn based games, need a lot of button controls, you're using a normal controller for those anyway.
Some require slight tactile feedback, like a FPS. It's just more satisfying pulling a trigger. Move would be better for those, sure. Or you could just buy a gun controller.
Some are just more fun when moving your body. Sports/dance/fighting, a lot of which were the popular Wii games. Kinect could be better for those. The tech does sound poorly worked out though.

I'd go for Move if I had to choose, but that's because it seems like Sony understands the concept a bit better. MS is just putting out an EyeToy clone too late. For the price they want, they could have put both solutions into the same device.
A switchable motion sensor camera AND motion sensing controllers is the ideal solution here. Oh, and a radio for wireless controllers built in too. There's no need for any wired controllers anymore.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I already have a Wii complete with Wiimotes and games so why would I be interested in the Sony Wiimote for PS3?

And please, don't kid yourselves into thinking the "move can do anything Kinect can do with the eye." The Kinect is outrageously advanced. Playstation Eye is a gimmick.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
how about NEITHER, and I save my money for a GOOD GAME instead. should one ever slip through the mound of gimmicky crap we are likely to see with these new controllers...

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
"Move" babe~ probably it will end up like Wii...
I just playing mh3 with my classic wii controller, sorry to say that, others Wii games just crap

G

Neither, I already have a Wii. And at $149 for the Kinect and at least $220 for two player Move (2 orbs, 2 sub-controllers and an Eye) they are bother total rip offs.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
no otheros???
spread the fail whale
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
THE MOVE:

Here's why...

Elder Scrolls V comes out for Xbox360 and PS3. I could have a Move with 2 Controllers one for my sword and one for my shield. Or I could have the Kinect...

I think applied to an actual game like the Elder Scrolls series the winner is clear.

I might not make the Move over for fps's but I think it's gonna get more use in big titles then the Kinect will. and thats what I game for... not to work out, not for social networking, but for Gaming. And for that, I think the Move wins it.

mutantmagnet

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Oh I forgot to add I'm interested more in the move mostly due to the software they are trying to make and their existing software like Heavy Rain.

mutantmagnet

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"Though they're aimed at the same demographic"

No they aren't. The MS conference was clearly aimed at people who shun the Xbox because the existing software isn't appealing and the controller is too intimidating.

The Sony conference was all over the place which is no surprise when their current tagline is the PS3 can do everything. As a result their message was more like MS is dumb, Nintendo is behind the times, we're tough guys and you want to hang out with us macho men.

They are trying to keep their existing userbase happy by making software they think might be appealing to them (I'm also thinking of what was shown at GDC). They are trying to appeal to people who maybe more attracted to the Wii than the PS3 but it seems like they don't have much confidence or even a good theory on how to do that considering their price point and shorter attention at pushing their move software meant for this potential audience.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Move. I own a PS3 and have no interest in the X360. But even if I did own both systems I would choose the Move. When it comes right down too it I just don't feel like jumping around and waving my arms in the air like an idiot. The Kinetic has a lot of potential but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.