QOTD: What Don't You Like About Macs?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]deck[/nom]They stole the linux kernel and returned nothing to the open source community. For that, they get a life time boycott.[/citation]

Correction. OS X is NOT based on Linux. The Kernel is based off of BSD. Apple's use of open source software in their OS is completely legal and in accordance with the licenses for the software they incorporate. None if which is GNU afaik. For more details, check out the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

disclaimer: I don't own an Apple computer, and I'm not an Apple fan. I also don't vouch for the accuracy of anything on the wikipedia page. But I am quite certain that OS X is NOT a Linux derivative. I do run both Linux and Windows systems.

As to the actual survey. My biggest gripes with apple in order are: 1) Overpriced. 2) Not allowing OS X to be loaded legally on 3rd party systems. 3) Steve Jobs' ego. Otherwise, I believe that are very innovative.

ram1009

Distinguished
I despise all things Apple, beginning with the idea that they ( the company ) are somehow better than everybody else and their customers should feel privileged to pay extra to belong to their club. Actually, now that I think about it they remind me a lot of Harley Davidson except Harley's products are antiquated. Basically they both are selling style rather than substance.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I think most of us are do it yourself kinda people and well apple is just no a do it yourself kinda company. Their prices before upgrades are usually a little high to very high and 95% of the time after an upgrade the price is just outrageous. There operating system and hardware compatability is why I really draw the line. I really think there 13 inch macbook isn't priced to bad but the 15 and 17 are just too expensive. Plus I don't how any other company could make a non removable battery sound cool and get away with it. Their entry level imacs are badly priced either but forget it with an upgrade. I am an modder and an ocer neither of which are condoned by apple and have probably saved 3 grand over the past 6 years by not going mac and haven't been unhappy.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Some issues i don't like about Macs:
1) Price is too expensive.
2) If one buys a Mac is to use MacOS but the problem is the same as Linux: it won't run nativelly PC programs especially games (Crisys won't run natively on MacOS).
3) I still don't get if MS Office for Mac is fully compatible with Office 2003.
4) Upgrading an Apple hardware seems a strange and expensice concept while a PC is a common thing.
5) I don't like Macs graphic cards and one should be able to go to a shop, buy and install any nVidia or AMD graphic card one would like.
6) What is that thing that to run a PC Program one must switch from MacOS to Windows to run it?? That should be 100% transparent to user. After all he's buying an Apple machine with MacOS and not a PC with Windows.
7) Mac machines have always an odd and small selection of HW, always behind PCs... just take a look at Mac Mini!

Was it worth to change from PowerPC to Intel processors and one can't still run natively and transparently a PC program for at the double of a PC price? ...

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Apple markets to the lowest common denominator for it's user base. Over and over again, I hear Mac-users make comments like "I can't find a Mac anti-virus in the store so they must be virus free" or "they use less memory" and other completely nonsensical computer-sounding statements. They are willing to pay large bucks for the machine, more bucks because the software is rarely on sale, etc., without realizing there are PC equivalents at greatly reduced costs. I truly believe that if their user base was more informed and less willing to carelessly part with their cash, Apple would be force to clean up their product issues.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Wow, flamebait much?

Here is the latest reason I love my Windows PC and am not interested in Macs. I was trying to help someone do some desktop graphic design and publishing with a Mac and the latest version of OS X. The printer of choice was a Canon, which allegedly has good Mac driver support. After a few hours of wrangling, the printing process became a best-guess effort since the settings in the publishing software and the driver software never seemed to line up reliably. The same set of software and printer with Windows produced quick, reliable output with no guessing over which setting to tweak to get it right. In Windows, there was one control panel for what I needed to do, in Mac there are two (or more) that had varying effect.

I decided for future reference, to just ask the person to give me the design job and I will take care of layout and printing, I can get it done in Windows in half the time it takes to fight with OS X over it, let alone get the Mac user to understand all the settings. Not that I have anything against Mac users, but the same task requires a LOT more patience and trial and error in OS X than in Windows.

james_8970

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Why on earth is a computer enthusiast site defending a company that refuses to allow DIY users to use their OS? Common Tom, get back to real news, this isn't a blog.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
[citation][nom]sp00[/nom]I am both a PC and Mac user, but I think it is kinda unfair to compare self built PC to Prebuilt computers like the Mac. It would be fair to compare Dell or HP workstation to Mac Pros (which uses workstation components). Plus, a lot of you are not factoring the cost of the OS. I would also agree that OSX Tiger was really bad, but OSX Leopard is equal to XP or Vista in terms of usability. When you start to compare prebuilt computers makers to Mac Pros. It starts to become clear that Mac are comparable in price. Sony came out with an all in one desktop computer similar to the iMacs and their price is comparable. The community at Tom's Hardware built their own PC and it makes sense that Apple is not for them. I'm not saying Macs are better than PC, but I think some of the comparison are not really fair.[/citation]

OK, I've read a few comments like this one.. And here is my answer. Where I live - noone buys HP, Dell or Lenovo unless a) it's laptop (which is kina hard to DIY anyway), or b) it's government or government company
Home and small office users (95% of the market) buy either components, or pre-built computers made by local shops (which cost the same as components, so you get build-up for free).

Brand names are probably nice for US, and some of the countries like UK or Japan or whatever. But I kinda doubt that many other people buy those.

To make things clear, yes, maybe Dell is as expensive as Apple. But I'm not buying either. I can build them cheaper myself, I can build them cheaper for my friends and family, I can service them cheaper if needed, I can upgrade them cheaper, and whats most important - I get no void warranties just because I took the screwdriver in my hand and opened the piece of tin-can we all call case.

Oh, and if you're thinking right now something along the "yeah, but TIME IS MONEY", I'll tell you right away - I can put together and install everything in 2 hours. 2 hours is worth roughly 10$ where I live. So should I pay extra 2000$ just to save 10$? Economics & pure logic says - NO.

So there you go. Go buy an Apple, have fun. When I'll have more money than I can spend maybe I'll do it too..

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]wow i stand by my last post youa re true and total dooshe of a n idiot ... your article states this "The question of the day is: What don't you like about Macs?Is it the pricing?Is it the software?Is it the operating system?Is it the compatibility?Is it Mac users?Or is it simply that it's Apple?Explain your case."not the aprt about mac users .... how can you expect some one to answer this question AND not say WHY they answered it the way they did ? you said don't insult other posters .. you didn't say a dang thing about insulting mac users in general i am toatally amazed at your own incompetance ... LOL thanks for the laugh though[/citation]

Hi demonhorde665 -

Thanks for your feedback. I'm not sure what's incompetent about asking people to be nice. I asked in the article if one of the reasons why a user may not like Macs is because of Mac users.

I'm not quite sure you understand the big difference between pointing out certain characteristics about someone that bothers you, and then outright insulting them. I never asked, "how would you insult a person to make yourself feel better?"

Someone is more than welcomed to say something like: I don't like Apple products because some of the Apple users I know always talk like the hardware they use is better than everyone else's.

That is not an insult.

There's nothing "douche"-ey by asking people to be nice and polite. Also, asking what I asked gives me the opportunity to give some perspective, it doesn't mean go ahead and insult and flame people.

If you'd like to take it that way, then my apologies but I think you need to quit hating on people.

/ Tuan

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]james_8970[/nom]Why on earth is a computer enthusiast site defending a company that refuses to allow DIY users to use their OS? Common Tom, get back to real news, this isn't a blog.[/citation]

Hi james_8970 -

Can you let me know where in the article I "defended" Apple? Your sentence exactly: "computer enthusiast site" -- not "Windows PC and Not Macs Hardware.com"

/ Tuan

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Duh? Key word: Build.

WTH? TomsHardware been promoting Mac for the last few years. Might as well rename to TomsMacHardware. Then again going this route, tom won't have much to talk about hardware, but to constantly put down Window. Tom exists because of PC? Uh...yeah reviewing a few certified Apple hardware is fun. Compare that to being able to review 10 different sticks of RAM from 10 different companies - that's the true american spirit.

Face it. MAC are consoles.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]"Windows PC and Not Macs Hardware.com"/ Tuan[/citation]

I was petitioning for the website name to be changed to that, before BoM's ugly head popped in.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Dave K[/nom]While I agree that comparing a top of the line mac to a homebuilt is unfair... it doesn't necessarily follow that a top tier PC vendor isn't also going to outperform Apple on Price/Performance. I can tell you right now... if you pay $3000 for a PC from Dell or any other top vendor, you won't be getting a $65.00 graphics card in it like the system referred to by the author. I'd be very surprised if such a system came with less than a $500 graphics card. I don't understand Apples hardware design on these new systems... spend a grand on Processors and Mobo, then lowball the graphics... it's crazy.[/citation]
Oh, yeah, that's one point I forgot to underline (and should be mentioned every time). It's called balancing the system - and Apple knows nothing about it.
They get an entry level CPU and entry level GPU and than put expensive DDR3 in the same box.
They give you a 8-core monster with a 50$ graphics and 2GB RAM.
They give you a 30" display and a 50$ graphics card.
And the list goes on.. And again, than you want to upgrade but either can't (hardware not available for that system) or when it is it's priced like it's Cartier-edition.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Try building the best system you can for the price that Apple's selling its Mac Pro for, and post what you come up with too. $3,299 is the price of Apple's top base config for the Mac Pro. Let's see what you guys come up with!/ Tuan[/citation]

Well, will you accept my 2-for-1 concept? I really have no need for buying anything over i7 + HD4870.. and I really like the idea of having two such computers than wasting so much money on a single computer whose performance I'll never fully use. :)

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
(could Tom's just allow us to see all comments on a single page, without hiding anything and so on.. or at least give us option to rise the limit to 100 posts.. luckily scripting is now mostly fixed so no more layer-bugs :p )

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Okay, pricey, arcane OSX, smugness, zealotry ("Their like Raiders fans, only wimpier, and frail"), relatively closed architecture have all been covered. Even "form over function" ANALosity has been touched on although, I like to add the one button mouse fiasco and their context-menu rigidness to that list. All these have worked to keep me from ever recommending MACs.

To further illustrate this point, I had the unpleasant task recently of spending way too much time trying to connect her MAC laptop to a Windows network printer, something one would think so be a cakewalk given where ubiquitous printer and network technology is today. NOT! After failing to recognize the Canon printer via their supposed simple Preferences/Network interface only to be driven down a dead-end street named CUPS on a streetcar name Google, I finally gave up and simply had her use a portable flash drive to print the documents of interest from one of the Windows machines.

Yes, one can argue that Apple should not be blamed for not having native support for a Microsoft network printer, however, I will counter that it is illustrative of why Macs will continue to be down in the low teens of market share.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
1. Overpriced. Nothing they have justifies the price that Apple charges.

2. Apple is what I call a closed propriety company. You want to upgrade hardware or software, well you pretty much have to go to Apple and then you are at the mercy of their prices.

3. The way Apple does business. They would rather sweep things under the rug, sue, or just totally, if they can, shut down any issues that arise with their products.

4. The way Apple advertises. They equate windows with the PC. First I do not have to use windows with a PC. I have the choice of other OS's. I can get or build a PC that can perform and do anything an Apple can do and for less money. I can even upgrade anything I want and am not tied or force to go to any one particular company.

5. They make money on the arrogance and/or the ignorance of the majority of their users. Most do not know anything about their systems. If you ask, you just get the same sales pitch you just heard on the latest Apple commercial. They might as well carry around a little red book with the Apple logo on it.

In short all those who are of my opinion or not. check this out:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
PC user said "Over priced (I think so too)".
Mac user said "Over priced but it's worth it".

So basicly, Mac user think they do something good because he know nothing about PCs and benchmark. They like the Mac style.

PC user know what is a GOOD machine. I don't want an old Intel CPU. PC user also know Mac OS aren't that good.
Windows OS could need more knowledge to use.

Basicly, Mac user live 2 year in the past... with the OLD hardware and OLD PRICE.
As long Mac user think they have GOOD hardware and BETTER OS this will be always the same.

I don't personally prefer Windows or Mac. Both have their own advantage.
But personnally, I hate the way OS world running right now.
Currently, Microsoft Windows 7 remove stuff in their OS for make them more user friendly.
We don't see any evolution between Windows OS.
If I could run a quad core with 8gb of RAM on Windows 95-98 on DX10, with a custom theme this would be the same as Windows 7.
So that they doing...?

Next step, I think, should be permit customization of tools.
Why? we talk about security but I can't actually see who browse or download files on my computer ? I share them with NetBeui sharing (Windows protocol) ? Any ftps or sharing apps will permit to see who is connecting right now. Windows forget about it ?
WHY? When I transfer 32gb, Windows Vista/7 just give me a estimate time ? Why I can't have the filename like XP ?
They have many points that Microsoft can improve.
They have .NET framework in Windows. So you should be able to custom 2-3 gui...

This is what I was waiting in Windows 7... but they totally missing the target.

I can't tell Mac OS X do better in that way. You stuck with their method.

DeadlyPredator

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Is it the pricing? LOL, you waste your money for a name...

Is it the software? I hate i??? software, they look to have been created for stupid people

Is it the operating system? People keep complaining about the pc / windows link at pc sale, have you ever try to broke the mac / osx link... I hate osx, I don't want an OS with alpha effects everywhere, glossy finish, lot of shade animations... I want a grey OS which is very fast and stable, but allows me to play my video games without background tasks running in the background for nothing. Like windows 2000, but with more useful features and less exploits of course.

Is it the compatibility? Try to get a gtx 280 in a mac... can you? If no, how can you play crysis at full details with it?

Is it Mac users? They are like a sect, for them MS = evil, Apple = heaven. They are nuts.

Or is it simply that it's Apple? I hate the corporate image of apple. They try to look green, friendly, responsible but they are all the opposite. Their produits are crap, they sell them at crazy prices, create brainwashing ads and people buy that. That's sad.

Really I hate apple.

G

Before I say what I don't like about macs, I just want to point out that not all mac users are "idiots that can't figure out windows" maybe some, but not all.
So the major things I don't like are the price and the fact that the laptops don't have two buttons for the mouse and you have to ctr click for a right click. I used windows for 13 years and the only problems I had were the occasional freeze up and over time my computers began to crap out on me. Now I just switched to a high end 17" PowerBook (which I bought for like 500$) and I have no complaints, besides the mouse button.

And I do have one more complaint which is the fact that every time you buy something from apple, they realease an updated better version of it like a week later.
Other than that, I would personally rather throw down the moeny for the mac.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Service and Quality:
2/3 ibooks I've owned died of motherboard issues. 1st one, bad mobo, no warranty because MACs have "higher quality." Learned my lesson there. 2nd one, bad mobo, service department sent box, I sent them laptop, they saw a crack on the plastic around the nic and said we're not going to fix it even though I had uber 3 year warranty. Both times I parted out the laptop a couple of months before they admitted to the flaws and did recalls. Which they seem to do alot of for having such a limited line up. 3rd ibook, G4, slow as hell since nothing was ever optimised for PPC after the intel switch. Many PC laptops I've had/supported in same time frame all lived 5+ years or until dropped down stairs etc.

Software:
Biggest complaint about OSX is support for games. I can't complain about poor video card selection and performance, until they get some games first. Also I hate that when you install quicktime on a pc, it now tries to bundle iTunes, and then every time you update quicktime. Otherwise OSX is decent.

Price:
There are some configurations that are basically ok. If you are willing to risk their Service and Quality. You are forced into certain form factors though if you choose Apple. If you are like me and want to play games, well "you can dual boot." Not really, the cost to get an Apple that can game well is very high. Cost of windows + you either suffer a low-medium graphics card, or blow way more than you need on a Mac Pro. You have no options if you want upgradeable normal mid-tower. If you're in the market for exactly what they offer you might be ok.

Limits your ecosystem:
Once a person goes Mac, you might as well go all in, why support both ecosystems? Mac doesn't fill all needs. If you want just a basic laptop for browsing web, you can do cheaper (same quality in my opinion). If you want a HTPC you have no Apple choices, no BluRay. Hardcore gamming PC, Apple = no. Basic desktop Apple still more expensive, (Inspiron 530s with monitor = 479). Basically the only time Apple makes sense, is if you have a very narrow scope and Apple fits it exactly. Small ff w/o bluray that can do simple games like WOW but not hand built from newegg. All in one that can do simple games like WOW ok, and w/o BluRay. Situations that require OSX. For everthing else, get a PC.

-Bounty

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I am not about to start ranting about price differences, I think many of us who built uber systems spent in the area of $2000 to $3000 on our machines; I can't fault other people for doing the same even if the hardware isn't as good. Does mine "perform" better? Definitely, but it's a moot point since either side got what they were looking for.

Reasons why I do not like the current Apple computers:

1) I do not like OSX. I don't like the dock, I think it is too showy (I have the Windows 95 classic theme on my computer running Vista Home Premium). I do not like the finder, I think it is too easy to lookup similarly named files and programs (happens when I use Windows Search, so I disabled it). Using OSX feels like a console, like Nintendo Wii. There needs to be more third party support for programs in general, especially if Macs are ever going to be used in business. I need a mouse with two buttons.

2) Lack of performance hardware. The fastest processors and recent graphics cards are not available in Macs. Probably because of non-existent cooling available in the Mac cases. There is so much hardware out there that does not work with Macs.

3) I do not like Apple, primarily because I would be forced to use their software (tying into lack of third party support). iTunes is terrible. Despite the open source claims, Macs are anything but open source (see psystar lawsuit). DRM. I know Microsoft also has these issues, but at least rthey allow third party developers to make their own solutions and be compatible with Microsoft.

AncientToaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
Speaking as a Mac owner, I genuinely like my Macbook. Or at least the Operating System. I used Windows for five years before trying OS X, and I find OS X much more comfortable to use. It just feels more friendly and intuitive--neither of which are concepts that can be defined concretely, admittedly.

The hardware is another matter. The build quality on Macs is cheap, though they look pretty, and repairs or replacements are obscenely expensive ($80 for my broken battery, $80 for my broken power supply, ouch).

Yeah price.

Software wise they continue to claim compatibility but it just isn't true. At my college, they employ macs in some classrooms and computer labs (which nobody uses unless all the windows machines are in use, they should take a picture of the labs for a mac vs windows ad!)and I don't know how many times I've had a presentation epic fail because of these incompatibility issues. Not only is it embarrassing when the presentation went off without a hitch at home, but it affects grades as well.

Because of this, I went out and bought a windows laptop. Not saying I've never had a problem since (vista decided to shut windows down in the middle of a presentations, fix? got rid of vista), but I haven't had the same problems. Excel doesn't work the same either, so I guess my number one complaint is they can't run software like windows can. Games included, it just isn't a viable platform for me.

And how can anyone stand the mice and keyboards? ugh!

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Lenovo ThinkPad T500
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz 25W
XP Downgrade
15.4" WXGA
ATI Radeon 3650 Mobility
2GB DDR3 (1 DIMM)
160 GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
DVD/CD combo drive

Price: $938.40
Plus, it's Lenovo. The only computer builder to actually ship computers with quality in-house software pre-installed. Well built case too.

Apple MacBook
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
MAC OSX
13" LCD
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
2 GB DDR2 667 (2 DIMM)
120 GB Hard Drive 5400 RPM
DVD/CD combo drive

Price: $999.00 (Cheapest model)

Status
Not open for further replies.