QOTD: Which Browser Do You Use? Why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Firefox: It's on par with the fastest browsers out there, but the addons are what push it ahead of the pack.

If I'm not using FF I usually resort to Opera; or even Safari. I've tried IE8 and M$ is going in the right direction on that, BUT I still think they have a bit to go before they catch up.

Son_of_Blob

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
Firefox all the time. It's probably THE most satisfying piece of software I have used since I bought my first confuser back in 1983. It's that good. The add ons are especially yummy and it all works without any hassles, including updates. Well done the Mozilla team!

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Firefox most of the time ... i run mozilla browsers for as long as i can remember.
I know i am one of those Netscape users that never liked the way internet was changing in to microsoftnet but even so ever since the early firefox releases i grown to love the little ah heck.

However i am not bound by firefox per se as i do use Opera and safari from time to time and some times even IE (though mostly only to run MS updates or to verify my license and even so even more often to just grab another browser from the web).
On my mac i only use camino but then again my mac's are aging (a "snowy" imac G3 600Mhz and a GB Ethernet dp 500Mhz G4) and camino just responds way better on them then safari or firefox (or worse up to date versions of Opera).

gr8scott88

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
chrome, its the fastest browser around hands down. I like FF and all, its addons are awesome, but next to chrome it crawls (i mean the 30 or so addons dont help the matter, but hey)

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I have been using IE8 since its bundled with Win 7 RC and its a huge improvement over IE7. However, I took a quick look at Firefox 3.5 and I think I might have to switch back to them. Being able to tear off Tabs into new or existing windows is awesome. Also, I love the idea of HTML5 multimedia tabs and it looks like Firefox is the first browser to support them with the Ogg AV codecs.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I use Firefox with no-script as well as Adblock plus. Speaking for myself I switched to firefox almost two years ago having a bad run in with some kind of spyware/virus that installed a keylogger unknowingly. But now with the big switch to heavy websites with flash ads and websites being heavily dependent on your system, forced me to use Adblock plus otherwise surfing the internet would be nearly impossible. Seeing I'm running a Sempron 2400+ kind of stuck with it though, most sites are a hassle to deal with now. Some heavy sites cause my browser to hang quite a bit but at least I can control most of what I see unlike other offered browser.

I use two browsers.

Firefox: I've used it since Firefox 1.5 or 2.0 I think. I started using it because I had so many windows open in Internet Explorer 6 but my old Compaq was so crash-prone (Most of the time it wouldn't stay booted for more than 20 hours at a time) and Internet Explorer 6 didn't have window recovery features. Firefox had them, so I naturally went to that. Used it mainly for another 2 years after that.

Internet Explorer: Used it predominantly ever since I got into computing circa 2002. First IE5, then IE6, then I beta tested all versions of IE7. Now upgraded to a Windows RC build of IE8. For a while, I used it side by side with Firefox.

Now, I use Firefox more than IE8 because of only one reason: IE8 on my copy of Windows 7 RC 64bit doesn't function correctly. It would sometimes just refuse to open tabs, or connect to websites. It just happens randomly, and it's not one of my addons. I've stopped trying to find the cause, and I'm just going to wait for the final copy of Windows 7. Once IE8 comes with a more robust tab recovery feature and starts functioning correctly, I will be back on IE8 in a heartbeat.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Firefox of course. It has Firebug plugin which ease the pain when im doing web development. Chrome has similar built-in feature, but somehow it's not the same, maybe the font?

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Using Firefox and I hate Safari. Shifting between 20 tabs is annoying because I have to select them in a drop down menu after tabs exceed like 10 or something.

oktoberfest

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Right now IE8. Yeah it's somewhat slower than Chrome and Firefox, but at least it works. It's probably just my computer, but Firefox and Chrome seem to simply mess up or become corrupt somehow over time for me. Like Firefox, my back/forward buttons stopped working, and it deleted all my bookmarks and making new bookmarks didn't work (ex. nothing happened when you clicked that little star). Chrome seemed to hang and crash often (seemed to get it when going on Facebook).

So while I do admit IE8 is slower and less versatile, at least it works.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Avant Browser based off the Trident engine (which is what IE uses). Its a IE shell browser yet its not at the same time. Best browser I have ever used and ever will use. NO need for any of the other Big 5.

FF = Fail crashed on me more times then IE had so that was gone
Safari 4 = Crashes just as bad as the above
IE8 = Slowest of the new browsers and still crashes although not as bad as the above
Chrome - Honestly never tried it so I can't rate it
Opera - Is my first canidate to replace Avant when it starts to stale. Right now the only thing Avant really lacks feature wise built in is a "spell check" but version 12 is coming soon so who knows?

nishant_nms

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Opera every where... on my PC and mobile. Due to it's capability to render pages faster. And unique Opera link. In fact I love every thing about opera. Using It for more than 5 years. Have all the other browsers installed on my PC. but still no one was able to dethrone Opera.

G

Firefox. I just installed 3.5 -- Chrome would be great if it had adblock+. I use Chrome for Google mail and calendar, but if I leave it up and running for >24 hours, Gears crashes. Usually need to reboot XP when that happens.

Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, Firefox,

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Chrome 2. It's fast, it looks gorgeous in Aero, and it updates itself without me even noticing. The search bar and the address bar all in one looks great and hard to live without.

On Mac, I'm using Safari 4, but it will occasionally slow down. It was hideous in the beta, but it looks like they fixed it. I just wish it was as fast as it claims to be consistently.

Firefox is too slow on either platform for me to consider it. What good are add-ons if it can't even load pages without waiting? The only add-ons I ever used for the thing were themes and Ad-block, but I'd give those up for something that performs better any day. Chrome happens to look better too, so I don't think I'm missing out.

csturtle

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Chrome, its so fast and i like its very simple and easy interface, im not one to like a bunch of plugins and addons to be there when i just get on to do something like check email, i do use FF or sometimes IE8 for netflix and a few other tasks that are not compatible with chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.