QOTD: Which Browser Do You Use? Why?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
In Windows (mostly Vista, a little Win7, rarely XP) IE 8 as I'm most used to it and like a lot of the new features. I do occasionally use FF 3.5 for sites that don't work well in IE (some developers would rather die than support IE). I tried out Safari just cause of the nifty animations, but I don't really use it at all.

When I occassionally play around with Linux or when I'm forced to use a Mac, I use FF.

G

Opera because it's much more responsive. All the other browser seem to reload when you hit the back button which seems completely pointless to me. Site preferences is also very easy to use to disable javascript or set cookies on a per site basis.

Haiku214

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Ever since I used chrome, I never really wanted to go back to any other browser. The best thing about it is the ease of use. It's as simple as that. The dragging, swapping, and detaching of tabs are so smooth and snappy.

"Lol, no offense, but that's like saying, "I bought this car because it had a leopard colored rear view mirror!" =P" ---- This comment doesn't make any sense.

No offense also but do you really know the importance of dragging a tab to a new window?

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Opera for 99% of my needs. Firefox (still haven't upgraded to 3.5 yet) for the two sites that don't play well with Opera.

G

Opera on Windows, Mac and mobile, mostly because of its ability to sync bookmarks between all the platforms and installs and familiarity.

warlordsagan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I use Firefox because I like the features. The thing I wished it had was separate processes for each tab like Chrome. Firefox wasn't tried to be crammed down my throat like Internet Exploder. For The Loose

Gazz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
You know ---- I was not going to make a coment on this topic because I have only been useing IE8 I have never used any othere explorer I correct myself I used netscape way back in the days of Win95 when I went to Win98se I just kept useing windows So I cannot realy say which one is better I believe that if the OS comes with an internet explorer then I must be paying for it so I will use it Simple
I hate adds I wish Microsoft would mack it so I dont have to see them Sooo I fold up my window like you do a newspaper and just read the article Unfortunatly these adds are getting sneeky when I left this article Back to Toms home page All of a suden there was this voice emenating from my speakers WOW i must have activated an add when my mouse passed over a trigger box I never clicked on it Thats why I am posting stupid bloody adds Thankyou Tom for your adds
Great article though
Gazz

ascona

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Opera on Linux and Windows, Opera Mini on my cell phone.

Because it's fast with many tabs and have the functionality I need without spending time on tweaking, which is nice when installing new computers often.

G

Google Chrome.Tab interface is much more simple to use. default main page is actually your top 9 most visited sites. Don't really need a keyboard to operate it, only down side is chrome has a funky download apparatus.

Chrome >/= FireFox 3 > safari4 (IE8 is just ugly and sucks)

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
As painful as this is to say, i use IE6, yes, six, more than anything else in my day to day. Reason? My company refuses to upgrade the browser because they have coded proprietary internal programs to work with 6 and don't want to spend the time to make sure it works with 7 or 8. So yeah. At home i mostly use IE8 unless i am on a website i know doesnt like IE, then i use Firefox. I dont really care about adblock etc, i've become so adept at ignoring them over the years they might as well not even be there.

zdzichu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Epiphany. Started using it long ago because it had better integration with desktop than Firefox. Fx got better, but Epi is still winning by using system's password store, Zeroconf bookmarks and few minor things. I will continue using Epi because of incoming WebKit migration (from Gecko).
As for Opera, I never found it satisfying. To much tinkering required and it look like something from other planet.

G

Opera and Safari 4 if any occasion some site doesn't support Opera (note: not the other way around). IE if every things failz which is very rare. I notice other browsers always took credit for what Opera pioneered. Please have a look, try and learn to use Opera it makes your browsing experience so much pleasant.

I also use Chrome for its lean & simple feature on old PCs.

Cwize1

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Chrome. It opens fast and has a better streamlined interface. When a website doesn't work I open up the laggy firefox

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I use firefox because I heard it doesn't allow certain background javascript execution without authorization to implant malicious code unlike I.E. 7.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Chrome 2 on the desktop and both laptops. I will use IE7/8 (one laptop has 7 and the other 8)from time to time, but usually get frustrated by it being far slower than Chrome. I find Firefox a good all around alternative to IE7/8. I use it at work as it's the only alternative IT approves of. There are only certain small glitches in chrome displaying certain pages that will force me to use IE7/8. If chrome gets the plugin thing down it'll be perfect. Drag and Drop and gestures are must have.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Who has heard of Maxthon? I used to use it on everything all the time. Loved it. It just locks up after 10 tabs or so, which is unacceptable. That's when I made the switch to Chrome.

tomtom_32

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I use firefox because it can access wikipedia directly and i use wiki a lot. plus firefox is a very fast, safe, secure and fun browser.
i alway update it to the latest version and don't have any complaints at all.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
IE8, simply because it's good enough for my use. Security risk isn't really a problem if you know what you're doing on the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.