QOTD: Which Browser Do You Use? Why?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
On a business network, IE8.

Until the other browsers have Group Policy support out of the box, that's not going to change anytime soon.

At home, Firefox, and I recommend this to other home users as well. Chrome is a good close second, though.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Firefox

reasons:
add-ons, stability, security, themes. I couldnt live with adblock, flashblock, foxtab, the streaming video downloader add-on who's name i cant remember, and all the other add-ons that i've become so accustomed to over the years i take them for granted.

That and, even if other browsers are somehow "faster", when you're d/ling the content of pages at 2-3MB/s, it would probably be an unnoticeable, milliseconds difference. Honestly, i cant remember the last time i had to sit and wait for a page to load, at least w/o it being due to a delay on the sites end.

bunda3

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I love Chrome, but have to use IE when Chrome starts to act up. Right now it's not working with sending Yahoo emails... next week that will probably be fixed and then it won't work with another site I use a lot... BUT, I love Chrome, it shows large thumbnails of your most visited sites, and it's not overloaded with unnecessary-ness.... It's intuitive, which seems to be so hard for programmers to offer to consumers.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Opera 10 - Its clean, fast and as excellent features. The tabs are "connected" to the browser with the address bar where it belongs.

Not the mess that IE 7~8 is... its amazing how MS created the worlds messiest "pretty button" browser in the world. IE7 helped me to try out FF2.0 and Opera 9 and I went with Opera 9 instantly.

Currently, Opera10 is in beta, but it can be DL easily enough.

G

Mozilla's SeaMonkey because of the mail client built in.
It is like Netscape used to be years ago.

paul9181

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I only use IE for sites written specifically for it. I use chrome for general surfing, because of the speed and it has a built in task manager (not windows task manager). This task manager manages your tabs and allows you to close a tab when it locks up (IE NEEDS this) without having to restart the browser like Firefox. Firefox is what I use as a web applications developer because of its helpful plugins (looking at css, ajax communications, etc.).

jeffredo

Distinguished
Firefox 3.5. I've tried Opera, Chrome, Safari and IE8. I keep gravitating back to Firefox because it just works better in general. There are some individual things the other browers may do better, but overall Firefox is the best total package.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
FireFox.

The only addon I use is AddBlocker, nothing else.
I customized it to be as clean as possible. I used to just hit F11 always while browsing, but after removing... everything... it's very clean. I have found I do prefer a gutted version. I do NOT want to see a browsers UI, I just want to see my site (hence always hitting F11).

All I see is the top with aero and my close/min/max, and the basic file/view etc. with the address bar nudged in with them. I have the tab bar shut off unless multiple tabs are present. I also keep the bottom bar on just for easy link information whenever I mouse over. Then there's the taskbar, which in Win7 build 7100 and higher is smaller and cleaner than build 7099 and lower. In total with both the top and bottom, I lose a inch and a half on my 17 inch (5:4) screen.

Overall, for those who want a cleaner browser, just hit F11 for fullscreen viewing. Very useful on IE because the top bars clutter a lot of space.

I understand Chrome meets me needs (anorexic browser still works for all/most modern content), but it just hasn't attracted me.

I have tried Opera and Chrome (1.x only), but neither of them had I attracted my instant love as I did for FireFox. IE is too cluttered for me. I only use Safari when I'm on a Maxintosh, and it will stay that way.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
Chrome and ie7. chrome for default surfing, and ie7 to pay the bills... :p
Chrome is faster, way faster, and the thing about dragging the tabs however you want to, in and out of the first window, is just great. :)

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Firefox because it just fits in the middle. IE is too insecure and (ironically) buggy. Opera is bulky out of the box, Chrome is too idiot-proof, and Safari won't let me turn off smooth-scrolling (GOD I hate that!).

So, until other browsers offer the same customizable experience in a lightweight, secure fashion... Firefox is what I'll use.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Firefox because it just fits in the middle. IE is too insecure and (ironically) buggy. Opera is bulky out of the box, Chrome is too idiot-proof, and Safari won't let me turn off smooth-scrolling (GOD I hate that!).

So, until other browsers offer the same customizable experience in a lightweight, secure fashion... Firefox is what I'll use.

shneakie

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
FF 3.5 has such an edge in extensibility when compared to other other browsers, but for some raw speed I run the nightly build of Chrome 3 (it's just so much faster than anything out there).

If it wasn't for some of small bugs in C3 I would use it as my main browser.

dan555smith

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I use Chrome 2 on my primary work machine for all things Internet. Chrome is the only browser you can pull a tab out for it's own window. Love that. Only real problem is that every tab you open uses its own process and memory. I have to use IE 8 for some work items and I like it okay. FF is just okay for me.

G

Opera, on my PC and phone. I change desktop frequently, and its synchronizing feature help me alot to keep my profile. It's also the easiest browser I've ever used.

G

Opera -- because of the ability to open tabs, go forward and backward in browsing history, etc all through mouse action.

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Opera at home and on my workstation at work... Firefox used on all computers at work.
IE only when websites don't work correctly.. like ticket master not showing any links for buying tickets...

Status
Not open for further replies.