QOTD: Which Browser Do You Use? Why?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Firefox on PCs, IE8 for my mom (she can't understand why I use Firefox, oh well).. Skyfire on the phone..

Firefox with CoolIris + Chatzilla + XMarks + Download Statusbar..

G

Firefox at work because they won't let us install Chrome. Mostly Chrome at home because I love the page isolation (protection by virtualization) and speed. Firefox 3.5 may be just as fast as Chrome thought. It definitely feels fast! I also use Firefox if something doesn't work in Chrome but that's pretty rare now. I use Opera on my phone (WinMo 6.1). It's slow but has great rendering. I don't have the latest version which is supposed to be faster. I don't like any IE. IE 8 has gotten much better but I don't like the interface (it feels wasteful and uncustomizable). There is just nothing special about it to me.

jroussin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I love Chrome. I've used all the big browsers out there and Chrome just fits for me. I love the way the tabs work, when I open up a new browser it gives me thumbnails of my most visited sites, and it runs smooth!

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Safari 4 on PC and Mac... So fast and clean + Mac Safari plug-ins like Glimmer and Adblock and Glims remove all the trash bad URL's and add useful features. Safari Anti-phishing is brilliant and in yer face.

libraryeli

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Opera on all machines, work and home. Firefox or IE only if I find a site that doesn't like Opera, which isn't too often.

Opera's lighter, more stremalined, and faster. To me it's like Opera is the Corvette with no extra factory options, whereas Firefox and IE are like one of those big, bloated, luxury speedsters from BMW or Mercedes. If all I want to do is go fast, I get the Vette. Opera just makes browsing go smoother & less complicated to me. And I have no need of noscript or anything like that since I'm on Ubuntu most of the time.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
As of today Firefox 3.5... and a long-time user of AdBlock Plus.

The FF 3.5 download was 10 MB and the installation didn't require a reboot. Microsoft could definitely learn from this.

estebanhillcoat

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Skyfire on the phone (has flash playback!!!!!!) and obviously FIREFOX on desktop XP, Linux and mac terminals.

Why do you people of Toms hardware make such a push to IE8?

Anyone with a little knowledge would NEVER install IE

igneshto

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Firefox... all those Add-Ons are great! Gmail notifier... Facebook Boost... Greasemonkey.... Youtube Stop... AdBlockPlus... All soooo neccesary!

igneshto

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Firefox... all those Add-Ons are great! Gmail notifier... Facebook Boost... Greasemonkey.... Youtube Stop... AdBlockPlus... All soooo neccesary!

mckinnm

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I generally use the latest version of IE, for several reasons, and switch to Firefox if I run into a webpage that's giving me trouble. The reality is that IE is usually the easiest to use (assuming that you're running Windows), plus I'm used to it. Also, several of our applications at work are written for IE and don't work as well with any other browser. I've encountered some sites specifically written to fail with IE, which I think is counter-productive, to put it kindly. I don't hesitate to recommend Firefox to anyone, especially for Mac users, and haven't ever had serious problems with it, but there are some sites and individual pages which it chokes on - no browser yet works with everything that's out there. Safari sucks, pure and simple. I've yet to find anything that it does well. Haven't tried Chrome, but it sounds promising - I'll probably wait a little while longer though. I'm aware of a few of the other browsers, but haven't been interested enough to try any of them.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Chrome on slower laptops and sub 1GHz desktops. Firefox for general use. Opera when the system is virus infected/corrupted, and IE8 for last resort.
I don't think Safari offers me much value. I think Firefox has been getting a bit bloated of late. Chrome is a little too stripped down. Opera takes too long to load compared to the other browsers.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
firefox on my windows machine
firefox on my mac because safari 4.0 update killed just about every page I went to. about .3 fps on moving images/videos

G

Chrome is first pick: it's fast and lightweight, and the minimalist controls give me maximum screen real estate. And the whole tabs-run-as-seperate-processes thing has saved me many times from crashing the entire browser. (Firefox's extensions are pointless for me, and so Chrome's lack thereof does not affect me.)

Firefox is the backup for those stubborn websites that insist you use IE or FF.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Firefox 3.5 now that it's out (I need my browser to be fully stable). I chose it first for security (when I first understood the weaknesses of IE - version 5 or 6 I think). I stay with it because it keeps improving, I am used to how it works and the add-ons make it more useful.

I tried Safari on a PC and didn't like it because I kept comparing it to how well it works on the Mac (my wife's computer). Tried the first iteration of Chrome and it didn't capture my imagination. Maybe I should take a second look.

G

I was a IE user since IE5. It suits all my need. In fact I will not need to bother to try other browser. UNTIL IE8. IE7 was a great improvement over 6. 8 is pretty good. IT suit my surfing style.

I'm a hard core surfer. I tends to open multiple windows for all the links and webpage. CAn go as high as 30 different windows. When IE7 is out, I utilised the multi browsing tabs. IE8 was better. it even have "address tabs"

BUT. For some reason, it is not stable. After using it for a few months, some of the tabs or windows you open while browsing kinda hangs. It just stop loading/unable to load url and etc. Initially though maybe my windows config is screw up. Reformated my PC. Install all updates.
Problems still persist even when it's just freshly installed.
Imagine following some links from certain wbepages, After open 30 links into different tabs and windows. On 5 out of 30 works. The rest just hangs/stop loading.

After trying firefox. I'm stuck to firefox. I just fall in love with it.
Like the speed, way faster than IE8. More stable, super customisable.

Right now I'm using firefox. Although I like the layout of IE8. What I did now is load all the plugs-in and arrange it to look and feels like IE8.

Unless IE 8 can be as fast, stable and used liitle memory like firefox. I don't think I will be using IE anytime soon

G

Chromium 3.0.190 because of speed and usability.
Firefox 3.5 for development with AdBlock. No spywayre/malware for the last 3 years even WITHOUT noscript.

Status
Not open for further replies.