I have a Compaq Presario with WinXP sp2.

When I ran the PC-Doctor to check the floppy disk drive, I got a Result as
under:

Surface scan test failed. Code: FD529-4

The Product Version is 1.05.017 and the Floppy Drive Version is 4.2.80.1085.

What can be done to make the FDD work in the NEW Presario?!
Thanks in advance
Capt K Ripendran

In article <et#XgqQsFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in says...
> I have a Compaq Presario with WinXP sp2.
>
> When I ran the PC-Doctor to check the floppy disk drive, I got a Result as
> under:
>
> Surface scan test failed. Code: FD529-4
>
> The Product Version is 1.05.017 and the Floppy Drive Version is 4.2.80.1085.
>
> What can be done to make the FDD work in the NEW Presario?!
> Thanks in advance
> Capt K Ripendran

Try a NEW Floppy diskette in the drive and see if it does the same
thing.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Yes, it does. In fact I used the same floppy in my OLD Presario which has
Win95 and here it shows the Used and Free space clearly! So, do I need to
reinstall the Driver for FDD or is there something that should be done. Of
course, it is still under warranty (on-site) and I can always call a HP
Techie but, I prefer to do it myself- if possible!

In article <eOS4ORUsFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in says...
> Yes, it does. In fact I used the same floppy in my OLD Presario which has
> Win95 and here it shows the Used and Free space clearly! So, do I need to
> reinstall the Driver for FDD or is there something that should be done. Of
> course, it is still under warranty (on-site) and I can always call a HP
> Techie but, I prefer to do it myself- if possible!

You don't need a driver for a FDD unless it's one of those USB removable
types. I've got dozens of FDD that range from brand-new to 10 years old
that all work just find in any machine without needing any driver.

If a New diskette does the same thing as the old one, can you "Format"
any disks and then write to them? It could be an issue with the "PC-
Doctor" program and that system (not the FDD)...

If all else fails, the FDD could be defective.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

The Device Manager shows both a FD Controller as well as a FD Driver. I
reinstalled both but it was of no use.
You are right. It doesn't format either!
Perhaps there is a loose connection OR the FDD is faulty!