Question Question about 2.4 and 5 GHz on a new router

Sep 29, 2022
Hey there everyone

I recently got a dual-band WiFi TP Link AX3000/AX53 router.

To save money and speed up my upload, I changed from Telstra to Exetel.

The mesh TP Link RE200 wifi extender has also been configured.

However, when my iPhone XR is connected to 5GHz, some websites won't load at all, and streaming services will stop and then never restart. Everything else appears to be operating as it should.

My phone has a strong 3 bar 5Ghz wifi signal.

It seems to be much quicker and more stable if I move to 2.4 GHz. Tests of speed reveal little variation between the two.

In order for my phone to connect to 2.4 GHz, I turned off Smart Connect.

Do you sometimes anticipate this? Dual band routers are new to me. I don't know if my previous router, a Telstra Gen2 smart modem, was dual band or not because I never updated its settings.

Only two of the approximately 13 connected devices are hardwired. Only mine is on at this time because it is 3am.

I only made one other alteration, which was to connect a Cat6 cable to the WAN port on the router and the NBN box. I've previously used Cat5e because I'd heard they were superior.

Is everything I did correct? There could be something I didn't configure.

thanks from community of pub tv

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
5g is a faster signal but the range is much shorter. if you are getting a better more stable connection with the 2.4 ghz no reason to fight with the 5 ghz side of it. especially if the speed stays the same.

i've seen this a couple times and have a laptop that does the same thing. i just connect that to the 2.4 side and don't worry about it :)

I would first turn off the repeater and connect in the same room as the route to see what you best possible numbers are.

If you still have issues on the 5g band it could be that you have a lot of interference from neighbors wifi. You could attempt to change the channel.

In general you should not use any form of repeater unless you have no other option. Repeaters in general greatly reduce the transfer speeds. You should only really use them when even a slow repeated signal is better than no signal at all. Many times a low power signal to the main router can be faster than very strong one run through a repeater.

In addition the repeater you have is very old and was a low end model even when it was new. It does not support very high data rates. I am not recommending you replace the repeater unless you have no other options. I would first consider MoCA or maybe powerline devices to extend the network to the remote room. Maybe just moving the repeater will help, it need to get a strong signal from the main router and still send it to the remote room. Many people place it in the remote room and find that the repeater gets the same crappy signal from the main router as end device did and then attempt to repeat it making it even worse.