[SOLVED] Question about core voltage of i7-10700KF and RAM XMP profile ?

Jul 18, 2021
Hello to all of you,

I just installed the i7-10700KF (MB is B560 Prime Plus). I did not play with anything in the BIOS and I see this number:

2n36ij8potb71.png

I think the CPU cover core voltage is too much, should I set an offset to like -0,05 or -0,1 V (for better lifespan and temperatures)? I think the automatic mode giving too much of voltage.

And the second question is about the XMP profile. I have VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14 and I tried enable the XMP profile. 1.0 and 2.0 too, but both are causing BSOD. What am I doing wrong?

Solution
Looking at the VRM, and in particular the memory side, it isn't super robust.

If the memory is 2400 and you don't enable XMP, what is it booting? 2133?
I would probably suggest simply trying to do manual timing on it. Even if you can't get it dialed in, if it's running 2133 at cl14 that is still pretty decent and unlikely to even be able to tell a difference outside synthetic benchmarks.

What manner of power supply is on this system? Video card?
A -50 mV to -100 mV offset voltage is a good place to start testing for stability. Most Intel CPUs at default settings use about 100 mV more voltage than they need to. Work on the CPU voltage first and get that stable.

Is your memory on the qualified vendor's list for your motherboard? You might have to manually adjust the voltage to 1.35V or a little beyond to get this memory stable on this board.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

I would probably suggest simply trying to do manual timing on it. Even if you can't get it dialed in, if it's running 2133 at cl14 that is still pretty decent and unlikely to even be able to tell a difference outside synthetic benchmarks.

Solution
Jul 18, 2021
A -50 mV to -100 mV offset voltage is a good place to start testing for stability. Most Intel CPUs at default settings use about 100 mV more voltage than they need to. Work on the CPU voltage first and get that stable.

Is your memory on the qualified vendor's list for your motherboard? You might have to manually adjust the voltage to 1.35V or a little beyond to get this memory stable on this board.
Right now I am at -50mV offset. I have tried switch the speed of RAMs manually to 2400 MHz too (nothing else changed so still at 1.2 V). Everything seems stable for now. My RAMs are not in the qualified vendor's list, but I have MB from 2020 and RAMs from 2015.

If I don't enable the XMP then the memory are on 2133. CL16? I guess. I switch the speed manually to 2400 MHz, do I need change some other stuff too? Like CL timing? On website where I bought them few years ago it says : 4x8GB, PC4-19200, CL14-16-16-31, napětí 1.2V, XMP 2.0 .

Power supply is Corsair RM650x and GPU is GTX 1080.

Thank you guys for helping me.