Question About Fans And Available MoBo Sysfan Connectors

WhenRAR

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
So recently, I purchased a new MoBo (MSI 970a-G46) along with the new chassis that I had bought as well (Rosewill Challenger). The case has three fans pre-installed on the top of the case, the upper back, and the lower front, however the MoBo that I have only has a 4-pin connector for my CPU fan, and two 3-pin connectors for case fans. I come to you all with a question that probably has a painfully simple answer: How do I get all three case fans running with only two connectors on my board.

Useful information:
Yes, all three fans are 3-pin
Two of the fans have 4-pin molex cables as well as 3-pin sysfan connectors

Thanks in advance.

-A Noob

Solution
They produce a 3-pin fan splitter cable to run 2 fans off one MB header. But I would not recommend that solution for a couple reasons. 1) The MB fan circuit at the header isn't usually designed to carry the load of more than 1 fan. 2) It may cause problems with the BIOS fan speed control by having 2 DC motors connected in parallel.

A better solution would be to either connect one of the fans directly to any Molex connector from the PSU... or to use a discrete fan controller.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
They produce a 3-pin fan splitter cable to run 2 fans off one MB header. But I would not recommend that solution for a couple reasons. 1) The MB fan circuit at the header isn't usually designed to carry the load of more than 1 fan. 2) It may cause problems with the BIOS fan speed control by having 2 DC motors connected in parallel.

A better solution would be to either connect one of the fans directly to any Molex connector from the PSU... or to use a discrete fan controller.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS