Question Question about M.2 Rubber Pads on Asus PrimeZ690-P D4 Mobo

malachiv

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Hi everyone, sorry in advance on double-posting this on the mobo and storage threads, kind of falls into both categories.

I've been finding some conflicting answers concerning my question, so I figured I'd add the experts here whom I trust. I have an Asus Prime Z690-P D4 mobo, and two Samsung 980 Pro M.2 hard drives (one with heatsink). At the point of installing these hard drives, I read in the mobo manual about the extra rubber pad to add to the existing rubber pad on the mobo for single sided M.2 drives (both my drives are single sided). For clarification: these ARE NOT thermal pads, but they appear to be more support pads. And out of the 3 M.2 slots available on the mobo, only 2 have said rubber pads. Additionally, the mobo manual makes a note that the M.2 heatsink that comes with the mobo can only be used on the two slots that have the rubber pads; not sure if that is a factor.

My question is: How necessary is it to make use of these rubber pads?

malachiv

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Hi everyone, sorry in advance on double-posting this on the mobo and storage threads, kind of falls into both categories.

I've been finding some conflicting answers concerning my question, so I figured I'd add the experts here whom I trust. I have an Asus Prime Z690-P D4 mobo, and two Samsung 980 Pro M.2 hard drives (one with heatsink). At the point of installing these hard drives, I read in the mobo manual about the extra rubber pad to add to the existing rubber pad on the mobo for single sided M.2 drives (both my drives are single sided). For clarification: these ARE NOT thermal pads, but they appear to be more support pads. And out of the 3 M.2 slots available on the mobo, only 2 have said rubber pads. Additionally, the mobo manual makes a note that the M.2 heatsink that comes with the mobo can only be used on the two slots that have the rubber pads; not sure if that is a factor.

My question is: How necessary is it to make use of these rubber pads?