[SOLVED] Question about migrating OS

MrKerix

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Hello,
I have recently bought an m.2 SSD (replacement for the old HDD) for my notebook to finally make it usable.
I want to migrate the OS (W10 Home), but I cant find information about the transfer as a whole.
Will the migration copy all SYSTEM RELATED FILES to the SSD or ALL FILES to the SSD?
Any answer will be appreciated

Solution
Will the migration copy all SYSTEM RELATED FILES to the SSD or ALL FILES to the SSD?
All files.
Cloned drive becomes identical copy of source drive. That's why it's called CLONE.
So SSD must have enough capacity to hold all the data from HDD.

Also this depends on, how your hdd is partitioned.
If OS is partitioned separately from user data, then it may be possible to clone just OS partition. But usually this is not the case.
All files.
Cloned drive becomes identical copy of source drive. That's why it's called CLONE.
So SSD must have enough capacity to hold all the data from HDD.

If OS is partitioned separately from user data, then it may be possible to clone just OS partition. But usually this is not the case.

Reactions: MrKerix
Solution

MrKerix

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
All files.

Damn it, I doubt I have it partitioned like that.

Thanks for the answer I'll prolly be off with a new OS.

MrKerix

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Then obviously a bigger capacity SSD is needed for cloning to be possible - 500GB that is.
I have figured that out.
The question was if its possible just to clone the OS required files and not all of the files.
But a new question arises.
What should I do to the old OS on the HDD?
I do not want to format my HDD completely.

USAFRet

Titan
Installed games and movies because downloading with my internet is a nightmare.
I do have some large USBs but not for all the games and movies I have.
Games, if they are from one of the main platforms like Steam, are probably OK.
You need to be careful of what folders you 'delete' from the old OS isntall.
These games will be subfolders of the ProgramFiles(x86).

You'll have to tell the NEW steam client you install with the new OS where these things live.

Movies are fine.
If they live in one of the User "Library" folders, you'll have to delve into Take Ownership. Those Libraries belong to the old user.

Reactions: MrKerix