Question about Mouse and MousePad

sarah

Hi,

I got some stains on my mousepad and so I removed it from my desk to clean
it.

While it was drying, I needed to use my computer, and therefore used the
mouse without the pad. I actually found there to be no difference rolling
the mouse across the wooden desktop and, I might say, even a bit more
comfortable and efficient.

My question, therefore, is are mousepads really necessary anymore on
surfaces that permit the mouse to be functional? And am I doing any damage
to the mouseball in the process? By the way, the mouse is a Microsoft
Intellimouse 1.1A.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice!

Sarah

peter

Hi,

You can use your mouse on any clean and smooth surface other than glass surface (not for optical mouse) but a good mouse pad is definitely helpful for moving the mouse pointer quickly and precisely.

----- Sarah wrote: -----

Hi,

I got some stains on my mousepad and so I removed it from my desk to clean
it.

While it was drying, I needed to use my computer, and therefore used the
mouse without the pad. I actually found there to be no difference rolling
the mouse across the wooden desktop and, I might say, even a bit more
comfortable and efficient.

My question, therefore, is are mousepads really necessary anymore on
surfaces that permit the mouse to be functional? And am I doing any damage
to the mouseball in the process? By the way, the mouse is a Microsoft
Intellimouse 1.1A.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice!

Sarah

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

use your mouse on the desk if you see a better performance. All mousepads
are not created equal. There are some good quaility ones that work very
well.
Make sure your next mouse is an optical one (but not a wireless one because
I have seen that they are more trouble than they are worth.

"Sarah" <sarah@mynews.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I got some stains on my mousepad and so I removed it from my desk to clean
> it.
>
> While it was drying, I needed to use my computer, and therefore used the
> mouse without the pad. I actually found there to be no difference rolling
> the mouse across the wooden desktop and, I might say, even a bit more
> comfortable and efficient.
>
> My question, therefore, is are mousepads really necessary anymore on
> surfaces that permit the mouse to be functional? And am I doing any damage
> to the mouseball in the process? By the way, the mouse is a Microsoft
> Intellimouse 1.1A.
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice!
>
> Sarah

On a slick top, such as glass or Formica. the rubber
mouseball will tend to slide. The mouse pad is just a
friction surface for the ball that still allows you to move
the mouse base around easily. Optical mice need a surface
that has a simple pattern at the optical level that is not
too shiny so glass and polished metal are not good.

You can buy replacement mouse balls from www.cyberguys.com