Question about moving Windows 8 retail key upgraded to Windows 10 to a new motherboard and SSD

zekester10

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2013
I'm upgrading my PC this week with a new processor, motherboard and ssd. How would I go about installing windows 10 to the ssd? From searching I understand that you can just install windows 8 then upgrade again to windows 10.

My question is how does that work exactly? Do I have to deactivate the key in windows 10 before installing windows 8 to the ssd? Or can i just go ahead and install windows 8 on the ssd then upgrade?

I used a retail windows 8 to upgrade to windows 10.

Solution
First, I'd do a clean install of windows 10 as follows (And by the way, there is no way to "deactivate" the windows 10 key after 30 days and return to use of windows 8) and skip the options to use a product key during the installation process.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/perform-clean-install-windows-upgrading.html

Or if you already have installation media for Windows 10 you can skip straight to doing this:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

After the installation and after you've installed the necessary drivers to access the internet, go to the activation settings and see if it activated, which it probably didn't. If it didn't, you can open a run or search dialog and type in

slui...
First, I'd do a clean install of windows 10 as follows (And by the way, there is no way to "deactivate" the windows 10 key after 30 days and return to use of windows 8) and skip the options to use a product key during the installation process.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/perform-clean-install-windows-upgrading.html

Or if you already have installation media for Windows 10 you can skip straight to doing this:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

After the installation and after you've installed the necessary drivers to access the internet, go to the activation settings and see if it activated, which it probably didn't. If it didn't, you can open a run or search dialog and type in

slui 3

Exactly like that, then hit enter. Next, enter the retail product key from your Windows 8 retail edition. See if it activates like that. It might, it might not. About half the time this works fine with retail Windows 8 keys after installing Windows 10 and changing motherboards.

If it does not work, you will need to contact Microsoft's help desk via chat or phone, and explain to them that you've had a motherboard failure after upgrading your retail Windows 8 product to Windows 10 so that they can assist you with refreshing the activation status of your product key and new bios ID string.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/windows/activation/

Solution
Hey there, zekester10!

Since you will be upgrading the motherboard and CPU, you will need a new genuine Windows installation. You won't be able to use the old one with the same activation code/retail key because it is tied to the motherboard where it was originally installed. For more details on this, contact MS Support for assistance.

You might be able to use the same activation code only if the new motherboard is an identical model from the same manufacturer.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Nah, that's not true. The retail license agreement for Windows 8 clearly specifies that it can be moved to another computer, but only be in use on one computer at a time. This agreement for retail licenses is carried to systems upgraded from Retail Windows 8 to windows 10. I've used this exact procedure on over thirty systems, so far, that have had a need for a motherboard change after the Windows 10 upgrade or as a clean install using the Windows 8 product key to perform a clean install of Windows 10 on an entirely different system than the one Windows 8 was installed on including new motherboard, drives and platform.

Sorry SuperSoph, gonna have to disagree with you on this one, and we have an extensive moderator discussion on this that further backs up my assertions.

In fact, the system I'm writing this from is one such system. It was originally an FX-8320 system with Windows 8.1 on a Sabertooth motherboard. After building the new system, which is an Intel 6700k/Z170 platform, I performed a clean install of Windows 10, used the slui 3 method with my Retail windows 8 product key, no problem at all.

For OEM licenses, you would be correct however as they have no provision for transfer to another system at any time.

Duh, sorry about that!
Of course, it's a RETAIL product key! I second you, @darkbreeze! My bad, feeling sleepy all day.
Disregard my comment, @zekester10!
However, make sure you perform full backup of your current system and files somewhere off-site before the upgrade. Keeping your files safe and sound on several storage devices is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss.

Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD

zekester10

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2013
Hey guys just checking back in. I was able to activate windows 10 with a windows 8 pro retail key. I just followed the clean install instructions that darkbreeze linked above.

The way it worked for me was to choose to activate windows later while installing it then after the installation finished, I simply clicked on activate windows from the settings then entered the key that came with the windows 8 pro box.