Question about my 8700k overclocks vs lifespan

rcxx23

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Hello guys, i found 3 stable oc's on my dellided 8700k. Load line calibration set high on all overclocks, im using gigabyte z370 aorus ultra MB and yes im fixed vrm heatting issue to this mb completely, cache ratio is x44=4.4hz on all ocs. 1st 1.285v 5hz core, 2nd 1.340vcore 5.1hz, 3rd 1.395vcore 5.2hz. So my question is what overclock to use for me is best? I can keep my cpu in any scenario under 65c and im planning to keep this cpu atleast 4-5years, so wich overclock would be best for me 24/7? And if that matters im using this pc just for gaming on 4K resoliution, and i tested 4.3hz vs 5.3hz cpu gives me 0fps impact on performance, but i brought K chip and messed with delliding so i want to keep it overclocked to its max anyways. Sorry for bad eng :D

If you get no performance gain from 4.3 to 5.3 then why put your cpu under the extra stress of the OC. Your also putting your MB under stress as well because your feeding more voltage to the CPU when its OC'd.

My 8700k can do 5.1Ghz but is severely handy capped by my 980sc that is running dual 4k monitors so it just runs at stock speeds. Maybe once i get one of the new Nvidia cards coming out soon i'll see what the cpu is doing and then maybe OC it.

Are you doing anything where the extra performance is needed? If your limitations are elsewhere then overclocking the cpu won’t help. Going from 5.0 to 5.1 is a 2% increase in clock speed so that is the maximum possible gain you could achieve if evething scales perfectly.

Overclocking may be more useful to you in a few years time where extra cpu performance is required.

However as long as temperatures and voltages are kept sensible I’d expect any cpu to last 10 years plus, never actually seen a failed cpu.

rcxx23

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
I just gaming with that pc and thats it, i have gigabyte 1080ti aorus extreme 11G and i watercooled/modded bios and insanely overclocked, ram is 3200mhz cl16, samsung pro nvme. so i dont think i have any limitations in my rig for that cpu.

rcxx23

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Yea no performance gain at all from 4.3 to 5.3 at 1.465v(just for testing) but you know i dellided it( opened with knife from local store :D) so i messed with all that dellid and liquid metal and this chip is K so i think no reason to not overclock it when i can stay at any stress test under 65c even at 1.4v, gaming temps are between 45-55c.

rcxx23

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Cant choose from 5.1 and 5.2hz, i need that cpu last only 4-6years, after that i 110% will replace it, if it will last that time at 1.4v then 5.2 is way to go for me, but im not sure if it isnt to much, thats why im asking guys

rcxx23

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
i will run that 5.2hz 1.380v, i think it will survive 5y, after that i will replace it anyways.

Why ask for advice if you have no intentions of using it for the longevity of your CPU?

But it is your hardware and your money so go for it and hopefully you won't end up 6 months from now being the one asking what's gone wrong with my setup?

Good Luck to You!