[SOLVED] Question about NTFS file system ?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I will use Windows 10 to format the flash drives.. so I thought of putting the thread here.

anyway, on to the question. Today I'm backing up some large game files into flash drives. Have read on google that to save files over 4GB in size, the file system need to be NTFS.

now, assuming I've formatted the flash drive into NTFS, and saved the files into it. Would the file work fine when I copy it into a pc with a FAT file system?

This is the first time I would be doing this. So just want to be sure.

Solution
The 4GB limitation of FAT32 is the same whether it's on a USB flash drive or on a PC internal drive. You will not be able to copy the large files back to your FAT PC in a simple copy process..

Just to be sure we're on the same page, are the "large game files" currently in your PC as single large (over 4GB) files or is it just that the total size is over 4GB? If it's the latter, there won't be a problem. You can use a FAT32 flash drive too. The 4GB limit applies only to individual files.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The 4GB limitation of FAT32 is the same whether it's on a USB flash drive or on a PC internal drive. You will not be able to copy the large files back to your FAT PC in a simple copy process..

Just to be sure we're on the same page, are the "large game files" currently in your PC as single large (over 4GB) files or is it just that the total size is over 4GB? If it's the latter, there won't be a problem. You can use a FAT32 flash drive too. The 4GB limit applies only to individual files.

Reactions: Tac 25
Solution