[SOLVED] Question about Seagate external hard drive warranty

Feb 23, 2020
I have a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB external drive that recently stopped working. A lot of solutions online suggest that it could be a problem with the USB controller. I want to take it out of the enclosure and connect it via SATA to my PC. But, the drive is still under the warranty period. I tried popping off the top part, and it came out no problem whatsoever. There were no seals or anything on it. The hard drive itself (a Seagate Barracuda) and the USB controller are covered in some sort of foil tape.

I'll have to take off this foil to remove the controller and access the hard drive. Will I void my warranty if I peel off this tape? I checked the Seagate warranty conditions and it doesn't say anything about the tape. Or did I already void my warranty by opening the enclosure?

Solution
You technically already voided the warranty, but what is more important to you, the data or getting a replacement drive?
"This limited warranty is void if a product is returned with removed, damaged or tampered labels or any alterations (including the unauthorized removal of any component or external cover)"
https://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/channel-limited-warranty/

If the cost of a new drive is important, stop and try and get it replaced.
If the data is important, try to recover it your own way or pay for data recovery, seagate wont warranty a drive and preserve data.
You technically already voided the warranty, but what is more important to you, the data or getting a replacement drive?
"This limited warranty is void if a product is returned with removed, damaged or tampered labels or any alterations (including the unauthorized removal of any component or external cover)"
https://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/channel-limited-warranty/

If the cost of a new drive is important, stop and try and get it replaced.
If the data is important, try to recover it your own way or pay for data recovery, seagate wont warranty a drive and preserve data.

Solution