Question Question about switching from Ryzen 5950x to a 5800X3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2022
Hi,

I'm no computer wizard, so this could be a plain stupid question. My current 5950x is paired with a 3090RTX
I mainly play MFS2020 in VR with a Reverb g2, and planning to invest in a 40-series in a few months.
Since the 5800X3D is quite cheap now, during Black Friday, could it be an advantage to buy one and swap with my current CPU?

Thanx!

Nov 26, 2022
You have the best cpu now for the best of both worlds of gaming and workload. Be very happy you have the 5950x and do not worry you left something on the table for gaming. There would be no omg moment with the switch other than omg I should have stayed with the 5950x.;)

Thanks m8!
That's very clear. We'll stay with what we have than 🆒

Nov 26, 2022
Thanks all for the great advice.
I think I'll wait for the next-gen X3D variant the. Seems to make more sense.
10% doesn't do the switch enough justice, also since I use the rig for Blender, After Effects & Unreal.

That's only case for few games...
Exactly..as I said, high fps/high refresh, low resolution, low settings games. e-sports type gaming where the players are looking for any kind of edge.

At the other extreme, triple-a type games where lushly rendered realistic scenery played at high resolution, increasingly including ray tracing, will depend almost entirely on the GPU to the point most any modern CPU will suffice.

This might make sense. The 5800x3D is the better gamer. If you are only gaming you can probably sell your 5950x and cover the cost of a 5800x3D. Therefore improving gaming performance at no cost. It’s not going to be a big difference but why not have extra performance for no cost.

Looks like a 10% improvement in MSFS2020
View: https://youtu.be/BiHV6D2IZQg
So you are going to spend $1100 just to get 5 more fps on one game? And hope you sell the 5950x?

So you are going to spend $1100 just to get 5 more fps on one game? And hope you sell the 5950x?
Clearly missed the point. If only gaming the 5800x3D is the better cpu. Its a straight swap and can cover the cost by selling the existing cpu, effectively a 10% increase for no cost and a little effort. Here, have a free 10% boost.

However, as this system is used for other work that benefits from the 5950x then on balance it doesn't make sense.

Clearly missed the point. If only gaming the 5800x3D is the better cpu. Its a straight swap and can cover the cost by selling the existing cpu, effectively a 10% increase for no cost and a little effort. Here, have a free 10% boost.

However, as this system is used for other work that benefits from the 5950x then on balance it doesn't make sense.

I don't think it even makes sense for gaming. Yes, I know the 3D chip delivers more FPS. But at the end of the day, is that cost worth it for what the human eye can see? No, not at all. Worth it for higher benchmark numbers? Well if that's your thing, then one would have to weigh up again whether that's worth the cost.

Just my opinion, but given my point about what the human eye can actually see, it's really not worth it even for gaming. If it was worth it for what it cost, I'd have done it already. But looking at the numbers, to me no way was it worth it to go to the 3D chip from this one. And this one of mine is a lesser chip than the OP's.

I didn't miss any point. Switching from a 5950x to a 5800x3d is not going to give you an omg moment . The performance is going to be the same.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Status
Not open for further replies.