[SOLVED] Question about VA panels.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
My question is simple.
I can't find much anywhere about this, but maybe my Google Fu just isn't good enough today.

But simply put, I know from experience that when you turn a TN panel sideways, it get's weird looking and hard to read text on.

And when you turn an IPS panel sideways everything is just fine.

But what about a VA panel?

What happens then?

I need to know because it will determine if I will buy two VA panels or end up having to spend a good chunk of change more for two IPS panels instead.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

VA are better than TN but still can't beat IPS for wide angle viewing BUT... the brightest screens seem to be of the VA kind.

Personally, I think people jump to IPS because they hear IPS is best but don't find out for themselves the pros and cons. On my laptop, I don't want a wide viewing IPS, I rather have some privacy, unless I am doing a presentation and then if that's the case the office would/should have a big screen on the wall for me to use.

With a big screen TV, do u often have a 1/2 dozen or more family members watching? if so go IPS, but otherwise u may not need one. There are utube videos that talk about this, even if you have a IPS TV, do you want to watch TV sideways-like, looks weird, dimensionally-wise. Big family, go 100+ inch projector.

I use a VA monitor daily. The viewing angles and colors are MUCH better than any tn panel.

When i look at my va monitor at an angle, i dont really notice too much colors washing out. Not nearly as bad as any tn panel, but not quite ips level.

The IPS panel in my laptop looks better with improved colors, but the viewing angles are only slightly better to me.

After going to a IPS and VA panel I absolutely get annoyed with tn panels in laptops. I constantly find myself tilting the screen trying to find an angle not washed out. Never with my ips panel or va monitor.

I would be happy with either an ips or va panel as i only find minor differences.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
My question is not that subjective.
Not really.

I specifically said "It gets weird looking and hard to read text on" in regards to a TN panel.

what part about this, is all that subjective?

I'm not asking about how a VA panel stacks up to an IPS panel in terms of massive viewing angles.
I'm not asking about color accuracy or contrast ratios.

I just want to know if turning it sideways causes it to suffer from the same image distortion that makes it hard to look at and read text on as a TN panel does.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
so you would say overall that while not of course IPS, unlike TN it's definitely not a headache for the most part
From my experience with a VA monitor: No. Text is easy to read at off center angles.

But again, subjective. No 2 sets of eyes are the same.

Everything is clearer and not distorted like a tn. Its not quite as good as ips.
so you would say overall that (while obviously not an IPS) unlike a TN, it isn't a headache to look at.

My question is simple.
I can't find much anywhere about this, but maybe my Google Fu just isn't good enough today.

But simply put, I know from experience that when you turn a TN panel sideways, it get's weird looking and hard to read text on.

And when you turn an IPS panel sideways everything is just fine.

But what about a VA panel?

What happens then?

I need to know because it will determine if I will buy two VA panels or end up having to spend a good chunk of change more for two IPS panels instead.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

In the end MOST of it goes towards the quality of the monitor to begin with. You have to be extremely careful what you buy as there is a lot of junk on the market.

I have and use both TN and IPS 27" gaming monitors, both G-SYNC 1440P 165 Hz.

The IPS monitor definably has better colors and viewing angles, but both are equally sharp reading text etc.

All depends on what you buy in the end.

VA will never be as good as the TN or IPS as far as gaming monitors go however no matter what, it's old technology and slower than either TN or IPS.

The issue is the VA monitors are cheaper so it creates some debate as with anything cheaper. ;)

Last edited:
I agree. For gaming va isnt great, although i game hapily using va.
I would still much rather have va or ips over tn.

I have never seen a larger oled display in real life. I have saw like apple watches, but i wonder if how good oled would be for a monitor since they are just emerging.