Question Question if a 12v 0.3 amp fan can kill a motherboard cpu fan header

Aug 29, 2024
So, i recently installed a fan by thermalright a 93mm 4pin PWM fan with 12v and 0.3 amp after all is set plug my PC press the power button pc posted and flash a screen stating that i have a cpu fan erro the fan did not spin. thinking its must be a faulty fan i turn off my pc uninstall the new fan and reinstall the old stock fan that came from my tower cooler (ID cooling is the brand) but still the same the old fan that is working previously did not spin as well. Then i tried another fan a stock cooler from ryzen processor still not spinning and the question is can fan fry a header? Because i tested 2 fans that i know is working but now wont. And is ther any way i can solve this issue?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2024
Not the rating of the fan that would be the problem. Probably wired incorrectly or had a short of its own and shorted out the header which may have damaged it.
Hmmmm that might be the case but do you have any idea or turnaround in this issue im using my pc as a work station for school and i cant afford a new motheboard just to run a cpu fan

If you damaged the CPU fan header you are likely going to have to disable the bios option that checks for it. That to a point puts your system at risk since the machine want to be sure you have a fan on the cpu working.

If you do not have another fan header on the motherboard they make adapters that let you plug something like molex plug to the fan. It will run at full speed constantly

Reactions: LemongGrass
Aug 29, 2024
If you damaged the CPU fan header you are likely going to have to disable the bios option that checks for it. That to a point puts your system at risk since the machine want to be sure you have a fan on the cpu working.

If you do not have another fan header on the motherboard they make adapters that let you plug something like molex plug to the fan. It will run at full speed Constantly
Yah i dont have any headers left i actually did not know that the fan is faulty so i tried it as well on the cha_fan and the fan messed it as well (stupid fan).

So i guess my only option is the molex adapter huhu. I bought a fan that has PWM support but now im stuck with full fan speed

Aug 29, 2024
So a stupid question here, can i still use the faulty fan with the molex adapter to see if its woking or just return and request a refund?

If you do not have another fan header on the motherboard they make adapters that let you plug something like molex plug to the fan. It will run at full speed constantly

Depends on what you mean "working". The variable speed is what makes a fan more expensive. I guess if it does not run even on simple 12 volt power then it is defective. Not sure how you would test something like pwm

All depends on how refund works. Shipping costs on low value devices tend to make messing with stuff like this not worth it.

Reactions: LemongGrass
Aug 29, 2024
Depends on what you mean "working". The variable speed is what makes a fan more expensive. I guess if it does not run even on simple 12 volt power then it is defective. Not sure how you would test something like pwm

All depends on how refund works. Shipping costs on low value devices tend to make messing with stuff like this not worth it.
Well the online store i bought this fan have a item protection, basically if the item they shipped is faulty they them selves (or their courier) will pick the item through my door and send it back to the seller for free.

Aug 29, 2024
Thank for the reply you all i think ill just order the molex adapter and call it a fix for now ill just build another pc after i'v finished my college hahahaha