Question: Installing Same OS on to new SSD

shibbyshibby

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hello there,

I am currently using a SATA II HDD with Windows 7 64 bit installed on a one of the partitions, the other partition is used for data. The Windows 7 is an OEM version. I recently bought a new SSD and was wondering if I were to install the OS on that new SSD would there be any complications since the product key I have is already registered on the original hard disk? How would I reinstall the OS on to the new SSD?

Thanks

Solution
It's really simple. As long as you leave only one OEM version of windows 7 running you're okay.

If you want to run Windows 7 off your SSD. All you have to do is leave your SSD plugged in and NO other Hard Drives plugged.

Then, in your BIOS change your SATA controllers to ACHI. Run your boot option to CD-ROM and install Windows 7.

Power off computer and plug in your other HDD. Make sure your BOOT option is turned to hard drive (not CD ROM), and your BOOT PRIORITY is your SSD.

It should turn on and recognize your HDD. Your HDD will have all the windows folders and previous data on there. It may be called windows.old or something like that.
if you have an external hard drive, you can create a "System Image" on it using the "Backup and Restore" feature that's built in to Windows. You will also need to create a "System Repair Disc" using the same utility.

After you've done that, remove the hard drive from the PC and put the SSD in it's place. Now turn of your PC and boot it using the System Repair Disc. When the SRD has finished loading, use it to restore the system image from the external hard drive to the SSD.

fantastik250

Distinguished
It's really simple. As long as you leave only one OEM version of windows 7 running you're okay.

If you want to run Windows 7 off your SSD. All you have to do is leave your SSD plugged in and NO other Hard Drives plugged.

Then, in your BIOS change your SATA controllers to ACHI. Run your boot option to CD-ROM and install Windows 7.

Power off computer and plug in your other HDD. Make sure your BOOT option is turned to hard drive (not CD ROM), and your BOOT PRIORITY is your SSD.

It should turn on and recognize your HDD. Your HDD will have all the windows folders and previous data on there. It may be called windows.old or something like that.

Solution

shibbyshibby

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Thanks phil22, since I don't have an external hard drive readily available, I'll try fantastik250's way first, and hopefully that should work. Thanks for the help!